none
Capturing an Image with ImageX

Question

• I am attempting to capture an image using imageX.  I have my Windows PE boot disk which has ImageX on it as well.  Once in the PE enviroment on the machine I want to image I first map a drive to the network as this is where I want to send my image to.  This works fine. 

Once I have done this I run the following command d:\imagex.exe /capture C: e:\installimage.wim "mywin7 Install" /compress fast /verify

However it gets to 2% and then errors on a certain file  and states another error saying "The system cannot find the file specified"  At first I thougt it may just be one troublesome file so I booted into windows and deleted it through explorer.  However when re running the imageX command in the PE environment it errored on another file.  I have plenty of free space on the machine I am trying to image up and its has 2GB RAM. 

Any ideas why this might be happening?  I would like to ImageX just to continue past any files it cannot read to complete the image but it just fails.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:26 PM

All replies

• Try to image to a local drive. If you have a lot of space on drive C:, you can run

D:

ImageX /capture c: c:\MyWin7Image.wim "My reference installation"

You can later copy image to a network drive.

I usually don't specify /compress and /verify switches.

Also check that you can write to network drive.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 3:31 PM
  • I have just done exactly as you said and it got to 5% and then came across a corrup temp internet file and so errored.

It seems as soon as ImageX comes across something it cannot read it just bombs out.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:21 PM
  • Hm, smells fishy.

Either you have faulty computer, or some malware?

Are all the corrupt files from the Internet temp folder? Can you edit Wimscript.ini to exclude Internet temp folder? Wimscript.ini should be in the same folder as ImageX. It looks something like this:

[ExclusionList]
    ntfs.log
    hiberfil.sys
    pagefile.sys
    "System Volume Information"
    RECYCLER
    Windows\CSC

[CompressionExclusionList]
    *.mp3
    *.zip
    *.cab
    \WINDOWS\inf\*.pnf

Can you try some other command, for example 'xcopy' to see if it will fail too?

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:45 PM
  • I had the same situation and sad to say but I ended up having to re-do my image and then all worked fine.  I really wanted to know what was causing the problem but I realized I was wasting too much time and it was quicker just to re-do my image.   Not a happy thought though when you've spent hours tweaking your image!
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:50 AM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Ok Guys, Thanks for all this info...

What I have done now is set up a Windows Deployment Server (WDS).  I have created a boot.wim image and a custom install image.  I have also created a capture boot image which allows me to capture an image up as a wim file.  This is all working great so far.  However the custom images I am capturing include all the drivers and applications for a particular model.  So I have an image for say a Optiplex 780, Optiplex 760 and so on.  What I want to do is have one image with just the OS on which will apply to hardware models and then went this image is applied it pulls apps and drivers in from the WDS server.  So in effect as the image is applied I want it to pull the apps and drivers from elsewhere.  Is this possible to cut down on the amount of images I have?

Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:12 AM
  • It's possible, but not with WDS.

It's possible with

1. MDT2010 Update 1 in a semi automatic way; Lite Touch Installation or LTI
      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3bd8561f-77ac-4400-a0c1-fe871c461a89&displaylang=en#filelist
    2. System Center Configuration Manager in fully automatic way; Zero Touch Installation or ZTI. 
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:19 AM
  • Ok, Thanks Les,

I have just managed to get a copy of Microsoft Windows System Center Configuration Manager 2007 so I shall have a play with that and see if I can achieve what I am trying to do.

Many Thanks

Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:45 AM
  • I can't speak for the applications you add to your image but as for the drivers on your image, I would recommend checking out DISM.  It's a great tool and has made my life a lot easier.  We're a Dell shop too and I basically can use the same image for Optiplex 620 - Optiplex 780 and all of our Latitude laptops.  Course, part of the reason I use DISM is because we use Altiris dor imaging and their driver handling it rather lousy so I was pretty happy when DISM came out.  It might be eaiser for you to stick with WDS or SCCM - I don't know this part.  In any case, you can read about it here: 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd490958.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799258(WS.10).aspx

Thursday, July 22, 2010 12:34 PM