none
sound device problem.

Question

• whenever i try to use any voip software call to any number, call is ended with error message  "Sound device problems are preventing this call" and when i click more info tab following message is displayed on screen.
    " There has been a problem with your sound device (21) (CODE:21)
     Please check your settings and connections and try again. (CODE:21)"
     Please help me out of this situation.

Thanks
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

A couple of questions for you:

• What type of sound device are you using? (Are you using a headset? If so, who is the manufacturer, and what is the model?)
    • Which VoIP software have you tried so far?
    Thanks,
    Lauren
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:04 PM
  • I have also similar problem while using HP Pavilion dv9000 with built in microphone. I have tried to use the VoipCheapCom. How I can overcome this problem please help me. My OS is Vista Ultimate. husanhakimov@hotmail.com . Thank you in advance.
    Friday, August 03, 2007 9:39 AM
  • Hi

At me the same problem

whenever i try to use any voip software (WebCallDirect) call to any number, call is ended with error message  "Sound device problems are preventing this call" and when i click more info tab following message is displayed on screen.

My OS is Vista Business.

Please help me. ovamila@yahoo.com

Thank you

Thursday, August 16, 2007 11:53 PM
  •  

Whenever I try to listen to music, a message pops up saying:

"Cannot open the audio device. Another application may be using it."

But I am not listening or using the speakers at all.

Please help. Thanks

• Proposed as answer by TSEBAYA Thursday, July 02, 2009 6:52 AM
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 11:31 PM
  •  

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 3:29 AM
  • could any of you find a solution to the problem? i can't use voip with my new laptop either. there's vista home installed on it. i guess it might be something related with the operating system. i had no problems before with xp. all other sound related software is working properly on my computer.

Friday, August 24, 2007 7:19 PM
  •  

I am using justvoip to call, When I start a call the error message came "Sound device problems are preventing this call" Please help me. I am using Vista business edition. Hope somebody will help to fix it.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 12:12 AM
  • I have the same problem, Vista Ultimate. I use built-in Realtec soundcard, bluetooth audio and usb headphone. All devices work properly. Have no problems using other sip software (xten, icall), just betamax providers (voipcheap, justvoip, internetcalls.com) - never had problem before with XP.

Any suggestions? Tried to take the monopoly use from the sound device off - didn't work.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 10:42 PM
  • Hi,

I was having the same problem with VOIPSTUNT. I contacted their support service, and here is what they replied:

Please make sure the voipclient is running in Windows XP compatibility mode.
    For more information  please refer to Vista Help and Support.

Kind regards,

Customer service

It works well now for me.

Here is the link where I found how to run the voip software in XP compatibility mode:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-compatibility-mode/

I first unistalled VOIPSTUNT from my computer, downloaded it again, and saved the .exe file.

I then right clicked on it, go to properties, on the 2nd tab you can select to run the exe file in XP (service pack 2) compatible mode.

I now can give calls !

Hope it works fine for you !

Monday, August 27, 2007 3:50 PM
  • Thanks for the information. XP (service pack 2) compatible mode worked. I didn't even have an idea that there was such a thing. ne to Vista. Smile Thanks again.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 3:15 AM
  • Hi,

I am using Justvoip in my lenovo laptop, the OS is Windows Vista home basic.

i am able to connect to Justvoip, but  the person at other end cannot hear me continuously. and  my voice is heard after  a gap of 5 secs.

can any one help me to slove this.

regards

dhm77

Sunday, November 04, 2007 2:45 PM
  • My problem is solved, thank you Izumib.
    Don't even recognize it is a compatibility problem
    Monday, November 12, 2007 1:53 PM
  • Saturday, January 19, 2008 7:54 PM
  •  

hi,

i have code 21 sound divice problem. i've tried everything apart from an usb voip device. do you think that would help?

i use voipdiscount software. (my laptop hp pavillion dv6000 has also a built in micro but it's practically useless coz code 21 remains)

thanks in advance

Monday, January 28, 2008 1:16 PM
  • I have the same problem What must I do?

asasdjagskdkas wrote:
    whenever i try to use any voip software call to any number, call is ended with error message  "Sound device problems are preventing this call" and when i click more info tab following message is displayed on screen.

Thanks

Monday, April 07, 2008 12:23 PM
  • the best thing for you to do is either use an alternative telecommunication or direct messanging program (eg skype, windows live messanger), or change your windows vista to windows xp..

i did the first one and install both skype and windows live messanger..

good luck

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 3:44 PM
  • Hi,

I did exactly acoording to what you said in the message, but it still does not work. i don't know why, i am using Vista Ultimate version. "There has been a problem with your sound device (CODE:21)" shows again! Any suggestions?

Regards,

JunSans

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:43 AM
  • Hi

I can't listen to music either it says that I have no sound device???? I need some serious help with this someone please! THANKS

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:28 PM
  •  Angelgrrl04 wrote:

Whenever I try to listen to music, a message pops up saying:

"Cannot open the audio device. Another application may be using it."

But I am not listening or using the speakers at all.

Please help. Thanks

Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:24 PM
  • Sunday, January 04, 2009 5:59 PM
  • hi there,
    I am experiecing the same problem on vista, but the exact message is "the call failed due to sound device problem on this computer"
    I have changed the compatability mode to windows xp, but it didn't work for me... do you have any idea how to fix it?
    please help! thanks in advance!
    • Proposed as answer by xamsa Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:47 PM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 8:30 PM
  • hej hjep me tak
    mahad
    • Proposed as answer by xamsa Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:45 PM
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:45 PM
  • it works! thanks a lot all you guys.
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:47 PM
  • Hello.. found solution.

right click on voip icon, click on compatibility TAB and activate option "run this file in copatibility mode for" and select " windows XP sp2 or sp3".

then click OK.

now can try...

solution from: http://www.gratostel.com/Explications_VoIP_Betamax_erreur_error.htm#Error_erreur

Sunday, May 16, 2010 5:58 PM
  • I  HAVE  BOTH HEAD DEVICE CALLED ( INTEX)  AND  I  HAVE  ZEBION LOCAL  SPEAKER HERE IN INDIA, BOTH ARE NOT WORKING I DONT HEAR  ANY  SOUND I CAN NOT  HEAR ANY MUSIC
    Saturday, December 03, 2011 4:01 PM
  • whenever i try to use any voip software call to any number, call is ended with error message  "Sound device problems are preventing this call" and when i click more info tab following message is displayed on screen.

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by gabrial922 Sunday, October 14, 2012 10:41 PM
    Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:39 AM