none
Install 855GM Series Video Driver on Windows 7 - Tutorial RRS feed

• General discussion

• I put up a tutorial on how to get 8XXGM series Intel Video Driver to work under Windows 7 :)

Tutorial:

http://www.groundstate.net/855GMWin7.html

This should be universal and work on all Windows 7 versions.

Please post responses if the method worked for you.

Thanks
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:52 AM

All replies

• Thanks Lexxion, you just saved my life with the driver.

It now displays on both internal and external displays and display a much better resolution than just the native 1024x768.

Cheers!!

Vic
    Monday, October 26, 2009 12:24 AM
  • I didn't read the tutorial, but I found an archive of the Vista driver (which is actually an XDDM driver). I went from 640x480, and failing to pass the WEI; to 1024x768 (the size of my laptop's panel) and a WEI score of 1.9 for business graphics.

I really wish 7 had come with more XDDM drivers for some of this older stuff, but the ISO's are already pretty fat. Still this was a common chipset.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 4:30 AM
  • Thanks a lot for saving me & my beloved Fujitsu Lifebook from falling to the dark side (Linux Mint)
    (although as a first time linux mint user, I have to say it's not bad but windows 7 is better)

just a quick question, after rebooting my pc it now prompts if I would like to run igxtray.exe & hkcmd.exe; I always say no..

Shall I keep ignoring it

Thanks again
    N
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:40 PM
  • Thanks a lot for saving me & my beloved Fujitsu Lifebook from falling to the dark side (Linux Mint)
    (although as a first time linux mint user, I have to say it's not bad but windows 7 is better)

just a quick question, after rebooting my pc it now prompts if I would like to run igxtray.exe & hkcmd.exe; I always say no..

Shall I keep ignoring it

Thanks again
    N

Hmm. I used the WHQL drivers, and I didn't get the tray notification (or software).
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:43 PM

Shall I keep ignoring it

Thanks again
    N

Those are the system tray for Intel Video Extreme Control panel.  They are OK to run.  They are like any other video control panel.

Btw, nice to see that it worked for you :)
    Friday, October 30, 2009 11:58 PM
  • OMG, You are the man!!!! I've spent the last few days trying to find a decent driver just like everyone else, and I even tried that so-called Vista compatible one, which actually did nothing for me. Then I stumbled upon this forum, followed your instructions, and BAM! At first my laptop screen did go black, but I could tell it was still installing the driver, so I waited a few minutes, hit Win Key + d, then Alt + F4, and then R for restart, pressed Enter, and when my 700m Dell loaded up again it was in 1280 x 800 widescreen hi-res glory. Thanks a mil!
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 6:08 PM
  • You, Sir, ARE A GOD!!!! Thank you!
    Friday, November 27, 2009 12:09 AM
  • thank you!!!!!! you are a genius.... I love to use my DELL 710M again.. your instructions brought it back to life again.

once again thank you very much.

Saturday, May 1, 2010 7:36 PM
  • First of all, thank you Lexxion for posting the tutorial up! I have a Dell 700m which I thought will need replacing just to have Win7. Thanks to you, I don't have to buy a new pc for at least a few years.

I do have one problem though, I like to connect my laptop to my TV via VGA. Somehow when connected and I pick the external monitor the TV just flickers and then the display would comeback to the laptop.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:47 PM
  • Aranha82 , thanks for the tip for the black screen, as mine did the same thing :) Users Medals
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:00 AM
  • Lexxion, thank you very much for your post/tutorial. I really appreciate the time you took to create the step-by-step tutorial. It saved me a lot of researching time. Thanks a million
    Monday, October 3, 2011 6:03 AM
  • Thanks a lot for the tutorial. I just got this working on a Dell Latitude D400 with the Intel 855GM/855GME, even though I edited the wrong file (duh!). Instead of c:\windows\system32\drivers\vgapnp.sys, I edited vga.sys. I’m not sure if it was related to my mistake with editing the wrong file, but after uninstalling the Standard VGA Adapter and rebooting, I got a totally black screen. Fortunately, I was able to use Remote Desktop Connection from another computer and finish installing the new drivers on the D400. I don’t think all versions of Windows 7 have Remote Desktop—the D400 has Windows 7 Ultimate SP1.
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 10:02 PM
  • Hey thanks for the tutorial. all works fine, until i restart the mashine. When it restarts, it scans for new hardware and reinstall the old standard driver???  Have i done something wrong?

Thanks Beden

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:38 PM
  • Thank you so much for this; your work-around saved the day! I was on the verge of throwing up my hands and quiting, even after trying this for the SECOND time (the first time, it didn't take... may be I did something wrong but anyway, it's working now!).

AWESOME JOB!

My personal comments:  It may take several restarts, 3 or more, before getting the driver to load if done properly.  Each system is different and may respond to the process differently at first.  You may finally receive a message that “your device has been successfully installed” after one of the restarts.  Clicking on this message for details should reveal that two A.I.M codecs files were successfully updated.  This is confirmation that your video device driver has been successfully installed and loaded.

• Edited by nassaurebel Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:12 PM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:11 PM
  • Thanks Lexxion, it worked in win7.

Is there any solution for win 8.?

thx

Sunday, December 8, 2013 9:25 PM
  • Thanks Lexxion!  It worked perfectly.  Even after 4 1/2 years!  Thanks for sharing the info.!

