none
Windows 7 lag and Audio Distortion

Question

• I recently got a new laptop (pre-installed with windows 7), I am experiencing d a very odd lag. Usually, I was doing something like web browsing in Firefox or playing online games. My sound would lag and make this awful screeching static sound, and anything I had up, would lag or stop responding. Bringing up the task manager was also a hassle, as clicking or initiating anything else was met with extreme lagging resistance. While initially these bouts of lockup would run their course, they've been getting more severe.

I had to force a manual shut down. When I rebooted (which fixed it in the past, albeit temporarily), it still suffered this same extreme lag and sound distortion.

It just keeps getting worse and worse. 

I have tried to call Gateway tech support but its nothing but unhelpful automated voice recording.  I don't know what to do.  I'm sick and tired of this lag and audio lag.  I can't seem to get any help with it at all.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 8:33 PM

Answers

• I had the problem of audio distortion, clipping and compression after I installed Windows 7. Nothing worked although I properly updated all audio related drives until I stumbled upon new settings interface in Windows 7 which I did not suspect.

Here is what I did, which completely solved my audio problems.

Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Playback tab.

Right click on a playback device, and choose Configure Speakers. The default is set to Stereo. I recommend choosing Quadrophonic if you do not have a subwoofer, and 5.1 Surround if you have a subwoofer connected. Go through the tests and confirm OK. Go through the rest of the playback devices.

Finally, re-confirm default playback device (even if it was already set as default device – by choosing a difference device as default first then re-selecting the intended default device).

Give an audio source such as YouTube a try. I was surprised all my distortions, compressions and clipping issues were now completely gone.

Monday, April 26, 2010 4:40 PM
  • I came across this while googling a fix for this exact problem.   A suggestion from someone on another site seems to have solved my problem, so I decided to post it here in case anyone else comes across this when looking for a fix to this problem.

All I had to do was uninstall Norton anti virus (it was Internet Security 2oo8 or 2009 I believe), and bam.  After restart no distortion at all.  Only time will tell if it was the restart or the uninstall, but Im fairly sure its the uninstall as restarts havent worked previously.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Edit:  No luck.  Once again it came back.  This is driving me nuts.

Sunday, October 03, 2010 6:38 AM

All replies

• The usual answer would be to update your audio drivers. You can use Gateway's website to download the drivers after entering computer's serial number. The instructions on how to install them should also be present there.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:45 PM
  • That didnt work, sadly.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 8:58 PM
  • Next stop is here.
    Friday, February 19, 2010 5:08 PM
  • I was curious if you had found a solution to this problem yet. I just bought a Gateway desktop computer preinstalled with windows 7 with this exact same problem. Please help!
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 3:03 PM
  • I was curious if you had found a solution to this problem yet. I just bought a Gateway desktop computer preinstalled with windows 7 with this exact same problem. Please help!
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 3:04 PM
  • I had the problem of audio distortion, clipping and compression after I installed Windows 7. Nothing worked although I properly updated all audio related drives until I stumbled upon new settings interface in Windows 7 which I did not suspect.

Right click on a playback device, and choose Configure Speakers. The default is set to Stereo. I recommend choosing Quadrophonic if you do not have a subwoofer, and 5.1 Surround if you have a subwoofer connected. Go through the tests and confirm OK. Go through the rest of the playback devices.

Finally, re-confirm default playback device (even if it was already set as default device – by choosing a difference device as default first then re-selecting the intended default device).

Give an audio source such as YouTube a try. I was surprised all my distortions, compressions and clipping issues were now completely gone.

Monday, April 26, 2010 4:40 PM
  • I came across this while googling a fix for this exact problem.   A suggestion from someone on another site seems to have solved my problem, so I decided to post it here in case anyone else comes across this when looking for a fix to this problem.

All I had to do was uninstall Norton anti virus (it was Internet Security 2oo8 or 2009 I believe), and bam.  After restart no distortion at all.  Only time will tell if it was the restart or the uninstall, but Im fairly sure its the uninstall as restarts havent worked previously.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Edit:  No luck.  Once again it came back.  This is driving me nuts.

Sunday, October 03, 2010 6:38 AM
  • I have also been scouring the internet looking for solutions. The problem cannot be forced, it just happens when it happens and once it does, it will never fully recover until a reboot. Every night I get some intense gaming in with Ventrilo running in the back. The problem may or may not start willing online gaming. Today for example it started after I stopped. I closed Ventrilo but the problem persisted. I also attempted to disable any non-essential hardware in Device Manager but could never stop the problem. I get massive DPC Latency spikes during the issue. The sound starts out as slight popping and static, gradually turning into extremely inaudible screeching, static, laggy distortion. 

All drivers and BIOS are up to date.

Windows 7 64-bit

The problem occurs both with on-board audio as well as with PCI audio cards.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:57 AM

I've been pulling my hair out the last few days with horrible audio lag. Gaming was almost impossible and unenjoyable. Usually a quick reboot would solve the problem for a day or two, but for unknown reasons this did the trick and I am no longer experiencing any audio issues at all. Thanks!!!
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 7:53 PM
  • for my options I did not have quadraphonic, just stereo, but from that playback tab, i selected the Speakers/ Headphones default device and clicked on properties, on the Enhancements tab i disabled all enhancements and voila!!!! perfect sound... before this, it would distort after about 50 percent of the volume. i'm not sure which out of the 4 "enhancements" was causing the distorsion Bass management, virtual sound, room correction or loudness equalization. ok bye.
    • Proposed as answer by elHugo Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:23 PM
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:10 PM
  • Hi, I tried your formula. It worked like magic !!!

Thanks a ton

Thursday, August 04, 2011 5:56 PM
  • I had Norton Ghost installed and after uninstalling it everything was back to normal. Thanks a lot for posting this answer as I wouldn't have had a clue that it was messing up my audio.

Cheers!

Friday, November 23, 2012 7:41 AM

amazing mate that fixed my audio lag issues as well and it even sounds better on this mode

Monday, August 12, 2013 3:38 PM
  • This worked for me,been looking for a fix for a couple months finally I came across your solution ...thanks a lot for posting
    Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:38 AM
  • I'm having the same problem but I only have Stereo as an option. Is there another way around this issue?
    Friday, January 31, 2014 2:22 AM
  • uninstalling the antivirus works!!!(in my case it was AVG internet security 2014)
    Monday, February 10, 2014 2:06 PM