none
PROBLEM WITH WINDOWS 7 THEMES, WONT REMEMBER SLIDESHOW, CREATES NEW THEMES BY ITSELF

Question

• WIndows 7 ultimate 32 bits
    1) when using a default theme, the background changes by itself. perfect.
    2)when i create a NEW theme with my own backgrounds it works just fine FOR JUST 20 minutes or so. After this time or if I reboot, windows creates a "unsaved theme" with just the current background picture and no more slideshow.
    Cursor, sounds and all other things are unaffected.

Tried to do it with different images, less iamges, more images but same thing happens; windows keeps creating "unsaved" themes and only uses my own, saved theme for a short time.

THis is a brand new installation. "custom install"

thank you
    Friday, December 18, 2009 1:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From Personalization, open "Desktop Background (slide show)" click "clear all", choose your own background, the "change picture" time and other settings. Then "save changes". 

Everytime you make change, there will be unsaved theme which you just consomized on previous window. Remeber to click "Save theme" and delete other saved one by righting click on it directly choose delete without highlight it first.

In addition, if you are using laptop with battery, this function will be disabled automatically to save power.

If this issue persists, create a new user account to test if your user profile is corrupted:

Create a new user account
    ============
    1. Click the Start Button, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click switch to a Classic View in left panel.
    3. Double-click User Accounts.
    4. Click Manage another account.
    Note: Please click Continue if the User Account Control (UAC) window prompts.
    5. Click "Create a new account".
    6. Type in the account name and select choose an account type (For Example: Administrator or Standard user). Then, click Create Account.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 6:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From Personalization, open "Desktop Background (slide show)" click "clear all", choose your own background, the "change picture" time and other settings. Then "save changes". 

Everytime you make change, there will be unsaved theme which you just consomized on previous window. Remeber to click "Save theme" and delete other saved one by righting click on it directly choose delete without highlight it first.

In addition, if you are using laptop with battery, this function will be disabled automatically to save power.

If this issue persists, create a new user account to test if your user profile is corrupted:

Create a new user account
    ============
    1. Click the Start Button, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click switch to a Classic View in left panel.
    3. Double-click User Accounts.
    4. Click Manage another account.
    Note: Please click Continue if the User Account Control (UAC) window prompts.
    5. Click "Create a new account".
    6. Type in the account name and select choose an account type (For Example: Administrator or Standard user). Then, click Create Account.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 6:26 AM
  • Did NOT work.

What happens is, I SAVE a theme "Mushroom" and everything works fine.
    After I reboot the saved theme "Mushroom" is NO LONGER SELECTED, and windows created a "unsaved theme" with NO slideshow.

I then, re-select my "Mushroom" theme, which works fine for a while.
    Then I reboot the pc and once again windows created an unsaved them with no slideshow.
    Then I have to manually select my m Mushroom theme.

Help, this is happening in a brand new windows 7 account. Ultimate 32 bit.
    3 different PC's
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Is the user account a member of the administrator group? Are you in domain?

• Proposed as answer by blainegeneral Friday, April 23, 2010 6:05 AM
    Friday, December 25, 2009 10:03 AM
  • It is the only user in the computer. full admin rights, UAC fully disabled.
    NO domain, these are home computers.

Part of a homegroup.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 4:23 PM
  • I have the exact same problem as you. I have made a theme with a slide show pictures as background that changes about ever 10 minutes. Now and then I notice that the background isn't changing pictures, or sometimes just go all black, and means Windows have created its own theme OUT OF NOWHERE.
    I have not been in the personalize window at all. I have made NO changes to the themes whatsoever. This can happen at ANY time, for example when I am playing a game, watching a movie or just browsing around on the internet.

I have found a few threads on different forums here and there and I have seen no answer to this at all. I am currently on my laptop which I started about 15 minutes ago. I just checked the "Appearance and Personalization" window, and guess what? Windows had created a new theme, yet again, without my slideshow of background images.

If someone knows the solution to this problem, please help.

To clarify, as Magon_67 didn't really seem to understand what the problem is, here's a simple explanation:

I have made my own personalized theme.
    It contain a slideshow of individually selected images from a folder.
    I have made slight adjustments such as other window colors and color intensity.
    Ever so often Windows 7 decides to make its own, unsaved, theme under "My themes", without my slide show of images. Instead it chooses ONE of the few images I use for the SAVED theme ->I<- have created, and sets it as a permanent background image for this unsaved theme ->WINDOWS<- just created (as I said, BY ITSELF).
    This can happen at any time, like while playing a game, watching a movie or browsing the net. It often, but not always, happens after shutting down or restarting the PC.
    This happens on both my desktop PC AND laptop, so it has nothing to do with any specific power plans. Besides, my laptop only have the "balanced" power plan, and my desktop don't have a power plan at all.

