How do you install Windows 8.1 on a system with multiple hard drives? RRS feed

• Question

• Specifically a system with a User folder located on more than one drive. I have programs installed on both drives in order to save space on one (a small SSD boot drive). Upon trying to install windows 8.1, the Windows Store tells me my PC can't run Windows 8.1 and gives me the error 0xc1900102. Suggestions?
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:57 PM

Answers

• Here is the answer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722177(v=WS.10).aspx.

Quote from the article.

Using this setting to redirect folders to a drive other than the system volume blocks upgrades. Using ProfilesDirectory to point to a directory that is not the system volume will block SKU upgrades and upgrades to future versions of Windows. For example if you use Windows ... with ProfilesDirectory set to D:\, you will not be able to upgrade to Windows... or to the next version of Windows. The servicing stack does not handle cross-volume transactions, and it blocks upgrades.
    Straight from Microsoft.
    • Edited by DarienHawk67 Saturday, October 26, 2013 4:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, October 28, 2013 4:27 PM
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 4:35 PM

All replies

• Specifically a system with a User folder located on more than one drive. I have programs installed on both drives in order to save space on one (a small SSD boot drive). Upon trying to install windows 8.1, the Windows Store tells me my PC can't run Windows 8.1 and gives me the error 0xc1900102. Suggestions?
    I have the same System and same problem! Suggestions?
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:08 PM

Yeah my users directory is on another hard drive and the C drive (SSD) contains the system files. Doesn't let me upgrade to windows 8.1. What do we do?
    • Proposed as answer by NealCrocker Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:14 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by NealCrocker Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:14 PM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:13 PM
  • Has anyone tried creating default folders back on the C drive to see if this bypasses the issue, then remove these folders later back to original moved folder?

Is this only affecting the Windows Store download? What about a standalone ISO does that cause the same issue?

• Edited by NealCrocker Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:17 PM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:16 PM
  • Has anyone tried creating default folders back on the C drive to see if this bypasses the issue, then remove these folders later back to original moved folder?

Hi,

Too many things take as reference the new location across time to get it back.

As long as a lot of applications use the "appdata" dir to store a lot of thing a lock by microsoft about the location of the user dir is crazy. Event microsoft use it for temporary storage (AppData\Local\Temp) ...

My appdata is about 6,5 GB...

Only way they left to me is a full reinstall... With all softwares and settings to be set again...

Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:10 PM
  •  have the same problem with SSD and users on  my SATA

my user Folder is bigger that my SSD space so just changing the path and with this transferring everything is impossible

so I tried a work around by resetting the user Folder within the registry but at least in my case it did not work

maybe I forgot to change one path

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3738468893-3832851430-1496039481-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

by doing this you just create a new systemfoler; data stay at old place and later you change folder Location by path to the datafolder

this would be the easiest way if we would know which folder are needed 4 install

Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:05 PM
  • Hello,

Upgrade is not possible if the users folder has been moved

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:13 PM
  • Hello,

Upgrade is not possible if the users folder has been moved

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

And why? Better... Why isn't it an simple option yet in windows?
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:20 PM
  • Hello,

This has not changed with this release, this is the same behavior since at least Vista and I think XP as well.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Maybe start changing it then? Since more and more people are getting an SSD?
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Hello,

This has not changed with this release, this is the same behavior since at least Vista and I think XP as well.

Service pack, patch are not denied to be installed in previous versions if user dir is moved.

This is a new behavior.

Futhermore, sysprep allow to change the user dir. If it is not supported at all why a microsoft tool have the necessary to do it ?

AppData across time became a "trash" : temporary files inside (microsoft choice AppData\Local\Temp), program who store his own files (itunes software update...), ...

Mine is about 6,5 GB with a few months

Keeping all those data on a system disk or SSD have no meaning.

Same thing for programdata...Why can we not move the "start screen APP" datas ?

SDD are not "costless", space is valuable

• Edited by nAhuri Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:44 PM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:23 PM
  • Hello,

this is not a service pack , this is an OS upgrade.  If you look at the ADK documentation when running sysprep it tells you , that upgrade will not be possible if you move the user folders.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:43 PM
  • You call adding a start button and some fixed behaviour to a faulty product an OS upgrade? ... Great I can't wait for Windows 9 or Linux Mint 16
    • Edited by P3t3rU5.pt Friday, October 18, 2013 3:16 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 3:16 AM
  • Hmm, looks like service pack, smells like service pack.  But not service pack?

Friday, October 18, 2013 5:58 AM
  • Hello,

this is not a service pack , this is an OS upgrade.  If you look at the ADK documentation when running sysprep it tells you , that upgrade will not be possible if you move the user folders.

