none
Warning - Kernel-PnP Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device \WirelessKeyboardFilter RRS feed

• Question

• I get the following Warning, Event ID 219 in the System Log on each boot:

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device {C5A047D8-CB5B-40E9-B9E3-316AB06B5A18}\WirelessKeyboardFilter\8&16310cd5&1&01.

The Event Log Online Help doesn't appear to be working anymore.

I was able to resolve these types of errors with the assistance of the Event Log Online Help in the past. Does anyone know the procedure to troubleshoot this error so it can be resolved?

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:27 AM

Answers

• I'm able to clear the Windows Systems Log for the Warning described in the previous post by changing the Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework Service from Manual Startup Type to Automatic Startup Type. Automatic Startup Type is my normal setting, but apparently some USB devices, such as the MagicJack device will cause this Service to change to Manual Startup Type when the MagicJack device is unplugged and then plugged into a USB port. Also, apparently, manually loading the driver for the wireless keyboard can also cause a change in Startup Type.

What appears to be the correct driver for the keyboard is depicted in the screen shot below. Apparently the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3050 software package doesn't load the correct driver. It must be manually loaded from Browse my computer for driver software and then Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Even then, Windows 7 will attempt to change this driver to the driver that causes the Warning in the Windows Systems Log if you let the system Search automatically for updated driver software.

I think this is a bug in the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3050 software package.

Also, I don't understand what device is causing the Microsoft eHome drivers to load.

So, the fix was to manually select and load the keyboard driver depicted in the screen shot below and then ensure the Windows Driver Foundation Service is set to Automatic Startup Type.

• Marked as answer by tjg79 Sunday, September 24, 2017 3:45 AM
    Sunday, September 24, 2017 3:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you recently updated your driver or used a new wireless mouse ? The error occurs when the PnP device driver on your system fail to load.

You can follow these steps to help you troubleshoot the issue:

1.Using Troubleshooter in Control Panel>Troubleshooting>Hardware and Sound>Hardware

2.Check driver in Device Manager, which class guid is  {C5A047D8-CB5B-40E9-B9E3-316AB06B5A18}, right click it and select update the driver.

You can find the class guid by right click the device in Device Manager >Properties >Events.

3.If the problem still exists, go to the manufacture's website and download the latest driver for you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 2:54 AM
  • Hi Vivian_Zhou,

Thank you for the reply. I haven't recently updated the driver or my wireless desktop, but this Warning is not a recent occurrence either. At this time, I can't rule out that it didn't start when I did update my wireless desktop. I don't see any driver errors in device manger. Using Troubleshooter in Control Panel doesn't identify any possible source of this Warning either. I haven't been able to identify the device by the device class guid.

Is it possible that this Warning is just a legacy of a previously deleted driver that for some reason hasn't been cleaned from the registry?

I use CCleaner regularly to scan the registry for issues. Also, I've uninstalled and reinstalled my wireless desktop keyboard and mouse several times, but these efforts don't resolve the issue.

I'm using Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3050 and I've got the lasted software loaded.

What happened to the Event Log Online Help? It appears that Microsoft has disabled this resource. Do you have any other suggestions? Regards

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 4:12 AM
  • Hi,

WUDFRd failed to load is because the incompatible driver, as a result it shows a warning rather than a Error in Event Log.

I suggest that you can restore the driver to the old version, by right click the device in Device Manager > Driver Tab > Roll back Driver. The keyboard and mouse driver should be taken into consideration.

Another way you can determine the device with the Class GUID is to locate at the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class

Or you can find it in the Device Manage > Right click the driver > Details Tab > Property choose Class Guid

As the Event Log Online Help is canceled, if you want to get help on the Event Log , you can search the Event ID online. More Event ID description, please refer to:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc164984.aspx

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/6a4b41b7-34f1-42a2-a727-fd0858b1d3d0/windows-eventid-list-of-meannings?forum=winservergen

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 8:37 AM
  • As the Event Log Online Help is canceled, if you want to get help on the Event Log , you can search the Event ID online. More Event ID description, please refer to:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc164984.aspx

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/6a4b41b7-34f1-42a2-a727-fd0858b1d3d0/windows-eventid-list-of-meannings?forum=winservergen

Do you know why the Event Log Online Help was cancelled?

I've searched both of the links you posted above, and I can't find information about Event ID 219.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 9:51 PM
  • Another way you can determine the device with the Class GUID is to locate at the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class

Or you can find it in the Device Manage > Right click the driver > Details Tab > Property choose Class Guid

There doesn't appear to be a device with the Class GUID listed in my registry. It appears in subfolders 0046, 0048, & 0049 under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} as MatchingDeviceID.

