Frame Skips, Audio stutter, computer lags...

• Hi guys,

I have a Lenovo N100 system, came with 1GB, and after a long time of suffering, finally upgraded to 2GB. It really felt like the speed and the OS and performance are performing quicker and better, but this problem keeps returning:

In the middle of watching a video (not a really high resolution, your usual 350MB DivX file of 40 minute shows), or even listening to music, or none - just surfing the web, the computer starts lagging. I get the annoying circling blue thingy, which lags, starts stuttering - this goes on for about 20-30 seconds, and then computer returns to normal, more or less.
    This happens whether computer was just booted, or after 20 hours of activity.
    The only things that are running at the time are hardly uTorrent (not many downloads, mostly just one), messenger, Fireforx, AVG, and Diskeeper in the background.

Needless to say, the same phenomena occurred with 1GB of RAM, as with 2GB of RAM.
    Tried turning off Diskeeper - no use.
    Ran every hardware check - memory is fine, processor fine, hardrive with no errors, no fragmentation, tried deleting page file and putting back on again, ran every Anti-Virus and Malware scanners possible - nothing.
    Ran Performance & Reliability monitor, when this happens, it shows:

What spikes at the minute this happens, is Memory - "Pages/Sec" - to 100
    "% Processor Time" - to 100 - just as Pages/Sec reaches the max, the Processor time kicks in...
    And also Processor "% User Time" - peaks, though to just about 50%.
    Also a very small peak at ""%Disk Read Time" - but just to about 5.

Any ideas what could cause the problem?
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:14 PM

All replies

• Well, any ideas? I'm still stuck with this annoying symptom of god-knows-what.
    Please, help!
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 6:22 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Normally, performance issue can be caused by third party programs. At first time, let’s take a clean boot to troubleshoot this problem.

Clean Boot

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please monitor the system in the Clean Boot environment. If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Hope it helps.

Monday, October 20, 2008 8:00 AM
  • Already tried that. Same thing.
    Monday, October 20, 2008 8:18 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Given the situation, could you please help me confirm the following points?

1.      When the issue occurs?

2.      Do you install any software recently?

3.      Does the issue occur in Safe Mode?

Then, please collect your Event Log for me. I will take a further research on it.

Event Log

1. Click "Start", input "eventvwr" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar and press Enter.

2. Right click on "Application" on the left frame, choose "Save Log file As"; in the pop-up window, click to choose the Desktop icon on the left frame, input "app" in the "File name" blank, and then click save.

3. Right click on "System", with the same method, save it as "sys".

4. Locate the two saved log files on the Desktop and upload them to the following link:

Password: mef%gLvm9YouTZkz

Your cooperation is highly appreciated.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Zhang hello, thanks for the reply.

This has started about a month ago, with no new software being installed.
    It occurs randomly. Most notable when media is used - audio or video, however, it occurs without it as well, as I already noticed.
    Haven't tried it on safe mode yet, will try along the day.

Will do what you said and send it to you.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:07 AM
  • Zhang,

Per your request, both logs have been uploaded.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:27 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for sending logs. I have received them.

After checking the logs, I found there are few errors on system. I noticed a file named logmon.exe causes an error regularly. The file may belongs to Rescue and Recovery or Lenovo tools. Please understand that I cannot re-produce the error on my test environment and I cannot narrow down whether it is culprit. If possible, could you please check the file on your side?

In addition, please let me know whether the issue persists in Safe Mode.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:03 AM
  • Zhang hello,

Logmon.exe is inedeed related to the Lenovo Rescue and Recovery. Apparently, this error persisted from Day1, and the people at Lenovo said it's a known bug.
    It has happened since Day1 with the laptop, not related to the lags whatsoever.

I have tried a selective start-up, disabling all services, and now trying to indulge the system to stutter - using HD video, in addition to Winamp, using Wireless Internet, still nothing.

I read somewhere it might have something to do with poor cooperation between the Wireless LAN card and the audio/video cards.
    Any idea?
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:45 AM

Under Performance Information and Tools.
    Adjust Indexing options – Turn off indexing
    Adjust Power settings – Set to High Performance
    Adjust Visual effects – Set to Adjust for Performance
    See if those items will help increase the system performance because I’ve had similar
    Issues and after making those changes everything was fine.
    I run those exact types of media, Divx and Winamp most of the time but now that I have a TV tuner I’m using Media Center and even that’s running smooth and this all on older hardware.

