none
Sysprep on vista

Question

• Hi,

I have installed Vista RC1 (Build: 5600) and running sysprep using command "sysprep /generalize /oobe /reboot /unattend:c:\windows\system32\sysprep\unattend.xml", then sysprep tool starts up and gives error message "Fatal error while executing  Sysprep". Setuperr.log contains following error messages

2006-09-11 22:49:10, Error      [0x0f0082] SYSPRP LaunchDll:Failure occurred while executing 'drmv2clt.dll,Sysprep', returned error code -2147024864[gle=0x00000020]

2006-09-11 22:49:10, Error      [0x0f0070] SYSPRP RunExternalDlls:An error occurred while running registry sysprep DLLs, halting sysprep execution. dwRet = -2147024864[gle=0x00000020]

2006-09-11 22:49:10, Error      [0x0f00a8] SYSPRP WinMain:Hit failure while processing sysprep cleanup providers; hr = 0x80070020[gle=0x00000020]

I am running sysprep command in administrator account.

Any idea why this is happening...?

Thanks,

Rahul

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 8:58 AM

Answers

• This error will happen if anything is using Digital Rights Management (DRM) when sysprep tries to run.  There are two services that typically cause this:

Windows Media Player Netwroking Sharing Service

Windows Media Center Receiver Service

You can stop these before running sysprep:

Code Snippet

Net stop WMPNetworkSvr

Net Stop ehrecvr

-Michael

• Proposed as answer by Trev Scott Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Sunday, March 04, 2012 10:39 AM
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 12:07 AM

All replies

• to sort out this issue...you need to close handle of drmv2clt.dll (any dll mentioned in the error log) or you can close process using this dll. this is because dll file is in use by another process and sysprep could not delet it, but i think sysprep should close the respective process and delete it.

Thursday, September 21, 2006 5:42 AM
  • The switch "/OOBE" needs to be the first switch that you use or call... then you can use other switches like /generalize.
    Tuesday, April 03, 2007 4:28 AM
  • could you try the same on Vista RTM to see if this problem exists?

also, sysprep won't try to delete that dll. it just tries to call it, and that dll returned error 0x20, for whatever reason.

I have seen similar problems but I can't recall the exact reason. But I believe we tested it in sysprep before RTM. So please try RTM.

also, the order of sysprep switch shouldn't matter. /generalize /oobe, or the other way, should both work.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 10:27 PM
  • Hi,

i have the exact same problem and error messages with Vista Final.

Is there any solution avail for this problem ?

Greets

Manuel

Friday, April 13, 2007 12:34 PM
  • Hi there,

I have the same problem, too. System ist Windows Vista Home Premium Final.

I think that the installed drivers breaks the sysprep-function.

The following drivers are installed:

- nvidia nForce for the 405er chipset (latest from nvidia.com)

- ATi graphics 7.4

- Realtek high definition audio driver ver:R1.53

Greets

Bjoern Schroeder

Thursday, May 24, 2007 11:29 AM
  • I'm not sure what the error messages are trying to tell you, but are you running your command prompt/window from the start menu under accessories? If you select "start" "run" "cmd" and hit enter it tells you that the task will run with admin privileges. However, if you run it from Start, All Programs, Accessories, you will get a more powerful command prompt with privileges that are more like "root admin". Also, I have noticed that you actually have to honor the 3 sysprep rule with Vista, any more than that and you will corrupt your image. I build my Vista OS, then reboot the machine to a WinPE cd and capture the image with Imagex in an unsysprepped state. That way I can redeploy my known good image if it gets screwed up during R&D.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 5:07 PM
  • This error will happen if anything is using Digital Rights Management (DRM) when sysprep tries to run.  There are two services that typically cause this:

Windows Media Player Netwroking Sharing Service

Windows Media Center Receiver Service

You can stop these before running sysprep:

Code Snippet

Net stop WMPNetworkSvr

Net Stop ehrecvr

-Michael

• Proposed as answer by Trev Scott Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Sunday, March 04, 2012 10:39 AM
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 12:07 AM
  • Did the trick.
    Saw the Media Player fix mentioned in a few places but I still had the error after implementing.  Michael here is the first to note Player and Media Center service. Tried it as well and...presto!!! Cudos to Michael...big thx!!!
    Daniel C.
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 2:12 AM
  • - awesome tip! that fixed it. running win7 pro rtm btw. cheers!
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:45 PM