It's my impression that this could be a legacy device that no longer exists that needs to be cleaned from the registry. I think I recall instructions in the now cancelled Event Log Online Help that explained how to edit these types of errors or warnings out so that they don't appear in the Systems Log as a Warning. Is there a way to purge all the WirelessKeyboardFilters from the system by disconnecting all the devices, rebooting, and then reinstalling? I don't think it's an actual driver that failing to load, I think it's an obsolete entry in the registry that can't find what it's looking for, because it doesn't exist anymore.

My Device Manger doesn't display any devices with driver issues. If this issue is what it indicates it is, the WirelessKeyboardFilter, then this issue should be associated with my Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3050. I've got the latest drivers for this Microsoft Wireless Desktop, Keyboard & Mouse, installed. I think there's a possibility that it related to another device. I've got an Intel motherboard with an Intel motherboard accessory, a Bluetooth/wireless adapter installed. I've also got a Hauppauge TV card installed. I think I've also got an Intel CIR installed. Because these devices use remotes, it could be associated with these devices and not the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3050. Is there a way to positively identify the alleged driver that fails to load? Or, is this a case where the driver fails to load on the first try for some reason, causes the Warning in the System Log, and then subsequently loads successfully? If that's the case, is there a way to modify the system loading so that the driver loads successfully on the first try? Regards 
    • Edited by tjg79 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 10:50 PM
    Wednesday, September 20, 2017 10:05 PM
  • Generally troubleshooting the Wudfr errors in the event log is not a good use of time.

Most of the time these are events and have little impact.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 10:39 PM
  • System
    - Provider
    [Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
    [Guid] {9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}
    EventID 219
    Version 0
    Level 3
    Task 212
    Opcode 0
    Keywords 0x8000000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [SystemTime] 2017-09-20T14:30:45.202452200Z
    EventRecordID 301834
    Correlation
    - Execution
    [ProcessID] 4
    [ThreadID] 56
    Channel System
    Computer TJG-DT1
    - Security
    [UserID] S-1-5-18
    - EventData
    DriverNameLength 77
    DriverName {C5A047D8-CB5B-40E9-B9E3-316AB06B5A18}\WirelessKeyboardFilter\8&16310cd5&1&01
    Status 3221226341
    FailureNameLength 14
    FailureName \Driver\WUDFRd
    Version 0

• Edited by tjg79 Wednesday, September 20, 2017 10:54 PM
    Wednesday, September 20, 2017 10:53 PM
  • Generally troubleshooting the Wudfr errors in the event log is not a good use of time.

Most of the time these are events and have little impact.

It might not be a high priority error to fix in general, but it's my only error now.
    Wednesday, September 20, 2017 11:12 PM
  • Hi,

I think it is a way that you boot into Safe Mode, which is a mini environment to load least driver, to see if the warning still exists. Then you can unplug these device to have a try, which can help us to narrow down if the wireless device cause the issue.

In addition, you can directly search the GUID in registry by clicking Ctrl+F and continually search by click Find Next until you find something valuable, the result especially under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM is what we need.

From the log, I searched the Driver Name {C5A047D8-CB5B-40E9-B9E3-316AB06B5A18} and Event ID 219 online and found it is related to the Microsoft Wireless Desktop. I don’t know why Event Log Online Help is canceled but if you have any doubt, don’t hesitate to contact me .

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/b4720c56-6e44-4eee-b1ac-34088f46b10c/kernelpnp-id-219?forum=win10itprogeneral

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/another-kb3185614-installation-problem/a77c39f2-0932-4cb5-8a64-0aee193ef0b2

Friday, September 22, 2017 1:51 AM
  • Hi,

I think it is a way that you boot into Safe Mode, which is a mini environment to load least driver, to see if the warning still exists. Then you can unplug these device to have a try, which can help us to narrow down if the wireless device cause the issue.

I booted into Safe Mode and the Warning was still present in the Systems Log.
    Friday, September 22, 2017 6:23 PM
  • From the log, I searched the Driver Name {C5A047D8-CB5B-40E9-B9E3-316AB06B5A18} and Event ID 219 online and found it is related to the Microsoft Wireless Desktop.