While all of that maybe true, so far, I cannot see any suggestions for fixing the apparent problem. All of us are turning here for help, as from my understanding this is a support forum. We have followed a documented procedure and sysprepped our systems, because today's hardware makes a dual setup with a system (SSD) and data drive (conventional HD) a sensible option. Also, we have paid for a product.

So please, let's move on. MS professionals, please start helping people here instead of just telling us that this behaviour is by design, or this or that doesn't work. There is always a way. Will changing reg keys and moving folders help? Provide a fixit?

Thanks in advance for changing this into a real support thread.

Best
    Guido

Friday, October 18, 2013 7:06 AM
  • I think that the only solution is to get the 8.1 ISO, then do a fresh installation and finally move the User / data / temp folders, as you did with 8.0... A real shame!!!

• Proposed as answer by jcdel77 Friday, October 18, 2013 9:43 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 9:22 AM
  • 1. Restore the user profile to the orginal location.

i didt it (reg relocation)  did not work same error

appdata was never changed totaly only document, links, favorite, pictures, music and Videos

2. Use reset or refresh to restore user profile.

refresh:

no personal data is changed

profile user is relocated?

tryed to refresh

error: not enough space for refesh on C

nice Job MS you love your SSD user

Friday, October 18, 2013 9:33 AM
  • Got it working :D... But it eats some time tho...

First run a cmd with admin privileges.

Then mklink /j C:\Users D:\Users

(Change D if you have users on other drive)

Now follow this guilde untill the profiles directory

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4275-user-profiles-relocate-another-partition-disk.html

Change it to %SystemDrive%\Users

Finish the guide and let it do its thing. (This will leave your Users map on the HDD)

Now activate the Administrator account

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9650-built-administrator-account-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html

Remove the mklink of C:\Users. Then copy the (hidden) Default User profile from D:\Users to C:\Users (yes create Users on the C partition)

Then log off and log in as the admin account.

Create a new online account (get an alternate email or make an account alias at https://account.live.com/summarypage.aspx)

Download and install the windows 8.1 Upgrade and let it finish everything (Took 3 hours at me)

Then login with your main account. It will generate a new account.

Restart your PC and login with the admin account.

Goto C:\Users and look what name it got. If the name is crappy then you can rename it at: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\<your profile ID>

Then do a mklink /j C:\Users\<ProfileName> D:\Users\<ProfileName>

Now restart the pc and login on your main account.

If everything went well you will have your old account back.

Now you can remove the C:\Users map and do a mklink /j C:\Users D:\Users

P.S. My store doesn't work anymore after this...
    Friday, October 18, 2013 9:02 PM
  • Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 worked fine with moved user folders.

It's a new behaviour for the small step from Win8 to Win8.1!

Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:04 PM
  • Here is the answer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722177(v=WS.10).aspx.

Quote from the article.

Using this setting to redirect folders to a drive other than the system volume blocks upgrades. Using ProfilesDirectory to point to a directory that is not the system volume will block SKU upgrades and upgrades to future versions of Windows. For example if you use Windows ... with ProfilesDirectory set to D:\, you will not be able to upgrade to Windows... or to the next version of Windows. The servicing stack does not handle cross-volume transactions, and it blocks upgrades.
    Straight from Microsoft.
    • Edited by DarienHawk67 Saturday, October 26, 2013 4:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, October 28, 2013 4:27 PM
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 4:35 PM
  • Not only will the Store not work, but your solution will break some (not all) updates.  For example, if you now want to install RSAT 8.1, it will not install.  Likewise for some other updates and enhancements.

Tread carefully.  When going against MSFT recommendations, things will get hairy and messy fast.

Saturday, October 26, 2013 4:41 PM
  • So lets be clear here, the answer is don't do this in the first place. However the question was if I have done it can MS please provide a resolution as opposed to just saying no. While we appreciate the clarity, I am not sure that we appreciate the lack of help.

I cannot go back to fitting everything on the flash drive and I don't want the speed of the SATA. So we are back to MS trying to actually help rather than saying no.

I am not sure that the marketing department want to hear me say No to the question. Would you like to buy MS in the future?

Please MS - start to add value to your new product or you will lose us to someone else's.

Bruce

Monday, December 2, 2013 9:35 AM
  • For "The Gods Devil" and others that may deal with store or app updates not working!

Run regedit.exe with Administrators rights and try modifying keys in:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
    Folders" and<o:p></o:p>

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
    Folders"<o:p></o:p>

from
    "C:\Users" to "D:\Users" and from
    "C:\ProgramData" to "D:\ProgramData"<o:p></o:p>

from
    "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository" to
    "D:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository"

Monday, February 17, 2014 7:47 PM