none
Duplicate computer showing on remote web access homepage. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - i'm having a strange issue.  On my remote webaccess home page i'm seeing a duplicate computer.  i only have one computer named oneway.  A 2nd computer is missing from this list.  Everything on the actual server dashboard is correct.  Anyone know how to troubleshoot or fix this?
    Monday, May 6, 2013 1:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Is it the same for anyone who logs in?

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Monday, May 6, 2013 1:51 PM
  • PC's that show up seem to varry a lot:

An admin on server essentials:  the duplicate computer shows, one comptuer is missing.

A non-admin (standard) with anywhere access/remote web access shows only the server console,

A different non-admin (standard) with anywhere access shows no computers.

I found the options under user accounts to define what comptuers show up.  It appears that on all users the one PC is missing.  Now that PC did back up last night so it seems to be OK.  It is off network at the moment as its a laptop.  I might understand why the device doesn't show up right now but I am confused as to why I see a duplicate PC when logging in with the admin account.

Monday, May 6, 2013 2:16 PM
  • I have noticed the same thing on my server.  It shows a duplicate computer for my admin and non-admin accounts.  I had searched this issue before and it appears this is because the page is displaying the last three computers used.  This issue seems to affect older versions of WHS as well. When you click the connect to more computers link the duplicate issue does not happen.

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?/topic/21861-remote-access-web-site-same-computer-name-duplicated-in-rdp-pane/

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 12:36 AM
  • Hi Team, has anyone managed to find a fix or work around for this. The only ways I have managed to work around is to rename the effected device or sign in to the remote web access page with an alternate account.
    Friday, August 23, 2013 6:45 AM
  • I have fixed this before and it drove me nuts. You have to delete the profile for say the administrator for the remote web access and when you log on again it will be fixed. However I am not sure where it is located on the AD server, I can't remember and cannot find the article regarding this. This happens when you run the connector software a second time on a particular computer or another server. I will look at past emails and see if I can find the solution.

James Pickhardt

Thursday, August 18, 2016 4:47 PM
  • I have fixed this before and it drove me nuts. You have to delete the profile for say the administrator for the remote web access and when you log on again it will be fixed. However I am not sure where it is located on the AD server, I can't remember and cannot find the article regarding this. This happens when you run the connector software a second time on a particular computer or another server. I will look at past emails and see if I can find the solution.

James Pickhardt

This is driving me nuts as well.  It started happening after I rebuilt my workstation and used the same computer name.  When I login to the remote access with a different account, the computer is not duplicated, so it does appear to be tied to the one login that I use most of the time.  Did you ever find out how you fixed this?
    Tuesday, July 24, 2018 8:14 PM
  • I continued to search the web and found a solution that worked for me over here...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/2844050/windows-storage-server-2008-r2-remote-web-access-page-displays-incorre

Resolution

To resolve this issue, follow the steps below on the Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials server:

1. Log onto the Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 server using an administrator's account.
    2. Open Windows Explorer and from the menu select Tools->Folder options. On the View tab, select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives". Also unselect "Hide extensions for known file types". After doing so, select OK to save the changes.
    3. From Windows Explorer, locate the following folder: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Data\SettingsProviderData\RemoteAccess\UserProfile.
    4. Find the file index.xml, right-click on it and select Edit to open it in Notepad.
    5. Search for the user name that is experiencing problems with the Remote Access web page. Below the user name will be a string value associated with the user name. Write down this string value as it will be needed later. An example would be:

<String>WDC19306-WSS\WSSAdmin</string>
      <String>fd8dc0f0-d7bd-45eb-b8ce-5b9a80e7da37</string>
    6. Close Notepad and be sure not to make any changes to the Index.xml file.
    7. Within the same folder as index.xml, locate the XML with the string value identified in step 5 and rename the file extension from *.xml to *.old. Using the example in step 5, the file would be named: fd8dc0f0-d7bd-45eb-b8ce-5b9a80e7da37.xml.
    8. On the client PC that is still connected to the Remote Web Access page, log off and back on to the website.

Once these steps have been completed, a new Remote Access XML file will be created for the user.

NOTE: If the user has made any customizations for their Remote Web Access page, those settings will be lost and will need to be reconfigured. In addition, if the server Dashboard consistently shows the client PC status as being Offline, you may need to uninstall and re-install the Connector software on the client PC.

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 8:26 PM