They say a picture says more than a thousand words, so...
    http://wm1gha.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pyYnSGyJ72f_TacxLm2YXvGcTQHQWzJnC72aQ8RRXAEP-PbyY7G-S6oo54-Yk-KuK5kKLttPSU65JCz1JiXKQCkY6rs2oMvwf/Untitled.png
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:19 AM
  • Apamedvapen explained it flawlessly.
    Once again, this happens in windows 7 ultimate 32 bit, on 3 different computers;  2 laptops and one desktop.
    and yeah, it sucks.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:11 PM
  • I have a similar issue, however I do not have the ability to Save Themes. I can't right click, and I don't have a GUI link to them in the Personalization menu.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 8:40 AM
  • I had a similar problem and found out that ATI HydraVision was messing with the themes so I disabled it.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Yep it really sucks, I have this problem on a home Windows 7 Home Premium 64 machine.
    I just bought my 70 year old mother a new machine with Windows 7, she's not happy that the family photos she displays via theme need to be reselected every morning when she starts her computer.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:10 PM
  • Doesn't answer the problem.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:12 PM
  • Yeah no one has been able to solve it.
    I don´t want to resort to third party wallpaper changers...they are resource hogs...or don´t offer smooth transitions as windows does.
    apart from that the damned thing should work!

Macs are still overpriced, underpowered, can´t play games and are gay.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:20 PM
  • I'm having the same problem on a brand new machine, and no, I didn't have any third party software preinstalled.  After about 2 weeks of my desktop settings being reset everytime the computer was either restarted or shut down, I have since tried to set up 3rd party software in hopes this problem would stop, it didn't do any good. Win7 won't stop changing my theme/desktop settings the next time it was started.
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 9:30 AM
  • This does not fix the problem.  This problem happens on all Windows 7 32 bit computers I have and manage, both in a domain and not.  The user profile cannot be corrupting over and over, and it cannot do it so frequently.

What happens with me is that when my screen saver runs, it changes the resolution of the screen and then when I wiggle my mouse, it resets back to my native resolution, but creates an "unsaved theme" with a single background and I have to go in and click my saved theme every time!
    Hey Microsoft...Whats Up With This!!?
    James Nelson
    Monday, February 22, 2010 6:29 PM
  • I've noticed the same problem. In my case, it's a 64bit version of Windows 7 but it only seems to happen when I access the machine through Remote Desktop. Most of the time, after I've used Remote Desktop on the machine, only the last wallpaper remains selected as an unsaved theme. I need to reselect my saved them and delete the unsaved them and then it works fine until the next time I log into Remote Desktop.
    Monday, March 1, 2010 9:02 PM
  • Same problem here,  Also after a view slides  it stops.   I created a custom theme with slide show   with    .jpg  .bmp and is about 263mb size theme ( yeah a lot fighter jet pics ) Also mij slide show just stops. (or windows seems to forget i had a slide show setted and not a static background pic)
    i do have some Hi res pictures in here, picture position is setted to stretch, i use Windows 7 64 bit english on a AMD cpu, with asus mainboard and  6 Gb RAM ( to add some background info on settings)  I haven an fully updated system ( Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]) iam a member of the administrators and home members group

what i detect  :

*  after  some slides the slide show just stops, this can be after a view pics or just one,   i have noticed to be random.
    * if i do a right click on the desktop to see if the   NEXT Desktop Background   option is visible in the menu ,   Well it's not. 

when i  do

Rightclick , personalize  than click on the  Desktop background  followed by   pressing   select all  and press   Save changes,  the desktop slide show starts again. Also the Next background picture is back in my right click mouse menu.

here are my custom themes 
     jets theme   and a smaller  space theme 

thx in advance    PS if this is a KNOW ISSUE at MS, please reply   if there is a Fix on the way or still can't be reproduced.

Monday, March 29, 2010 7:16 PM
  • I'm having the same random problem.

I have a custom desktop theme that I made with some of my favorite pictures and it will randomly pick one picture and create an "unsaved theme" with it which kills the slide show.

