Pass username variable in URL RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need to create a url link on each computer. I have to set the url www.url.com/username . Username have to be the username of the windows session.

Do you know how can i do this ?

Thank you for your help.

Marc

Friday, March 4, 2011 2:19 PM

Answers

• Depending on the environment (where you are using this), %username% might work. Otherwise, we detail on what you are doing.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
    • Marked as answer by IamMred Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:04 PM
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:37 AM
  • I did this once with PowerShell and used something like this:

$un = $env:%unsername%

$URL = "http://URL.com/$un"

If you use double quotes PS will recognize the variable. If you use single quotes you will get the variable name in $URL.

If you need to actually go to the webpage, then pass it to the System.Net.WebClient class (info here) or pass to IE with a "iexplore $URL".

If you are just trying to create a Shortcut on the desktop of the machines after someone logs in, I would build a logon script that grabs the username and uses it to build a shorcut which is then saved to their desktop. You would access the desktop by calling C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Desktop. Or if you use roaming profiles you would just create the url once and copy it to everybody's home directory desktop (so long as their not logged in at the time).

Here's a link to the $env variable types in PowerShell.

As you can see, there are a lot of possibilities here.

Are you trying to create a shortcut for every user that they can click on to access this URL? Are you trying to access this webpage at each logon? Or is it something completely different?

Sunday, March 13, 2011 6:10 AM

All replies

• UserName = CreateObject( "WScript.NetWork" ).UserName
    • Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Friday, March 4, 2011 5:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Marc3k Friday, March 4, 2011 7:11 PM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 2:29 PM
  • Why do you put this answer as as solution?
    Friday, March 4, 2011 7:10 PM
  • I don't want to use a script to make a url to a website. DO you know if there is other possibility?
    Friday, March 4, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Hi,

Why do you put this answer as as solution?

Because that is how you get the logon user name in a script.

I don't want to use a script to make a url to a website.

(?) This is a scripting forum. If you don't want a script answer, perhaps ask somewhere else?

Bill

Friday, March 4, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Variable can be use without a scripts.
    Friday, March 4, 2011 8:27 PM
  • ?

Bill

Friday, March 4, 2011 8:40 PM
  • Depending on the environment (where you are using this), %username% might work. Otherwise, we detail on what you are doing.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:37 AM
  • I did this once with PowerShell and used something like this:

$un = $env:%unsername%

$URL = "http://URL.com/$un"

If you use double quotes PS will recognize the variable. If you use single quotes you will get the variable name in $URL.

If you need to actually go to the webpage, then pass it to the System.Net.WebClient class (info here) or pass to IE with a "iexplore $URL".

If you are just trying to create a Shortcut on the desktop of the machines after someone logs in, I would build a logon script that grabs the username and uses it to build a shorcut which is then saved to their desktop. You would access the desktop by calling C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Desktop. Or if you use roaming profiles you would just create the url once and copy it to everybody's home directory desktop (so long as their not logged in at the time).

Here's a link to the $env variable types in PowerShell.

As you can see, there are a lot of possibilities here.

Are you trying to create a shortcut for every user that they can click on to access this URL? Are you trying to access this webpage at each logon? Or is it something completely different?

Sunday, March 13, 2011 6:10 AM
  • Thanks HonoSA.

Your solution works perfectly.

Marc

Friday, March 25, 2011 12:15 PM