Traci

Saturday, April 19, 2014 2:02 AM
  • Thanks a lot! Lexxion. It works fine after trying couple times. The first time after the installation the 855GM driver still has an exclamation mark but tried the second time and reboot couple times and finally it works!

Thursday, May 1, 2014 12:15 AM
  • Worked like a breeze on a Fujitsu Lifebook P7010 from 2005.

THX!

Stefan

Friday, June 20, 2014 7:13 PM
  • Years later, installing W7 32bit on FSI Lifebook S7010 2GB RAM yet. Driver and tutorial still working, but I use a Linux Boot CD (kernel without PAE Extensions) to edit vgapnp.sys, don't want to mess around with cacls. Thank you so much!

Friday, June 5, 2015 11:37 AM
  • Is there any solution for Windows 10 (also FSI Lifebook S7010 2GB RAM)?
    Saturday, February 6, 2016 10:16 AM
  • Is there any solution for Windows 10 (also FSI Lifebook S7010 2GB RAM)?

Did you not read the title subject of this forum?  It plainly states Windows 7.  This is a Windows 7 forum, not Windows 10!

Windows 10 IT Pro category forums   

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, February 6, 2016 11:46 AM
  • Based on the information posted on the Fujitsu website, No, there is no solution for your system.

LIFEBOOK S7010 Notebook PC

Saturday, February 6, 2016 11:50 AM
  • Lexxion, so many thanks for your excelent work your parents can be just proud of you because you are genius.I did this laptop DELL Latitude D505 for my friend and I didn't hope that I will ever solve up this big problem with graphic driver as it refused anything...

Your simple explanation did miracle and the results are amazing...I wouldn't expect so excelent screen like this...

I will keep your direction like a treasure forever and maybe one day I will try to use your amazing direction for my own computer Acer TravelMate 4670 to get there a graphic driver for Windows 8 which could be working as well. 

One ask to you?Do you think that I can let the Generic display disabled, after I did instal this new and working graphic driver? Once again so many thanks to you from all of us in here as you help us so,so much. 
    Saturday, June 18, 2016 10:22 AM
  •  One ask to you?Do you think that I can let the Generic display disabled, after I did instal this new and working graphic driver? Once again so many thanks to you from all of us in here as you help us so,so much. 

Richard Hofman,

When you install a new or updated driver, it replaces the current one.  You do not "disable" the generic display as it is now updated and is using the new driver.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, June 18, 2016 11:27 AM
  • Very good solution/wordaround. I tried with my old Lifebook S7010 (2GB RAM).

At first I tried driver version 6.14.10.4497. Installation wokred, but affter reboot the driver was deinstalled.

Frustrated I tried driver version 6.14.10.3732 and this version was kept after reboot.

But there are left some more unkowm devices and missing driver: For WLAN/WiFi, Audio and there other unknown devices. Maybe s.b. has a hint what drivers I have to install and where to obtain ... ?

Thursday, October 27, 2016 9:39 AM
  • Thanks, worked with Windows 10 on HP Workstation xw4600T with Quadro FX 540 display adapter. 

After takeown of BasicDisplay.sys the driver (309.08-quadro-tesla-win8-win7-winvista-32bit-international-whql) installed and display is working correctly. 

Sunday, January 22, 2017 1:09 PM
  • The Intel 82855GM driver included in Windows Vista can be installed in the most straightforward manner by updating the driver of the installed Standard-VGA adapter using the former. I had made a backup of the driver from my previous Windows Vista installation but it can also be found as an archive file called "855gm_Vista_Win7_driver.zip" in several places on the Internet.

After unpacking the archive file open the device manager and update the driver of the Standard-VGA video device which is active after installing Windows. There is no need to change the type of the video card, just choose directory "855gm_Vista_Win7_driver" (or  equivalent) as the source directory of the driver software to be used for the update. Windows 7 will complain that the driver has no valid signature but it will be installed nevertheless after the user has confirmed to proceed using it. After rebooting the system the system will come up with the native resolution of the display, i.e. 1400 x 1050 for the present Acer Travelmate 660.

Important: there is -no- need to manipulate any system file such as "vgapnp.sys" in the tutorial advertised above or to change boot options in order to suppress the signature check of Windows 7 which was suggested elsewhere.

Sunday, August 20, 2017 5:11 AM
  • Acheron92, thanks to your comment / contribution to this post earlier this year, I was able to get the 1024x768 max resolution out of an old Dell Inspiron 1150 that my afterschool electronics repair club fixed up for someone who needs an internet machine in a pinch. I really appreciate it! And, for other people that might find their way to this thread, I did find this link to be working, and to lead to the correct 'Vista' / XDDM driver that Acheron92 was referring to:

http://www.video-drivers.com/drivers/1556/1556195.htm

Cheers!

Monday, October 30, 2017 5:33 PM
  • Acheron92   You are Genius .... I fallowed  your instructions and worked like a Charm ......THANK YOU .

• Edited by felcast Monday, December 18, 2017 3:28 AM
    Monday, December 18, 2017 2:27 AM
  • The URL no longer works, and I would greatly appreciate a new link.  Everyone says your solution works, and I would like to be one of these happy people.
    Sunday, March 3, 2019 2:36 PM
  • I am coming along a year late in this discussion and need help.  the above-referenced URL no longer works.  Do you have any info on this driver?
    • Edited by 2CanTech Sunday, March 3, 2019 2:38 PM
    Sunday, March 3, 2019 2:38 PM