I thought maybe it was the system doing it when it paused the slide show for power saving while on battery, but I disabled that pause option and it still does it.

It's pretty much the exact same issue that everyone else here seems to be having.  I will keep looking for answers and I hope someone figures it out.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:45 PM
  • Potential solution: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/w7itproui/thread/6eea9ae8-6a94-42af-b3a7-3bdd81d2014d

I had the same or simular problem to most of the people on this post.  THis link solved it for me.  I am curious, does it work for anybody else?

• Proposed as answer by blainegeneral Friday, April 23, 2010 6:00 AM
    Friday, April 23, 2010 5:58 AM
  •  

• Proposed as answer by blainegeneral Friday, April 23, 2010 6:00 AM
    Friday, April 23, 2010 6:00 AM
  •  

• Proposed as answer by blainegeneral Friday, April 23, 2010 6:05 AM
    Friday, April 23, 2010 6:05 AM
  • i've done the  edit powerplan action for the slide show,  did not solved my issue.

Problem still remains

Friday, April 23, 2010 11:08 AM
  • I'm also having the same problem on a brand new machine, except I have never even tried to use the slideshow feature in my theme. The customized theme doesn't disappear, but every time I reboot, a default theme comes OUT OF NOWHERE. I reselect my custom theme and delete the random default theme (it's the same every time), but it always shows up again on my next reboot. So weird/annoying.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:17 AM
  • Also having this very same issue on a laptop (always plugged in, but shouldn't matter when power is restored in the event it is unplugged) running Windows 7 64 bit edition - have tried every proposed resolution I could find online to no avail - even tried editing the Registry settings and it still created a new unsaved theme, but then wouldn't let me change it until I reversed the Registry changes, which were designed to prevent it changing in the first place...
    Monday, May 10, 2010 9:06 PM
  • You might  think when a topic is started @   TECHNET.microsoft.com that someone at MS  looks at these forums / topics or  at least  reports this to a developer. Is there a way to submit a call to microsoft concerning this issue ?       Cause my slideshow still crashes.  Well  this topic started in   2009 ,  its now may 2010   and STILL the issue remains.
    my event managers doesnt report anything crashing at all. so i cannot report any eventid corresponding to this issue.

CAN SOMEONE AT MS  PLEASE  TEST THIS AND TRY TO SIMULATE THIS.  OR submit a TICKET referreing too this issue. im not the onlyone here ... (download my jet theme (id posted in my previous post) and  PLS check our issue         hence, or react in this topic/forum.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:05 PM
  • Wow this issue has been going on for a while now and still no answer? I have tried everything to fix my issue and nothing works. I select the slideshow i want. Then reboot and it's back to just the one wallpaper and no slideshow. UGH And this is on a Genuine Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium HP Laptop.
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 5:05 AM
  • Hi all. I am also having the theme problem. I choose a different theme, shut down and on windows restart my theme appears untill desktop icons loadedand then reverts to a new "unsaved theme". I am using windows 7 64 bit on an asus notebook. I phoned microsoft and thet told me as my copy of windows came preinstalled on my pc that they could help me if i were to pay them $AUD80!! I called asus and tried many solutions ie: making a new used acount and deleting the old one, but nothing worked. Seems microsoft will have to write a patch to fix tis bug.

Friday, June 4, 2010 6:38 AM
  • I have the same problem with Windows 7 Ultimate (oh the irony, something "Ultimate" cannot even change the wallpaper...). The 'Next wallpaper' right click choice disappears when the slideshow stops. Very quickly now, only a few pics.

It was suggested elsewhere that in %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\themes either editing slideshow.ini to zero or deleting that file and transcoded wallpaper.jpg would help, but these do nothing.

I don't do remote desktop, current (actually all of them) power settings are set to slideshow enable.

Descriptions by Apamedvapen and The Sjoerd above are very accurate.

Saturday, June 12, 2010 10:04 PM
  • One interesting thing to note:

The issue does not seem to be exclusively related to the slide show feature but rather the theme feature itself.

I quit trying to use slide shows since they constantly caused the unsaved theme issue, and I started just creating separate themes with random pictures.  I have still had it revert to an unsaved theme from my saved theme that contained only one picture and no slide show.  The only reason I even noticed the change was that the screen saver had changed from the one I usually use.

