none
On laptop volume and power missing from system tray

Question

•  

I downloaded and installed Vista SP1 today and when I did I can no longer see my volume control and power source in the system tray of my laptop. When I go to properties to fix this they are a light gray and can't be checked...how do I get them back?
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 12:34 AM

Answers

All replies

• Go to the following website.

Notification area icons missing in Vista - The Winhelponline Blog:
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/notification-area-icons-missing-in-vista/

Read the article, download the TrayIcons.reg file to the Desktop. Right click the file and select the 'Merge' option.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:53 PM
  • In the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" dialogue window and "Notification Area" tab, my Volume and Network selections were also greyed out. 

I didn't have any luck with the messing with the registry.  A lot of posts had that guidance, but I didn't have the entries to delete. 

What I did was:
    1- go to control pane/ user management
    2- select "turn user accont control on or off"
    3- uncheck "use UAC to help protet your computer" then OK
    4- restarted machine (as required for this change)

then, the volumn and network check boxes were no longer grey'd out and I was able to select them.  I then reversed the procedure above and restarted again and all was the way I wanted.  Good Luck. 

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:57 PM
  • I also had the problem of my volume icon and network or in my case my wifi icon missing from the notification area.When I rebooted, I then also lost the laptop power icon.Just right clicking this area and going to properties where you would nomally be able to select what icons are displayed here didn't work as the boxes for volume and network were grayed out and not funtioning.After a Google search it became obvious this was a fairly common problem for alot of others,and alot of different solutions most involving the registry and what not which was more than I was realy hoping to get into.Found this solution here posted by PeterOxman and tryed it,and found it worked PERFECTLY just as stated.Thanks alot for your help in solving this problem for me. Note: I am running Windows Vista sp1 home edition ultimate.Alot of the suggestions I was finding were for XP and were for getting the sound itself back on with the icon too,My sound and network and everything were still working with this problem, just no icons in notification area if i went to sound in control panel i could still adjust the master volume.Would definaty recommend to anyone with this problem to take the solution provided by PeterOxman above here first off as it is simple and best of all it works.One last small thing,in control panel, the one you click on there on my system anyway it was called "User Accounts"aparenty it's called "User management on some others, same thing, after that it was to the letter by intructions above. Thanks again PeterOxman.
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 9:48 AM
  • I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!  (My problem was the volume & internet connection icons.)

"Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows Vista, but only for Service Pack 1 (SP1). This support for SP1 is valid until March 18, 2009. Availability of chat or e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. For customers residing in North America or Canada, chat and e-mail support is available."

You have to insist that the loss of the icons is as a result of installing the update, otherwise they try to charge you$59.00!

Look for the link for support for the FREE SUPPORT for Vista SP-1 update: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?prid=11274&gprid=500921

You have 3 options, call, email or chat. 

I called and the tech. was not familiar with this problem and he said for me to "reboot" because he has the same problem on his computer.  I said that was unacceptable and wanted a "solution".

You have to download a software program to allow the connection, and afterwards it gives you the option to uninstall.  You can watch everything they do while connected and he explained all of the steps as he worked.

He then looked up the problem and had me connect directly with him.  He took control of my computer, went into the "registry" and did something to the "icon streams" & "Past icon streams".  This looks like it really took care of the problem and it's free!

As long as I keep the case number, I get 6 months of continued support for this problem.

This was great and I am relieved.  Hope this helps you all.

JustJudy

Saturday, August 23, 2008 8:13 PM
  • Here is a KB that details the registry edit.

System icons may not appear in the notification area on a Windows Vista-based computer until you restart the computer:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945011

Friday, September 12, 2008 4:24 AM
  • Ronnie,

I tried above step and it worked that day and the following day.  But the next day when I turned on my laptop, the icons were missing again.  I have had my computer for about a year now and it came with Windows Vista Home Premium, w/Service Pack 1, 32 bit Operating System.  I have the computer set to download Windows updates automatically (recommended).  I had not downloaded or installed anything in the days prior to the icons not showing up on my task bar, just turned it on one day and they were not there.  I have tried other options shown in this forum and they work that day but next day, no icons.  What I want is to be able to find out what I can do to make the icons appear on the task bar and stay on the task bar, I don't want to have to "make changes" everyday so they appear.  I would really appreciate any help you can give me.

Carol

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:45 PM
  • Thanks Ramesh. This seems to have worked for me. My problem was also the missing volume and network icons. Before, when I tried checking the volume and network boxes (accessed by right-clicking the taskbar and choosing the 'notification area' tab), the boxes were greyed out and would not respond. The volume window was accessible through the control panel but I missed having it in my notification area.

The instructions on this Microsoft help page were detailed and easy to follow, which made me a little less apprehensive about messing around in my registry (something I've never done before). Thanks again.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 3:32 AM
  • My volume and power icon periodically disappears on my Dell Latitude D820 running Vista Business (latest service pack).

My solution does NOT require rebooting or registry editing:

Obatin Process Explorer
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Right click on Explorer.exe, and click Restart
    (same as Process menu selection, then Restart)

Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:05 PM
  • Hi Ramesh,

You're solution worked great for my IBM T42 laptop with Windows XP Pro SP3.  I've been trying to find a solution for months now until I saw your post.  The volume icon and power icons were missing from the taskbar after startup.  Now it's working great.. no problems following the link you gave over 4 years ago.

This was very helpful.  Thank you.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 2:03 PM