Good Luck I Feel Your Pain!

Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:07 PM
  • Hey, thanks for the advice
    As I said before, indexing was turned off a long while ago, aero was disabled as well, same with shadows under menus, mouse and etc.
    Power settings are of course on high performance - from day 1.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:39 PM
  • Well, after doing a selective startup with no 3rd party services or programs running, still got the stutter while watching a video.
    It seems to me this is a Microsoft Service gone bad, rather than a 3rd party one.
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 1:31 PM
  • What apps are you playing media in?

If its Winamp make sure the Winamp agent or Winamp remote isn't loaded.

If you could send me a list of the running task's and a copy of your services that would be helpful.

And what version of Vista is it your running and is service pack 1 loaded.

What ever the problem is I'm sure the solution can't be to major to figure out.

From the way it sounds its not a Vista issue it may be that one of your programs did an auto update and the

new revision is having a problem with Vista.

Or Ive also seen some of these codec packs cause problems.

So far I've managed to get Vista Ultimate 64 and 32 running with no problems on unsupported system's.

Things got a little out of hand while running dual TV tuners with media center so I could record a channel while watching a  differant one even though its something I'd never use I still had to try it : )

My email is if you want to send those. has some pretty good Vista info for performance issue's.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 1:48 PM
  • Well, as I said in my first post, this occurs even without playing media - it happens randomly, as I said.
    It can happen even when I'm just running firefox, uTorrent, and MSN messenger. So this is NOT a media player issue.
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 1:51 PM
  • Guys, any ideas? Stutters still occur, apparently, after disabling everything that is not Microsoft, computer still stutters...
    HAS to be a Microsoft issue.
    Friday, October 24, 2008 4:05 PM
  • Hi,

If possible, could you please upgrade your BIOS version and take a In-place upgrade to troubleshoot the problem?

If the issue is caused by Windows Vista corrupt system files, In-place Upgrade should fix the problem.

In-place Upgrade Installation

Technically, you won’t lose any data to take an In-place Upgrade Installation. In order to avoid any unexpected problem. I suggest you backup your data before taking In-place Upgrade Installation.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears.

Click Install now.

If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Hope it helps.

Monday, October 27, 2008 9:21 AM
  • Zhang hello,

I have the most recent BIOS issued by the manufacturer.

What is that In-Place you just offered?
    I have a problem though, as my laptop came with Vista Pre-Installed as OEM, and I do not have a Vista DVD.
    What can I do?
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

You can try to contact manufacturer to check whether they can offer a Windows Vista installation DVD.

On the other hand, you can try to run SFC first.

Use the System File Checker (SFC) to scan system files

The System File Checker tool enable an administrator to scan all protected files to verify their versions. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click "Start", type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" box. Right click on the "CMD.exe" file, choose "Run as Administrator"

2. Copy and paste "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow", this command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Tried the SFC command - found nothing wrong, as expected.

Lenovo does not supply a Vista Installation DVD.
    Any ideas?
    Friday, October 31, 2008 4:54 PM
  • Zhang hello,

This still occurs, do you have any other idea?
    Wednesday, November 05, 2008 8:27 AM
  • TamirMeiri,

I'm having what sounds like exactly the same problem as you. However, I've ruled out any software interference seing as I can the skips and stutters even when loading windows. Furthermore, I reformated my harddrive (as I had been planning on it anyway) and not only did the problem continue after a clean install, but it froze and stuttered during the reformat process itself. This strongly hints towards a hardware related problem... though of what component, I'm not sure. When my browser kept freezing, or audio or video, I intitially got frustrated and smacked the top of my computer tower Stick out tongue Ironically, this seems to jumpstart my computer back to action... now every time it lags with anything I just give it a little bang on the noggin... unfortunately this doesn't fix anything, and I'm just as desperate for a solution as you are. But maybe you should start looking at it from a hardward malfunction angle.

Here are my basic specs, just to compare:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
    Core Processor 3800+
    2.00 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

Hope we can both find a solution. If you find one elsewhere, be sure to post here and let me know and I'll do the same...

edit: Also, I'm running Windows XP, not Vista

Saturday, November 08, 2008 7:17 PM
  • Laptop has visited the Lenovo central here in Israel.
    No hardware issues were found.
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:38 PM