none
Cannot type in Edge

Question

• Why can I not type anything in search or the address bar in MS Edge, it's like my keyboard is disconnected. The only way I can use Edge is if I type it in notepad and then copy and paste to Edge.
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:53 PM

All replies

• Open Microsoft Edge Browser and click on the Settings and more  (three dots)

Settings

Clear browsing data 

Choose what to clear

Now select “Cookies and saved website data” and “Cached data and files” and click Clear

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Friday, March 3, 2017 12:06 AM
  • Hi, 

It seems that there is something wrong with Edge, please use following commands in Powershell running as admin to repair the installation: 

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

If this issue still persists, create new user account to check the results. Once the new user account can work fine on Edge, we can try following steps to repair your current user account: 

http://windowsreport.com/corrupt-user-profile-windows-10/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 3, 2017 7:26 AM
  • Why can I not type anything in search or the address bar in MS Edge, it's like my keyboard is disconnected. The only way I can use Edge is if I type it in notepad and then copy and paste to Edge.

I have the same issue.  But luckily, I found my problem.  Maybe you can get some ideas.
    At the begin, I need to tell you; I cannot resolve it.  I only know how to avoid it.

Most of the problem cannot typing in the Edge browser because the software compatible issue.  Especially, the 3rd party software issue. 

All the problem is related with Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable (x86)

I notice after the Creative update, this problem is more seriously. After I disable the program which use 2008 library function. Then, I can type it in the Edge again.

All webpage relates to the XML format or the nice graphic search box.  It is not compatible. 
    If it is a simple webpage.  Then, you don't have any issue at all.  

Edge is more sensitive than ever before (or I should call "Picky"), it collect all the information you type, you seek no matter you like it or not.  That's my understating.

However, there are still many x86 program or driver is still required.  So, you cannot get ride of it.
    Don't try to uninstall 2008 if you have it.....  I need to go get my hammer and reinstall my Windows10 now.

As I said, I don't have solution.  But, at least I can give you an idea from mine.

Saturday, May 13, 2017 5:43 AM
    1. Press Win + R (to open Run )
    2. copy paste and press enter to run this program. "C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe". it brings back the language bar and for me it allowed me to type in windows search, start menu and WINDOWS 10 apps again
    • Proposed as answer by Patrick Wong22 Monday, November 20, 2017 12:52 AM
    Friday, June 30, 2017 6:02 AM
  • Thanks, I just run ctfmon and the problem was solved.
    Friday, July 21, 2017 5:51 PM
  • Thanks, Problem solved :)
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 12:00 PM
  • Problem solved, thanks!
    Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:27 AM
  • Thanks, problem solved
    Sunday, October 8, 2017 3:07 AM
  • still can't type . And i had already done you steps . Which were worthless . 
    Friday, October 20, 2017 5:29 PM
  • Many thanks the problem had been annoying me for weeks .
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 11:05 AM
  • Thank you..It worked. But is there any permanent solution for this problem as I have to run "C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe" everytime I turn on my pc.
    Monday, November 20, 2017 1:29 PM
  • Problem solved! You are awesome! 

The End

Sunday, January 7, 2018 7:55 PM
  • wow that solved it! thanks alot! 
    Monday, January 8, 2018 6:11 PM
  • Thx so much this solved my problem as well.

Monday, January 15, 2018 9:37 AM
  • Thanks , It works . After this command,I am able to write in Cortana search and edge address bar

Sunday, February 18, 2018 3:56 PM
  • thanks's, this help me !

i have a issue regarding window update . whenever i tried to update my pc it state that

some setting managed by your organisation!

hope u ans it asap!

thank you !!

Monday, February 19, 2018 9:34 AM
  • this  fix is for short time , again i have same issue !
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 7:39 AM
  • Seems weird but to resolve this I made the "Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service" run as Automatic in Services panel. This resolved my issue permanently.
    Friday, February 23, 2018 7:07 AM
    1. Press Win + R (to open Run )
    2. copy paste and press enter to run this program. "C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe". it brings back the language bar and for me it allowed me to type in windows search, start menu and WINDOWS 10 apps again

this worked for me. I was having the same issue. could not type in edge. thank you for the solution!!!!
    Saturday, March 17, 2018 12:16 AM
  • This is the solution, but very strange
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 11:05 AM
  • thank you!!!
    Thursday, May 31, 2018 2:26 PM
  • Worked like a charm !

Not only did it fix issues in Internet Explorer Edge but also in Search as well as Calculator.

Thank you Usman for the assistance.

Regards,

AMEY.

• Proposed as answer by ameysm Sunday, July 1, 2018 7:14 AM
    • Edited by ameysm Sunday, July 1, 2018 7:15 AM addition
    Sunday, July 1, 2018 7:14 AM