none
Microsoft Defender Threat Service has stopped [SOLVED]

Question

• https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/1074583

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/1074584

PLEASE HELP ME

I am showing the shield icon with a red X on it.  When I open Windows Defender Security Center it says that the Threat Service has stopped.  Restart it now.  When I click 'Restart Now' it does nothing.  If I choose the shield icon out of the list on the left side of the screen and click on the virus and protection settings next to the gears it shows real time protection is off.
    When I click it to 'on' User Account Control pops up and I choose Yes, then it goes back to the screen but stays on off.
    I'm not sure what it causing it or how to get rid of it either.

• Edited by James Buenafe Tuesday, May 30, 2017 12:35 PM solved already
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 2:00 PM

Answers

• I found the solution in my case. THANK GOD! i just put 0 value in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender

and poof! there is it I can run my windows defender again!. There is 1 value when I saw it then when I turn it to 0 its okay again!. YAY!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 12:26 PM

All replies

• Hi James, 

For the service issue, we can use following commands to scan for repairing:

Please run CMD as administrator and type these commands one by one: 

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    SFC /scannow

If this issue still persists, please upload the screenshot of the error message and the CBS.log onto OneDrive and share the link here for our research. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 22, 2017 9:45 AM
  • Hi James, 

SFC /scannow

If this issue still persists, please upload the screenshot of the error message and the CBS.log onto OneDrive and share the link here for our research. 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

I've tried it and here's the result. I'm not sure but I also Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth.

Can you please tell me whats wrong with my laptop, and I've upload the Windows Defender error when I want to Update it.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Amb63hhXRNXfeY0cjNa8OCm_EMI

Friday, May 26, 2017 2:47 PM
  • Hi James, 

SFC /scannow

I followed the steps quoted, however it had no effect on the issue.

I found that other previously installed software (i.e. Spybot Search & Destroy) was causing the issues. When Spybot S&D was uninstalled, the Microsoft Defender Threat Service has started to work as expected.

Monday, May 29, 2017 11:50 PM
  • Glad to hear that your issue has been resolved, you are right that 3rd party applications sometimes cause the system service issue.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 7:40 AM
  • I found the solution in my case. THANK GOD! i just put 0 value in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender

and poof! there is it I can run my windows defender again!. There is 1 value when I saw it then when I turn it to 0 its okay again!. YAY!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 12:26 PM
  • Great! it works and solved ,,,much appreciated. 
    Tuesday, July 18, 2017 3:52 AM
  • And it actually worked!!Wow.First time has a comment helped me from hundreds I have seen earlier.THANKS BRO

Friday, August 04, 2017 1:19 PM
  • This made me feel like a grand ole techie just like back in the day.  Catch up with you, nice too, sir.
    Saturday, August 05, 2017 7:02 PM
  • Thank you so much buddy. It worked...
    Sunday, August 13, 2017 12:00 PM
  • thank you so much sir!
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 2:11 PM
  • thanks! worked!

Tuesday, September 05, 2017 10:36 PM
  • thanks man. you saved me

Sunday, September 17, 2017 8:29 AM
  • Thanks! This worked for me as well!

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 4:36 PM
  • This worked for me as well!

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 4:37 PM
  • Thank you, James that was the fix for mine as well. Can't tell you how thankful I am.
    Monday, October 23, 2017 4:23 PM
  • You sir just made my day! Not sure why/how did this happen? Anyways, thanks a lot!
    Thursday, November 02, 2017 9:20 AM
  • After you click "Restart Now" you were probably wanting something to happen right away.  You have to have patience and wait a few seconds longer then should connect to change red X to a green check and you're good to go.
    Friday, November 10, 2017 4:18 PM
  • This worked for me as well, Thanks!
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 5:38 AM
  • That Works. Thanks
    Saturday, November 18, 2017 10:09 PM
  • OMG THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH!!!!

This worked PERFECT. 

I installed AVG and it was a VIRUS called Heartless and made it seem like it was installing with a 15 second gap in between so if u click again thinking its not loading it made another one. So I figured out how to Get rid of it and the FOLDER I FOUND FOR IT was called HUMOR. Im not going to LIE, It was FUNNY at FIRST until I killed my WINDOWS STUFF. Now I need to see if I can UPDATE. That was messed up to. 

THANKS AGAIN. Email me j-sinn@hotmail.com if you have a GOOD CLEAN COPY of a DECENT SPYWARE PROGRAM. I REALLY LIKE AVG TUNE UP but I cant seem to find one and the Trail Version says its deleting stuff of your PC but its really NOT. Unless u have it Registered and the KEYS NEVER WORK.

THANKS AGAIN

34 minutes ago