I suspect this Warning is a result of a previous corrupted install of the wireless desktop software.
    Friday, September 22, 2017 6:41 PM
  • After thinking about his problem for awhile, I now recall how it began. I replaced my original wireless desktop, because of mouse stability issues in about the April 2016 timeframe. I was still having mouse stability issues after the initial replacement. After spending a lot of time trying to troubleshoot this issue, I discovered that the mouse appeared to be less erratic without the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3050 software installed. I presumed it was functioning using the generic drivers. The Kernel-PnP 219 Warning has been present since this wireless desktop has been installed with and without the associated software package. I downloaded and installed the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3050 software a few days ago and reinstalled it. Again, the mouse was more erratic with the software installed than without the software installed. That caused me to recall the original problem. I suspect that I need to purge all remnants of the wireless desktop software from this system so that I can attempt a clean install. How do I do that? Can it be done by editing the registry? Since you need a mouse and keyboard, if I install a wired keyboard and mouse, is there a way to purge any remnants of the wireless keyboard and mouse?    
    Saturday, September 23, 2017 6:31 PM
  • Saturday, September 23, 2017 11:08 PM
  • Saturday, September 23, 2017 11:09 PM
  • I was able to make some progress by following the instructions on the last post on the link below.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/cannot-permanently-uninstall-mcir-keyboard-drivers/296b1acf-21a0-4f24-a7f9-d50aa0f8f0bf?auth=1

You can see the results by comparing the two screen shots above. I removed all the Microsoft eHome drivers that for some reason appeared under the keyboard and mouse in device manager.

The specific instructions from the post are copied below:

Update it's driver, jump through the hoops until you are presented with a list of three items:

HID Keyboard Device
    HID Compliant Device
    Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard

Select "HID Compliant Device", let it apply it and proceed to be MCIR 109'less for the rest of your computer's life.

I also removed any programs that had any relation to a consumer IR device. That was Win TV 8 by Hauppauge. Also, I disabled the enhanced IR feature of my Intel DX58SO motherboard in the BIOS.

After updating the drivers as described above, I did notice that the Warning for the wireless keyboard filter had changed to a Warning for some other device, but has changed back to wireless keyboard filter. This problem is not completely resolved, but I have made some progress, because the mouse cursor appears to be more stable.

What is causing the Microsoft eHome drivers to install? You can see them under the device manger HID in the screen shot below:

I currently have the Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver disabled. What device is causing this driver to load?
    • Edited by tjg79 Saturday, September 23, 2017 11:21 PM
    Saturday, September 23, 2017 11:18 PM
  • OK, after manually updating the keyboard driver, I now get a different Event 219, Kernel-PnP Warning in the Systems Log. The details are below.

General:

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_GENERIC-&PROD_USB3.0_CRW-CF#MD&REV_1.00#201006010301&0#.

Details:

System
    - Provider
    [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
    [ Guid] {9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}
    EventID 219
    Version 0
    Level 3
    Task 212
    Opcode 0
    Keywords 0x8000000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2017-09-24T00:11:47.710054900Z
    EventRecordID 310726
    Correlation
    - Execution
    [ ProcessID] 4
    [ ThreadID] 56
    Channel System
    Computer TJG-DT1
    - Security
    [ UserID] S-1-5-18
    - EventData
    DriverNameLength 122
    DriverName WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_GENERIC-&PROD_USB3.0_CRW-CF#MD&REV_1.00#201006010301&0#
    Status 3221226341
    FailureNameLength 14
    FailureName \Driver\WUDFRd
    Version 0

Sunday, September 24, 2017 12:45 AM
  • I'm able to clear the Windows Systems Log for the Warning described in the previous post by changing the Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework Service from Manual Startup Type to Automatic Startup Type. Automatic Startup Type is my normal setting, but apparently some USB devices, such as the MagicJack device will cause this Service to change to Manual Startup Type when the MagicJack device is unplugged and then plugged into a USB port. Also, apparently, manually loading the driver for the wireless keyboard can also cause a change in Startup Type.

What appears to be the correct driver for the keyboard is depicted in the screen shot below. Apparently the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3050 software package doesn't load the correct driver. It must be manually loaded from Browse my computer for driver software and then Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Even then, Windows 7 will attempt to change this driver to the driver that causes the Warning in the Windows Systems Log if you let the system Search automatically for updated driver software.

I think this is a bug in the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3050 software package.

Also, I don't understand what device is causing the Microsoft eHome drivers to load.

So, the fix was to manually select and load the keyboard driver depicted in the screen shot below and then ensure the Windows Driver Foundation Service is set to Automatic Startup Type.

• Marked as answer by tjg79 Sunday, September 24, 2017 3:45 AM
    Sunday, September 24, 2017 3:45 AM
  • Well, today, Windows Update offered an optional Update - Wireless Keyboard Filter Device and I installed it. After successfully installed, it caused the Event 219 Warning to occur during subsequent start.

I rolled back the driver and hid the optional update.

• Edited by tjg79 Sunday, September 24, 2017 7:09 PM
    Sunday, September 24, 2017 7:09 PM