none
Getting "System error 66 has occurred." when using NET USE in XP Mode.

Question

• I have a Win7-64 system and need to print from an old DOS application. I have the DOS app running under XP Mode. But I have been unable to get the Net Use command to work. I get a:

System error 66 has occurred.
    The network resource type is not correct.

I used: net use lpt1: \\T5500\MFC-7420 /persistent:yes
    I know the host computer name and printer share name are correct. (And turned on in the host's Printer Properties.)

What I tried: First there was no Net View when run from XP's cmd prompt. To get this to run I did these two things:

- I had installed Windows Firewall in XP. I opened the Security Center and for "Manage security settings for: Windows Firewall" I clicked the exceptions tab and checked "File and Printer Sharing."
    - In Win7's Windows Firewall Advanced Settings I turned off the private profile.

I then ran Net View at XP's cmd prompt and it now listed the virtual XP computer, and only it.

In XP's Control Panel I ran the Network Setup Wizard to put XP in the same workgroup (named WORKGROUP).

In the host's Network and Sharing Center printers has always been checked in the Homegroup Settings.

The System error 66 has not gone away.

• Edited by Don Wiss Tuesday, January 03, 2012 12:30 PM
    Monday, January 02, 2012 5:34 PM

All replies

• What is your XP Mode network set to, shared or the host's NIC?  To access the host PC via the network you'd need to have XP Mode use the host's NIC and get an IP address on the local network.  The default NAT option won't work properly, if at all.
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 9:56 PM
  • "What is your XP Mode network set to, shared or the host's NIC?"

Where do I find this and what steps to change it? I can find XP's Network Connections, but then what?

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 11:48 PM
  • The settings will be on the Windows 7 side, not in XP Mode.

From the WinVPC help file:

To configure networking for a virtual machine

1. Open the settings for the virtual machine. Do one of the following:
      • In the Virtual Machines folder, right-click the name of the virtual machine, and then click Settings.

• From the virtual machine window, click the Tools menu, and then click Settings.

2. In the left pane of the Windows Virtual PC Settings page, click Networking.
    3. To add or remove a network adapter, click the new number of network adapters you want. When you add a network adapter, it is disconnected.
    4. To connect the network adapter to an available type of connection, select it from the drop-down list next to an available network adapter.
    5. Click OK to save the change.

Also: http://smudj.wordpress.com/2012/01/03/how-to-access-xp-modes-network-settings/

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 3:09 AM
  • Okay. I followed your post and changed the Networking Adapter to my hardware adapter and I rebooted XP. I then went to XP's Network Connections and had it automatically obtain an IP address and DNS server. I then ran XP's Network Setup Wizard. I still get the error 66.

Running IPCONFIG from the cmd prompt gets:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: [blank]

Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.160.238

Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway: [blank]

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 7:38 PM
  • if you're getting a 169.x.x.x IP address, you have no network connectivity, that IP range is what Windows assigns if it cannot reach a DHCP server.

See here http://smudj.wordpress.com/2012/01/03/how-to-access-xp-modes-network-settings/ for things to check

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 10:30 PM
  • I had followed that page before. The only difference is before I booted XP. This time I ran the /release and got 0.0.0.0's. I ran /renew and I got that it was unable to contact my DHCP server and the request times out. Running ipconfig shows a 169.x.x.x IP address was reassigned.

I clicked the Local Area Connection Status in XP's Tray and clicked Repair. It did not work.

I have a wired network only. No wireless.

Thursday, January 05, 2012 2:13 AM
  • What is your network configuration?  Do you have a router?  Where do you get your IP addresses from?

What are your options in the Network settings for XP Mode?  Which option did you pick?

Thursday, January 05, 2012 8:08 AM
  • >What is your network configuration?  Do you have a router?

The router is built into the DOCSIS cable modem. Time Warner does not give me any control panel to control the modem. For example, if I want wireless turned on I have to phone TW.

>Where do you get your IP addresses from?

I don't know. I don't remember what the cable guy did.

>What are your options in the Network settings for XP Mode? 

Not Connected; Internal Network; Standard Networking (NAT); Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller.

>Which option did you pick?

Broadcom.

Thursday, January 05, 2012 11:36 AM
  • Ok, now we're getting somewhere.  On you host windows 7, can you go to the cmd prompt and do

ipconfig /all

and post the information from the Broadcom section of it?

It should look something like this:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : net.local
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D0-67-E5-36-7F-A1
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.18(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:01:46 AM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 05, 2012 12:01:46 PM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.246
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.246
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Thursday, January 05, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : nyc.rr.com
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-25-64-A4-04-E3
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b1f4:fc73:a4b5:16ab%10(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 24.193.5.8(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 01, 2012 1:04:14 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 05, 2012 7:17:03 PM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 24.193.4.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.83.192.1
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234890596
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-B1-E8-9A-00-25-64-A4-04-E3
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.18.47.61
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 7:29 PM
  • Ok, so it looks like you're getting your IP address directly from the cable provider.  Most of the time, they only give you one, so trying to use our host NIC isn't going to work unless we put a router in between the modem and your computer.

I think the only other option would be to use a loopback adapter on the host to get you host-guest networking.

Thursday, January 05, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Well, this DOCSIS connection costs plenty. And it isn't like I want it. FiOS isn't yet in my neighborhood, making the DSL bandwidth congested. So I called Time-Warner. As I put network wires throughout my house, when I had the modem installed I had them turn off wireless. What I learned tonight is turning off wireless also turned off the router part of the modem. By turning on wireless a PC can get an address. The host PC now has:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

When I run ipconfig on the XP a Default Gateway of 192.168.0.1 is now listed.

So I tried the Net Use command on the XP. It came back with "The password or user name is invalid for \\T5500\MFC-7420." I entered my user name. I then gave an empty enter for password, as I don't believe I ever set one. I am used to running net use commands in batch files in the background with no user prompts.

Thursday, January 05, 2012 11:19 PM
  • Well, we are making progress!  At least you're connecting to the host now.

Do you have a password when you log into your Windows 7, or when you unlock it?

Friday, January 06, 2012 5:14 AM
  • No login comes up when I boot into Windows 7. I can lock and unlock my Don user with no login prompt. There is nothing in my machine installation notes noting that I did anything special when I set up my machine.

Now after I get this working on my machine, I have to go back and edit out what I did that was unnecessary, and package the instructions. I have another user that needs to print. What we have been doing is running the application under the DOSBox, but that was written for gamers and there is no printing.

Then, as 64-bit CPUs become more popular (they are now showing up in laptops with Home Premium*), there will be more users of this application that are going to want to print.

I just did a speed comparison test. In processing that was a mix of calculations and reading in of files, the XP Mode was three times faster than DOSBox. But both fast.

* Giving people that want to print from 16-bit applications the choice of either upgrading to Pro or installing some other licensed XP under Windows Virtual PC.

Friday, January 06, 2012 12:10 PM
  • In Windows XP, can you browse the network shares on Windows 7? 
    Friday, January 06, 2012 6:25 PM
  • In XP I can see all of my T5500 drives. They are listed like "C on T5500." There is also a Shared Documents folder on XP (for music, pictures, and videos), though there is nothing in them, as I use different folder locations for these.

Friday, January 06, 2012 7:36 PM