none
Require clarification in Cbs logs of Windows 7 Professional operating system.

Question

• Hi Support,

I am using Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) operating system.

I have scanned the pc in command prompt by the following command.

sfc /scannow.

Once it has scanned 100% completed,it shows some files are corrupted and needs to check the cbs log file.

I have checked the logs of cbs and most of the files are in zip format.I didn't understand about that.

Pls.let me know wheteher we can delete all the files inside the CBS folder.

Let us know what will happen if we delete all the files in cbs folder?whether it will affect operating system.

The screenshots are attached for your reference.

Your support is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

R.Pradeep

Friday, January 29, 2016 11:13 AM

Answers

• Firstly, I recommend you do NOT delete the cbs.log files.  It might be safe to delete the .cab files, but deleting CBS.LOG itself can cause problems with running sfc in the future.

Second, since sfc reported corrupt files, the cbs log should be analyzed to identify the problems found. See below
    How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista  (This is the same in Windows 7).
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/928228

Also, since the 7F error with a first parameter of 3 indicates a problem with a process. it might be helpful to see what happens in safe mode and a clean boot (depending on how you make out with the dmp files if you can submit them).

Thursday, February 4, 2016 8:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Refere to the above reply,i am getting a blue screen error in the laptop.

The screenshots are attached for your reference.

Pls.let me kniow how to fix this issue.

Your support is highly appreciated.

Regards

R.Pradeep

Friday, January 29, 2016 11:44 AM
  • Hi pradeeppdy,

Thank you for your question.

Did BSOD occur after you delete CBS log?

CBS log is a file that is generated by the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker(SFC.exe). if you are sure OS is running fine, we could delete it.

As your issue, we suggest you post the DMP file to us for troubleshooting:

C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP or %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 1, 2016 8:25 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

But i am not able to see the Memory.dmp in c drive.(i.e) C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.It is not there.

Pls.let me know where i put this command %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP.

Regards

R.Pradeep

Monday, February 1, 2016 12:51 PM
  •  
    We do need the actual log files (called a DMP files) as they contain the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here
    If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Tuesday, February 2, 2016 8:18 AM
    Monday, February 1, 2016 5:16 PM
  • Hi Jin,

I will update to you shortly.

Regards

R.Pradeep

Thursday, February 4, 2016 3:09 PM
  • Firstly, I recommend you do NOT delete the cbs.log files.  It might be safe to delete the .cab files, but deleting CBS.LOG itself can cause problems with running sfc in the future.

Second, since sfc reported corrupt files, the cbs log should be analyzed to identify the problems found. See below
    How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista  (This is the same in Windows 7).
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/928228

Also, since the 7F error with a first parameter of 3 indicates a problem with a process. it might be helpful to see what happens in safe mode and a clean boot (depending on how you make out with the dmp files if you can submit them).

Thursday, February 4, 2016 8:41 PM
  • Hi ZigZag,

Refer to your reply &  link,i have Windows 7 Professional operating system (64 bit).

Under the Advanced tab,i have checked Start up & Recovery settings button.Under the heading of Write debugging information the default is selected as" Kernel Dump Memory " & after that i have changed the settings in the laptop as "Small Memory Dump (256 kb) " & Small dump directory automatically selected as "%SystemRoot%\Minidump".

Pls.let me know wheteher i need to change all the laptop & desktop settings as "Small Memory Dump (256 kb)" & Small dump directory as "%SystemRoot%\Minidump".

Pls. advise.

Thanks & Regards

R.Pradeep

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 4:45 AM
  • Kernel DMP will also work it is just that a small memory DMP will be faster for you to upload and us to download in any case minidumps are located in C:\windows\minidump

Full memory dumps are located @ C:\windows and are called MEMORY.DMP

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:44 PM
  • Hi ZigZag,

Thanks for your reply.

In my laptop, I am not able to see MEMORY.DMP folders located in C:\WINDOWS .It is not there in C:\WINDOWS.

What i understood is that i can able to see lot of folders in C:\ WINDOWS and some files are there.Is these folders and some files are called MEMORY.DMP.

Is there any separate folder will be located in c:\windows for MEMORY.DMP.

Pls.clarify.

Thanks

Regards

R.Pradeep

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 4:54 PM