Win 10 Network adapter problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell XPS13 laptop and it has started to give me issues with the network.  It seems to happen when the network connection signal is weak.  I will be working fine and then I lose the connection.  Sometimes, it comes back and other times it doesn't.  When I can't reconnect, I find that the Wi-Fi has been disabled.  I dig into the settings, click on Enable for Wi-Fi and a window says that it has been enabled and then closes.  The main page still says Disabled.

Other symptoms when this happens is that no internet connections are shown, although I know that there are many available.  This problem goes away when I reboot, but happens at random times again.

I have a Dell wireless 1560 802.11ac adapter.

Thursday, October 22, 2015 4:05 PM

Answers

• Adam didn't get enough data to make a firm decision, but said it looked like an adapter issue.  I have the latest driver, so there is not much I can do with that.  Just got my own hot spot and will be using that from now on.  Appears as if a weak or intermittent signal is what causes the problem.  Using my own hot spot will always be a strong signal, so I'm hoping that I will not have any more problems.

Gary

• Marked as answer by GaryBrod Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:16 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:08 PM

All replies

• More often than not when a device isn't working it is because the driver has become corrupted. Re-installing a fresh copy should help

Completely remove the current driver and install the newest driver available.  For instructions on how to do that Read all about updating drivers by my partner JMH3143 here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-hardware/updating-a-driver/a5e6345e-af9b-4099-bef0-8d22254aa1c1?tm=1436753520149

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly?SignedIn=1

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Friday, October 23, 2015 9:49 AM
    Thursday, October 22, 2015 4:07 PM
  • I uninstalled the driver and got an update from Dell.  It seemed to help at the location I was at.  However, when I got back to our camper, I again experienced problems with their wi-fi service.  I can't help thinking that Win 10 has some issues with error handling and when the system experiences issues with a connection, it doesn't handle this correctly.  Seems as if it is confused and then just stops.  Reboot has always gotten the system working again, if only until the next time the signal goes bad.  I just wish there was a way to reset the wi-fi service without rebooting.

The main issue is that the wi-fi service gets disabled.  When I go into settings and try to enable wi-fi, a window pops up stating that it has been enabled, but that is untrue - it remains disabled.

Gary

• Edited by GaryBrod Friday, October 23, 2015 11:10 AM
    Friday, October 23, 2015 11:07 AM
  • Hi GaryBrod,

Could you please share us the error message that you necountered here?

I don't think the issue here is only within the NIC and its drivers, there might be some more issues with the WIFI access point.

In addition to restart the machine, please take a try with the Network troubleshooter.

Right click on the network icon on the right corner, then choose troubleshooting problems.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 26, 2015 6:26 AM
  • I don't get an error message.  The internet connection just stops working and my browser states that there is no internet connection.  I have run the troubleshooter many times and it always reports that it can't find any problems.  It all seems to revolve around wi-fi getting disabled and not being able to be restarted.  I've had this happen at multiple locations and always seems to be when the signal is weak.

Gary

Monday, October 26, 2015 11:20 AM
  • Still experiencing this problem.  After digging into stuff, I came up with this message:  Wireless Connectivity  Initialize Status: Fail 0x8007001f

Found that this is a general error and really does not give any specific info.  Typical.

Gary

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 9:11 PM
  •  0x8007001f

PS>net helpmsg (0x1f)

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

What else could they say with 5 bits?   <eg>

Maybe you will have the conditions which enable you to find out what a "smart trace" is and be able to use

netsh wlan reportissues

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 9:42 PM
  • So the error is common when the driver is not functioning properly, however would need some more data to confirm. Can you capture some traces from your machine when issue reproduces? Please follow the steps below.

1. Open elevated command prompt or powershell window

2. Start network trace using netsh trace start capture=yes scenario=wlan

3. Once the issue reproduces, stop the trace using netsh trace stop

Please provide timestamp and wireless SSID that you were connected to when the connection failed. Send the generated .etl and .cab file to arudell at Microsoft dot com and I can analyze to see if anything that we are aware of or if issue might be related to the network driver.

Adam Rudell | Sr Support Engineer | Windows Beta | Microsoft Corporation

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, November 5, 2015 7:26 AM
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 6:27 PM
  • Uploaded some trace data for Adam Rudell last week.  Haven't heard back yet.

Gary

Thursday, November 5, 2015 7:36 AM
  • Adam didn't get enough data to make a firm decision, but said it looked like an adapter issue.  I have the latest driver, so there is not much I can do with that.  Just got my own hot spot and will be using that from now on.  Appears as if a weak or intermittent signal is what causes the problem.  Using my own hot spot will always be a strong signal, so I'm hoping that I will not have any more problems.

Gary

• Marked as answer by GaryBrod Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:16 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Hi GaryBrod,

Thanks for your sharing and update.

If any further questions, please feel free to ask in TechNet.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 6, 2015 5:30 AM
  • Hi, its interesting to see such a detailed description, As Im experiencing exactly the same issue, I see this is from 2015 but I just started experiencing it since yesterday, is there a solution for this issue? intel dual band wireless ac-3160 Windows 10.0183621 Or else, where should I post this question? Thanks
    Wednesday, July 29, 2020 3:41 AM