One possibly suspect cause of this is maybe the system gets a hiccup every once in a while when it sets the graphics to windows 7 basic at the launch of a game.  It does not seem to have any problems with the theme 99% of the time however when games launch etc etc.  It's a difficult problem to reproduce and seems very random, although it definitely does happen much more when you are attempting to use the slide show feature in your theme.

Hey Bill Gates, please hire someone to fix your latest operating system...  I'm tired of my toolbars disappearing at random too.
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 5:02 PM
  • SOLVED:

Ok guys, I'm 90% sure I have solved this one (thank god).

The problem is with fastboot and adobe reader. If you have fastboot enabled, it usually automatically delays Adobe Reader Speed Launcher. I'm pretty sure Adobe Reader must be needed in some way to run the slideshow on startup. What you need to do is turn the delay OFF in Fastboot.

So:

Start button > search "fastboot" > Turn adobe reader delay to OFF.

Monday, June 21, 2010 4:27 AM
  • My search doesnt find this,  can you give a location where you found this ? or where in pdf reader it can be found.
    cheers Sjoerd 

Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:53 PM
  • Here's the solution that works for me, and it should work for everyone.  Just don't use saved themes.  If you don't save your theme and leave it as an Unsaved Theme, then the system won't create a new one.  My slideshow and screensaver are working just fine after I stopped using custom saved themes and just built one and didn't save it.  It sucks not being able to save different themes for different uses and all, but it's better than nothing.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 4:14 AM
  • hey can u help me out  my background is black and i cant change it when i want to change it it say the page failed to load..can u help im really frustrated
    Monday, August 23, 2010 2:23 AM
  • hey can u help me out  my background is black and i cant change it when i want to change it it say the page failed to load..can u help im really frustrated

has nothing to do with the problem mentioned in this post, please start a post yourself or find a post that correponds to your issue  ( btw you could create a new profile and see if issue remains)

BTW do people (posters in this threat) still have the issue about backgroundslides  in custom profiles freezing up ? 

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:25 PM
  • I'm still having all kinds of screwball problems with desktop themes in general.  It doesn't even have to be a slideshow and it will get messed up.

I have been setting it to one picture and leaving it as an "unsaved theme" and upon reboot it will sometimes randomly go back to a picture I had used previously instead of the last one I had set it to.

So, I don't really believe it's a slide show causing this whole mess.  It must be some flaw in the whole theme system.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:55 PM
  • I have a very similar problem. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium on an Asus G73jh laptop.

Issue/Steps
    -----------
    - Right click on desktop and select Personalize
    - Click on Desktop Background
    - Choose a new picture and change the Picture Position to Fill
    - Click Save Changes
    - Save theme or leave it as an Unsaved Theme, either way I still have the following problem.
    - Log off or reboot the lappy
    - Log back in and the Desktop Background picture is no longer in Fill mode but in Center mode
    - Right click on desktop and select Personalize
    - If you previously saved a theme then your saved theme is no longer selected and there is a new Unsaved Theme with Picture Position set to Center. If I reselect the previously saved theme then the image goes back to Fill.
    - If you didn't save a theme then the Unsaved Theme still existed the but eh Picture Position is reset to Center

I tried using the HP Wall Paper Position Enabler but that didn't help.
    Problem exists on current administrator account and a new administrator account I also made for testing.

No solution so far and it's lame that Windows 7 is resetting my background image to Center every time.

Sunday, October 31, 2010 7:51 AM
  • ive got the same problem runnin windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, what happened to the simple way of changing a desktop wallpaper like in XP....
    Monday, November 15, 2010 1:12 PM
  • Arthur Xie should not be marking things as the answer when the post clearly is incorrect.  This one even barks up the wrong tree and solves nothing.
    James Nelson
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 12:07 AM
  • I've found the solution!! Well, it's a little bit of a long process:

In order to fix the problem, you'll need to use the upgrade feature of Windows 7 (Using Upgrade WILL NOT DELETE any of your personal files or programs, it will only repair some critical system files.

After the finishing the long process of doing the  in-place upgrade (about 2 - 3:30 hours) the problem WILL be resolved, well, at least, for me it worked. The only thing that was uninstalled was the driver of my video card, but nothing else. Many people think that in order to fix this persistent issue, they had to do a clean install of Win7, but the upgrade feature would fix any problems the system has suffered, the only thing that it will not do is remove persistent viruses... That's when the clean install comes in.

