none
Windows 7 firewall fails to restore default policy error 3

Question

• Currently, I am using Windows 7 32bits OS.

First, I found that my Network Discovery won't stay ticked. After some troubleshooting on network problems, I found that my windows firewall is configurated wrongly.

Next, I tried to restore default policy of windows firewall through Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. But it failed (msg:Could not restore the default policy Error:3).

Then, I tried to use "netsh advfirewall reset" in cmd. However, the result is still the same (An unrecoverable Windows Firewall error <0x3> occured).

I had also tried the methods suggested in <<Windows Firewall damaged by 'Windows 7 antivirus 2012'>>

But the problem still cannot be solved.

Will anyone help me please??

Thanks

Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:01 AM

Answers

• Ok - I think I have an answer.  Looks like the Firewall polices are corrupted in some weird way.  I found a recommendation:

-  export firewall polices from a Windows 7 computer that does not have this problem.  (Option on the right most panel of the 3 panel screen for Windows Firewall)

- Copy the .wfw file you exported to your bad firewall computer.  

- Use the "import Policy" option in Windows Firewall to replace the firewall policy on the bad computer.

It fixed my issue.  Firewall is working - so are home groups.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:20 AM

All replies

• I have the same issue with Server 2008 R2 (which is same generation as Win7). I have had this issue for at least year and it is driving me nuts. I have spent few hours trying to resolve it but with no success.

I noticed problem when I found out that folder sharing was not possible anymore, when trying to create share with adv. sharing it gives error message like this:
    "An error occurred while trying to share (folder). Incorrect function.
    The shared resource was not created at this time."

Solution that I have found pointed to adv. firewall and suggested that it is needed to reset fw settings to their default. I tried and I am now in the same situation as you with the same Error 3 message.
    Old shares work well, new ones can not be made.

One another solution I found was to check if network discovery and file and printer sharing were enabled.
    -They were not, and when I tried to enable those, they didn't keep that setting. I enabled those, applied new settings, closed windows, opened it again and settings were automatically disabled again.
    I got those staying enabled by switching couple services to automatic start mode and by starting them. That didn't enable folder sharing. I still get same errors.
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 6:01 PM
  • Hi,

I would like suggest you refer to the link below about a similar case and check if that helps:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/5366225a-46e7-4d6c-a389-8bd18a5c3aad/

Regards.

Spencer
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 14, 2013 4:02 AM
  • Spencer Xi, i had already tried the methods from link that you suggested as mentioned previously (<<Windows Firewall damaged by 'Windows 7 antivirus 2012'>>), but the problem still cannot be solved.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:50 PM
  • Hi,

Now, you may try to repair Windows Firewall Files and check if it helps.

How to Repair Windows Firewall Files please see:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6863457_repair-windows-firewall-files.html

Regards.

Spencer
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:58 AM
  • Spencer, thx for the suggestion.

As i mentioned before, i ady tried to use "netsh advfirewall reset" in cmd. However, the result is still the same (An unrecoverable Windows Firewall error <0x3> occured).

For the step "Type "sfc /scannow" and press "Enter." in cmd. This will scan Windows system files and  replace damaged ones with the default from your Windows installation disc."

It show "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violation" after it finished scanning.

After i finshed all the steps in the link, the problem still cannot be solved.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:28 PM
  • Ok - I think I have an answer.  Looks like the Firewall polices are corrupted in some weird way.  I found a recommendation:

-  export firewall polices from a Windows 7 computer that does not have this problem.  (Option on the right most panel of the 3 panel screen for Windows Firewall)

- Copy the .wfw file you exported to your bad firewall computer.  

- Use the "import Policy" option in Windows Firewall to replace the firewall policy on the bad computer.

It fixed my issue.  Firewall is working - so are home groups.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:20 AM
  • THANK YOU so much Nuclear Dave!

This fixed my problem, too..

Woot!!

Sunday, January 27, 2013 6:34 PM
  • I have tried all of the above with no fix. When I try Restore Policy Default I get Could not Restore Code: 3.  When I try import policy I get Access Denied Code: 5.
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:56 PM
  • It didn't work for myself, either.  I get the same error message as 2Smooth4U - Access denied Code: 5
    Thursday, June 06, 2013 3:08 PM
  • I owe you a beer Dave.  Been fighting with a printer that wouldn't share for two days now.. finally tracked it down to network discovery, then the firewall.  Anything and everything failed except this.  I still can't restore the default policy for some reason, but the firewall is working correctly again.

Cheers!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:01 PM
  • The ehow article is erroneous. There is no "reset" command in the advfirewall context. "reset" was part of the deprecated "firewall" context.

C:\Windows\system32>netsh advfirewall firewall reset
    The following command was not found: advfirewall firewall reset.

C:\Windows\system32>netsh advfirewall firewall help

The following commands are available:

Commands in this context:
    ?              - Displays a list of commands.
    add            - Adds a new inbound or outbound firewall rule.
    delete         - Deletes all matching firewall rules.
    dump           - Displays a configuration script.
    help           - Displays a list of commands.
    set            - Sets new values for properties of a existing rule.
    show           - Displays a specified firewall rule.

To view help for a command, type the command, followed by a space, and then
     type ?.

Note the conspicuous absence of "reset."

My own problem is that I've removed Alureon and Sirefef.AB from an office computer and one of them wiped out all of the firewall rules, and neither importing policies exported on another computer nor restoring default settings works. Both result in an "Error 5," whatever that is. Anybody have any ideas?

Thursday, August 01, 2013 4:46 PM
  • This is happening to me right now. I have tried everything so far even running netsh advfirewall reset as admin and still get access denied.

We need more help than what is here can anyone please point us in the right direction?

Friday, October 04, 2013 11:37 PM
  • My situation was that after I finished cleaning a virus off the computer (I believe Win 7 Antispyware 2012), there still were programs affected that needed to be addressed including Network & Sharing, Printer functionality, Firewall functioning, etc.  I tried resetting the Firewall to default and all the other suggestions (sfc /scannow, etc.).  I was able to resolve this issue simply by using the Services Repair utility from ESET Services Repair utility download

It was outlined here on how to do it: Resolving network, firewall and printer issue

I hope this helps!

Friday, November 15, 2013 5:04 PM
  • your tool saved my pc..many thanks.it repair my firewall and win defender..1000 thanks and flowers for u
    Friday, November 22, 2013 7:09 AM
  • Thanks so much it worked like a charm !!!

Eric Ouellet

Thursday, December 05, 2013 6:47 PM
  • Wohoo this worked for me, luckily I have 2 windows 7's on different drives on the same computer, booted the working windows 7 OS policies and copied the exported policy to a pen drive, then booted the damaged window 7 OS (which I use most), imported the policy from the pen drive and what do you know home groups are working again and I can now stream to my TV and other devices.

Genius many thanks for your help ;-) 

Friday, July 18, 2014 8:34 PM
  • Oh I then downloaded the Repair Tool in above post and now it will even restore to default policy wohoooo

• Edited by SLOPPY1000 Friday, July 18, 2014 8:53 PM
    Friday, July 18, 2014 8:39 PM
  • YOU. ARE. A. GENIUS.  

I've been trying to resolve this issue on one of our office computers for weeks.  Nothing else worked.  Thank you.

Friday, March 27, 2015 4:35 PM