none
Switch from 32bit to 64bit at a later time with the same key?

Question

• I bought the Windows 7 upgrade from the promotion last July. My shipping/delivery method was download from the Microsoft store and I notice it allows me to download both the 32bit and 64bit versions. Because of a couple compatibility issues that where a definite show stopper for me to jump to the 64bit version right now, I opted for the 32bit. Knowing that the 32bit has a limitation of the amount of ram it can address (I'm currently using 2GB but plan on going 4GB later) I would hate to be stuck on the 32bit version for the long haul.

Later on when drivers mature more on the 64bit side and I get another 2GB of ram, I'd like to finally jump up to 64bit. Is this possible with my same product key as long as I only have Windows 7 installed on a single computer at a time? I don't really have a problem with activation, but to help smooth over the transition into 64 bit, they should allow you to "deactivate" your copy of Windows so that you can switch it over without hassle. Anyway, could I download the 64 bit version from the Microsoft store and install it at a later date and use the same key I used to activate the 32 bit in the 64 bit version? Or is my key now tied permanently to the 32bit version after activating it? Thanks.
    • Edited by emig5m Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:10 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:11 AM

Answers

• I'll be interested to see the official answer to this. However I was under the impression that with the Ultimate edition you could switch between the 32-bit and 64-bit version as long as you only had one installation at a time.

I forgot to mention I'm using Home Premium.

I believe Home Premium and up allow you to switch between 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I don't know about Home Basic, and Starter is 32-bit only.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:22 AM

All replies

• I'll be interested to see the official answer to this. However I was under the impression that with the Ultimate edition you could switch between the 32-bit and 64-bit version as long as you only had one installation at a time.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:04 AM

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:06 AM

I believe Home Premium and up allow you to switch between 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I don't know about Home Basic, and Starter is 32-bit only.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:22 AM

Perfect. Because I really want to leave 32bit in the past and also go with 4GB or more ram, but right now at Win7's release is not the time for me... I need to wait a bit for better support for a piece of my hardware.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:28 AM
  • Just remove the installed 32bit system and install the 64bit system. When we purchased the DVD, it will include 2 disks, the 32bit and 64bit. We can choose to install one of them.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:59 AM