In-Place upgrade

===========
    1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.
    2. Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
    3. Use one of the following procedures:

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.
    If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click the Start Button, type Drive:\setup.exe in the start search box and then click OK.

Note: Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows 7.

• Proposed as answer by J2_Lz Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:40 PM
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:39 PM
  • I do not have Windows 7 DVD as I have same issue on my laptop with Recory disk which will put back all my system. Same with another one Dell PC which also came with no Windows DVD's. Is there any other way to fix this weird problem?
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 11:13 AM
  • I also have a user with this issue.  Doing an inplace upgrade is not at all practical for this user.  The problem occurs each time he connects via remote desktop, which is a daily basis.

Disappointed there is still no solution.

Monday, January 17, 2011 12:04 PM
  • Wow!  This problem has been over a year long.  Absolutely amazing how we, Windows users, are deliberately ignored by the software engineers at MS.

Not only are all editions of Windows 7 having this theme problem, I also experienced the same problem with remote desktop sessions to Windows Server 2008 R2 with Desktop Experience.  I truly believe that the root of this problem is in the theme itself.  Can someone at Microsoft really investigate and fix this annoying problem rather than letting it sit?

Friday, January 21, 2011 4:04 AM
  • Hi,

I have a different issue all together now, i recently installed a new computer i3, 2GB RAM, 500G HDD, 600W Power, all together was working fine until i added a new slide show on to my desktop with high res pics, once i set this system runs fine for only a few minutes or quite some while about an hour or so. then it reboots automatically without even showing any error message. not even a blue screen, no crash report on event viewer, even tried disable automatic restart, still not working at all. Is there a proper solution for this i even tried reinstalling with 64-bit version.

Regards

Mangal S

Mangalanathan S
    Monday, February 14, 2011 1:39 AM
  • Hi,

I finally solved my Theme problem after a lot of effort searching internet etc. It was my virtual desktop tool. After I change to other virtual desktop a new theme is created and when I boot windows 7 the theme is lost. I was using Catalyst (TM) Control Center virtual desktop, but I have the impression that other virtual desktop tools might also affect the Theme. I'm using no virtual desktop now until I find one tool that does not affect the theme.

Carlos.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 12:14 PM
  • OK!!  FIXED but Windows code is still the root cause!!  This equivalent problem has bugged me for MONTHS!  I have four Windows 7 machines of very similar architecture.  Two have this problem and one began emulating this yesterday.

RECAP:  Every time windows opens there is an Unsaved Theme.  No existing saved themes seem to be used thou they are functional and saved in the user directory.  The usaved theme is similar to my saved theme but intermmitently it loses the slide show.  Displaying only the last picture used.  BUT, it always loses the presentation, setting it to Stretched as opposed to Fit.

This fix DOES NOT involve any Upgrade (clearly that is only a patch and the problem can return).

After setting everything how I wanted it and saving that theme.  Through REGEDIT I looked at the Control Panel/Desktop in CURRENT USER and noted all of the settings.  I then went to HKEY USERS and set ALL of the sub functions that contained similar Desktop data to the same settings.  Two were NOT equivalent!.

Problem eliminated!  Only Save themes are used after reboot and so far it appears stable.

Caveat:  There are only Two Users on my machine, both are me. The newer one was created to investigate whether a new profile, identically structured, contained the issue, which it did not.

I repeated this on all machines and it appears to have fixed the problem.  I don't think the source creator is fixed as this is clearly a coded Windows issue, but the problem is fixed without reinstallation or new profile creation, and it is repeatable.

• Proposed as answer by Jerry Litzza Saturday, March 19, 2011 7:04 PM
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 6:46 PM
  • Just need to clarify a couple of points with you Jerry.

When you say you make sure that current user and HKEY_USERS  are set the same, you're meaning only the current user's matching entry under HKEY_USERS, not every entry under HKEY_USERS? I'm sure you mean only the entry that matches your current user entry (you don't want .default, the administrator entry, guest user entry, etc done).

Also, do you mean just for the Desktop folder or all the sub-folders as well (Colors, LanguageConfiguration, MuiCached, WindowMetrics)?

If it's just Desktop, then mine already match and I'm still getting the default theme reappearing; i.e. it hasn't fixed the problem.

Cheers, Andy.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 12:30 AM
  • I mean ALL of them.  The Administator is who cares, the .Default, is most assuredly (Ithink this was the cause).  Do not add key fields just amend those existing.

