none
Accidentally removed Store, any way to get it back? RRS feed

• Question

• So yeah... Was setting up my image and accidentally removed the provisioned Store apps. This means the Store is no longer present in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps, so the methods you find on the Internet just don't work. Yes, I didn't properly sanitize my script. It's my bad. Am I screwed, or is there a way to provision the Store app again? I actually do want my users to have the store, but the image won't allow sysprep to go forward without the Store, since the audit Admin account has it installed...
    • Edited by EntegyMVP Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:52 PM More info
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• A Reset of Windows restores the Store. Obviously a clean install would as well :) basically yes your are £$%^).

Basing this on testing I have done in the past and an email exchange I have had with the Windows 10 Store team in the past.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 11:26 PM
  • Balls. Lesson learned, be more careful when writing scripts.
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 11:27 PM
  • Well for the record found the reply from the Store team from August last year;

"Thanks for contacting us with your problem. Please look at the help article we posted http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_store/reinstalling-store-on-windows-10/f843de3c-ae95-44f0-81d3-0946e64beee9?auth=1 to help recover Win10 Store if the Win10 Store was not explicitly removed from your machine using Remove-AppxPackage command.

If you explicitly removed the Store by running the Remove-AppxPackage (there are some commands posted by non-MSFT employees in the wild which are harming end-users), then we don’t have a solution for you yet. We're working on trying to provide a fix for that one.

Thanks,
    Venkat (on behalf of the Win10 Store quality team)"
    Friday, February 12, 2016 12:02 AM
  • So technically, the Store app is still installed for the current user. It was not removed from the user with Remove-AppxPackage, it was removed from the system with dism /online /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage.

I guess I can't use the user's Store app install to restore it to all users?

Friday, February 12, 2016 12:04 AM
  • Not used DISM to remove it, but what does the PowerShell command;

Get-AppxPackage | Where-Object {$_.Name -like 'Microsoft.WindowsStore'}

Show? Does it show an install location?

If so try;

Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.WindowsStore | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}

Friday, February 12, 2016 12:13 AM
  • Not used DISM to remove it, but what does the PowerShell command;

Get-AppxPackage | Where-Object {$_.Name -like 'Microsoft.WindowsStore'}

Show? Does it show an install location?

If so try;

Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.WindowsStore | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}

In addition, you should copy the WindowsStore related folder under C:\Program Files\WindowsApps from another PC with same version of Windows 10, then try above commands.

Note you have to take ownership of this folder to have permission to do so:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-8-metro-apps-folder-location

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, February 13, 2016 3:18 PM
    Owner
  • Sadly, none of this worked. I chalked it up to lesson learned redid the image.
    Saturday, February 13, 2016 3:19 PM
  • Sadly, none of this worked. I chalked it up to lesson learned redid the image.

Sorry to hear this, I just test my suggestions for Edge app, not sure that will be different for Windows Store app.

To avoid such unexpected issue, I suggest turning on the system protection feature so that we can perform the system restore to get back the right point.

In addition, if there is no further question in this thread, please mark your own post as answered to close this thread.

Thanks for trusting our TechNet service, and if there is any other questions, we can post new thread for discussion.  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 15, 2016 8:10 AM
    Owner