Channel missing in windows media center. RRS feed

• Question

• Channel 102 SPOF1 is missing from my media center tv guide. I have a Window Media Center Ceton Cable Card and Can't watch the Rangers Hockey Game. It comes through fine on my cable box in the living room. http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv-listings shows it as well. zap2it web site does not. Why doesn't media center let me just type in a channel even if guide listings are missing? The ceton diagnostic says I can tune to 102. But the media center interface refuses to let me. Anybody know how to fix this?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:05 AM

Answers

• I sent a message to zap2it. Not sure if they'll do anything since the channel is called sports overflow. Normally it shows nothing. It only shows some games when the other sports channels are full. So I think normally it's guide listings are empty. I'm also not sure how far in advance it is known when a show will be broadcast on it. Windows Media Center really should provide a method to add a channel to watch live tv. Especially now that it takes cable cards. It should be able to replace the functionality of a cable box. 

I was able to add the channel using Guide Tool
    http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool

Here is how I did it in case someone else needs too and they have a Ceton.
    Click the second icon on the tool bar (the tuner icon).Then a dialog box pops up with your tuners listed.Pick tuner instance 1 and then click "add channel" button on that dialog's tool bar. Pick tuner instance 2 and then click "add channel" button on that dialog's tool bar. Pick tuner instance 3 and then click "add channel" button on that dialog's tool bar. Pick tuner instance 4 and then click "add channel" button on that dialog's tool bar. Select the 4 new channel rows in left list view using shift-click. Right Click. Left click Merge. Open Media Center and now I see the new channel.

There is no guide data for this channel but I don't care. I just want to be able watch the NY Rangers when Basketball is played on the MSG Network.

• Marked as answer by flagrantHippo Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:50 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:50 AM

All replies

• unfortunately,WMC uses the same database as zap2it and if it does not appear
    there.. what is your zip code? can you try a nearby zipcode and see if it is
    listed? report this at

you should then report the issue at

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 02:05:59 +0000, flagrantHippo wrote:

>zap2it web site does not

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:00 AM
  • I sent a message to zap2it. Not sure if they'll do anything since the channel is called sports overflow. Normally it shows nothing. It only shows some games when the other sports channels are full. So I think normally it's guide listings are empty. I'm also not sure how far in advance it is known when a show will be broadcast on it. Windows Media Center really should provide a method to add a channel to watch live tv. Especially now that it takes cable cards. It should be able to replace the functionality of a cable box. 

I was able to add the channel using Guide Tool
    http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool

Here is how I did it in case someone else needs too and they have a Ceton.
    Click the second icon on the tool bar (the tuner icon).Then a dialog box pops up with your tuners listed.Pick tuner instance 1 and then click "add channel" button on that dialog's tool bar. Pick tuner instance 2 and then click "add channel" button on that dialog's tool bar. Pick tuner instance 3 and then click "add channel" button on that dialog's tool bar. Pick tuner instance 4 and then click "add channel" button on that dialog's tool bar. Select the 4 new channel rows in left list view using shift-click. Right Click. Left click Merge. Open Media Center and now I see the new channel.

There is no guide data for this channel but I don't care. I just want to be able watch the NY Rangers when Basketball is played on the MSG Network.

• Marked as answer by flagrantHippo Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:50 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:50 AM
  • thanks for the follow up. glad you found a solution.

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 03:50:00 +0000, flagrantHippo wrote:

>
    >
    >I sent a message to zap2it. Not sure if they'll do anything since the channel is called sports overflow. Normally it shows nothing. It only shows some games when the other sports channels are full. So I think normally it's guide listings are empty. I'm also not sure how far in advance it is known when a show will be broadcast on it. Windows Media Center really should provide a method to add a channel to watch live tv. Especially now that it takes cable cards. It should be able to replace the functionality of a cable box. 
    >
    >I was able to add the channel using Guide Tool
    >
    >

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:20 AM
  • Just to give an Update Microsoft Connect gave this response to me "We have been informed that the Provider does not want this channel listed as part of their lineup. It is a sports overflow channel that is only used when there is a conflict.". So I guess the only way to watch such channels is to use Guide Tool.
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:06 PM
  • Awesome man. Thanks a lot.  Had to do this kludge to get nfl network.
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:26 AM