Upgrading Vista 64-bit to Windows 7 64-bit on iMac RRS feed

• Question

• I have an iMac with OSX 10.5 (Leopard) and Vista 64-bit on a separate partition using bootcamp. I'd like to upgrade my Vista to Windows 7 64-bit. From what I have read on the Apple website it looks like I may need to upgrade to OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) before I do this. However this only seems relevant to fresh installs, not upgrades. So basically my question is; can I upgrade to Windows 7 using my current setup or do I have to fork over more money for Snow Leopard before I do anything? 

Thanks peeps.

Jake

Thursday, April 1, 2010 1:34 PM

Answers

• Just to clarify...the statement above which is on the Apple support website is relevant for new installations. I took a chance and just upgraded to windows 7 with my current setup and it works fine (so far!).

Jake

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:15 AM
    Monday, April 5, 2010 3:51 PM

All replies

• As Apple announces, Windows 7 requires Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard and the Boot Camp 3.1 Update. For complete system requirements information, see this article.

System requirements for Windows 7

To use Boot Camp with with Windows 7, you need the following:

• An Intel-based Mac
    • A Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard installation disc. This can be either a Mac OS X disc included with a purchased copy, or a Mac OS X Install Disc 1 from a Mac that had Mac OS X v10.6 preinstalled
    • Boot Camp Update 3.1 (which can be downloaded from here)
    • A USB keyboard and mouse, or a built-in keyboard and trackpad.

Important: You should use the keyboard and mouse that shipped with your Mac, or a built-in trackpad.

• At least 16 GB of free space on the disk you’re installing on for 32-bit, or 20 GB for 64-bit (for Microsoft Windows and Windows-based applications) 
    • Boot Camp Assistant, which is installed by Snow Leopard in /Applications/Utilities/

You will also need one of the following Microsoft Windows discs:

• An authentic, 32-bit Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate disc
    • With some computers you can use an authentic, 64-bit Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate disc

See this article for more information.

So you'd better upgrade to Mac OS X v10.6. For more information, you can contact Apple for support as well.

Dale

Monday, April 5, 2010 2:40 AM
  • Just to clarify...the statement above which is on the Apple support website is relevant for new installations. I took a chance and just upgraded to windows 7 with my current setup and it works fine (so far!).

Jake

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:15 AM
    Monday, April 5, 2010 3:51 PM
  • Yep, the fresh install of Windows 7 on Mac that is preinstalled with OS X requires upgrade to Mac OS X v10.6. However, the upgrade install from Windows Vista to Windows 7 can be done without this limitation.  Anyway, Jake, I'm glad to hear that you upgraded successfully to Windows 7. Thanks for your posting.

Best Regards

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:15 AM