I just edited Desktop not the subKeys.  For whatever reason this worked for me and the issue has not returned. ... yet.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:56 PM
  • Jerry, can you remember which keys you compared to the current user keys?

Yousuf Khan
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:21 AM
  • I have this problem and today finally did a search on the net to find I am not the only one frustrated by this problem.  I have always left the theme unsaved and after a variable amount of time the slideshow ceases to work and remains on the same picture.  I do like to click the "next desktop background" in the context menu and I have wondered if that has something to do with the problem.  I have not yet tried the regedit solution.  How about a patch Microsoft?  It's about time.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 4:41 PM
  • I have this problem and today finally did a search on the net to find I am not the only one frustrated by this problem.  I have always left the theme unsaved and after a variable amount of time the slideshow ceases to work and remains on the same picture.  I do like to click the "next desktop background" in the context menu and I have wondered if that has something to do with the problem.  I have not yet tried the regedit solution.  How about a patch Microsoft?  It's about time.

You know something, I think I may have solved my problem, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why it works. Maybe this will help some subset of the users who have this problem, because maybe there's more than one issue that causes it? What I found was that I had a large set of scheduled tasks that had gotten corrupted for some reason. These are the tasks that run unattended in the background at specific times of the day. In the process of fixing up the corrupted scheduler problem, I found that my desktop themes no longer are stopping their slideshow as often. It still happens, but instead of happening after a few hours or few minutes, it may now only happen once every few weeks or months.

This is the thread I started regarding the corrupted scheduler, and the solution I that I found for it. If some of you would check your scheduled tasks list, maybe you'll find that you got some of these tasks are constantly failing. Maybe it'll help with this problem too?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/38ae20a0-9486-4b03-ada0-aab3a9505ac5/#3fc37c7d-0ba6-4cb1-bcef-74d697960287

Yousuf Khan

Monday, June 20, 2011 8:55 PM
  • This is a bug. I had the same problem, but try this.
    Go to your system root drive. Mine is "C". Go to users, select yours and then in the bar at the top, type in AppData. Hit enter, and you will see some hidden folders. First, select Local. Got to Microsoft, then Windows, Then Theme. You will see a list of themes under some folders. Delete the one that says "Custom." Then, Select any of the themes under it, and copy it within the folder. Rename it to "Custom." Then Open up the personalization panel, then delete it and it shouldn't pop up.

Hopefully this helps

GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME!

Friday, September 30, 2011 12:17 AM
  • I have it when I restart windows (7 64 bit). The new unsaved theme always has BGInfo.bmp picture. You can find it in the C:\Windows folder. There's also two BGInfo programs that project stuff on your desktop. When I start windows first for a few seconds I get my own theme picture, then when the BGInfo stuff comes in, the BGInfo.bmp also is forced in. To me it seems that whenever this BGInfo is promted (after a game or a remote session also maybe?) the unsaved Custom.theme is forced into Personalisation My Themes. What part of windows does this? I've tried to replace the BGInfo.bmp picture - useless. Windows replaces it again.
    Monday, October 10, 2011 12:09 AM
  • i think fixed it!

just go here : C:\Users\Home\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

delete slideshow.ini & TranscodedWallpaper.jpg (don't shift+delet)

then go personalize (reopen if you opened it befor), select other theme..

if problem fixed, ok, if not, just recycle slideshow.ini, select windows default aero theme, delet slideshow.ini again, now select aero themes, your problem may (must!) fixed :)

• Proposed as answer by mintlatte Monday, November 28, 2011 6:59 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 5:17 AM
  • i think fixed it!

if problem fixed, ok, if not, just recycle slideshow.ini, select windows default aero theme, delet slideshow.ini again, now select aero themes, your problem may (must!) fixed :) 

THANK YOU! this worked - I finally have desktop pictures back :-)

• Edited by mintlatte Monday, November 28, 2011 7:02 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 7:01 PM
  • OH MY GOODNESS!!! Thank you SOOOO much!!!

This fixed it for me even with shift+delete of the slideshow.ini and the transcodedwallpaper.jpg (read not to shift+delete right after I did it).

Navid, you're my hero. :) 

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 4:18 AM
  • i think fixed it!

Still not working here -- Win7 Pro running via Parallels on a Mac; desktop slides worked before and suddenly stopped. I don't find a "Home" directory under Users, nor does a search for AppData come up with anything... Huh?.... still stumped.
    Sunday, January 1, 2012 6:10 PM
  • hi try this it worked for me just click the link follow instructions https://support.soluto.com/entries/20592296-windows-could-not-connect-to-the-system-event-notification-service-error then reset themes
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:53 PM
  • hi try this it worked for me just click the link follow instructions https://support.soluto.com/entries/20592296-windows-could-not-connect-to-the-system-event-notification-service-error
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:55 PM
  • Thank you... this thing was really starting to rub me the wrong way....
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:41 PM
  • Did all of this, even set up a new account....no luck.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:35 PM
  • No result of 'fastboot'.

And what is Adobe Reader delay?!?

Saturday, March 31, 2012 6:48 AM
  • Well, you HAVE TO KNOW how to solve the problem but not like what you said above.
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 6:58 AM
  • i think fixed it!

THANK YOU! this worked - I finally have desktop pictures back :-)

Sorry. My theme does not have slideshow so your solution doesn't work for me. My theme has only 1 wallpaper before the problem appears. There is only 1 wallpaper in every theme that I created from the day I buy the PC until now. I sometimes mind that before I see the 'Unsaved Theme'. There are nothing in 'slideshow.ini'. Microsoft should check this problem and make the solution known to public.
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 8:21 AM
  • Sorry to bump an old thread, but I think I may have found a solution that will help td of people like myself. Windows is programmed to save a theme called unsaved theme at every reboot for some ridiculous reason. So just simply create your own theme and name it "Unsaved Theme". Or exactly what it is called in windows, and then windows will not be able to create one with that name and then will therefore continue to use the only available one in that area which is the one you created. 

I only use one theme, so it can only choose the only available one.

Friday, May 18, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Finally a correct one. thanks man you're the best
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:40 AM
  • Hey magon,

Done that.  My trouble seems to be whne I have it set on a day to day basis.  After like the 5th day, it won't change..  Using a downloaded windows theme from the MS site.  I"m running Winfirewall, MSSecEss and Spybot S/D Teatimer.  I've checked Teatimer and only found one possible incident of it shutting it off.  Maybe tt is causing the trouble.  I'll have to check the logs again and see what's happening.  This looks like a good site.  Thanks and keep up the good work.

sincerely

shawn

Friday, August 31, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Hey magon,

Done that.  My trouble seems to be whne I have it set on a day to day basis.  After like the 5th day, it won't change..  Using a downloaded windows theme from the MS site.  I"m running Winfirewall, MSSecEss and Spybot S/D Teatimer.  I've checked Teatimer and only found one possible incident of it shutting it off.  Maybe tt is causing the trouble.  I'll have to check the logs again and see what's happening.  This looks like a good site.  Thanks and keep up the good work.

sincerely

shawn

I fogot.  I put it on 10s cycle and it works fine!
    Friday, August 31, 2012 9:49 PM
  • I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and I just recently started having this problem. I use two different style themes: one is dreamscene, and the other is the regular photo slide show. I like to create custom themes based on what I like but ever since this happened I haven't even been able to even switch between themes. I even tried it like Magon_67 said but that didn't even work. The only thing that I can change when switching from one theme to the next is the sounds and the cursors.

Monday, September 9, 2013 3:40 PM
  • I can't believe this problem continues to current Windows 8.1.

I was wondering why the background on my laptop remains a single picture forever after a while after I downloaded a multiple background picture theme on Windows Theme website

Come on, Microsoft needs to hire better QA resources like me! Maybe some QA members have reported this issue but someone else has decided it's low priority or whatever, so nobody is fixing the problem. Or, even worse, nobody within the organization has ever detected this issue. Either way, a better QA resource is required so someone in the QA team can step up and find problems like this or to confront the bad decision of not fixing it.

Friday, October 24, 2014 1:00 AM
  • June 25th, 2015 AND NO........

"FIXED"  yet Wow seriously sad. So my only choice is to spend a few hours of my life (which isn't going to be that much longer really) only to HOPE one of the above fixes may or may not not work on my Box?

I feel a deep sad pain in my IT brain (what's left of it)  Well this a lot better to whine about than in 3.0 before we even had a registry.  <LOL>
    Monday, June 22, 2015 6:57 PM
  • As this is an old question, can I post an answer that works 100%? I ask because I applied a solution to it and problem gone, theme Slide Show even works well without the problem for more than one month.
    • Edited by GTAVLover Monday, September 5, 2016 10:57 AM
    Monday, September 5, 2016 10:56 AM