none
Install.Wim missing

Question

• I receive the error message

Information for OSI Image cannot be bathered, since the file install.wim is not available.

I am operating a laptop which has Windows xp installed. I try to execute a new install, however I am getting before mentioned error message early in the install process at which I have not yet been asked whether I intend to upgrade/new install.

I believe the ISO file is ok since it works well up to the point of before mentioned error message

Thanks for any help, Emmerich
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:13 PM

Answers

• install.wim does not exist ...

Some people are not able to install Windows 7 from the .iso file they have downloaded and burned to a DVD.  Myself included.

After several failed attempts, I used this workaround:  copy all the files in the .iso to an empty folder on the hard drive; then install Windows 7 from the hard drive by clicking the setup.exe file.  I had no problem at all installing Windows 7 this way.  Evidently, my .iso file was not corrupted during download; the .iso file was burned correctly to the DVD; and I am able to copy the files correctly from the DVD to my hard drive.  It may be that the software MS uses for Setup is not robust enough to handle a file as large as install.wim on all brands of DVD drives.

Files may be extracted from the .iso file using IsoBuster, or similar software; or simply open the DVD, select all the files / folders, and drag them to an empty folder on the hard drive.  Then run setup.exe from the hard drive.

For the record, I'm running Windows XP (SP3) on a PC with SuperMicro C2SBA+ motherboard (integrated audio / video / Ethernet), 2 GB PC6400 memory, Sony DRU-V200A EIDE DVD, 2 SATA 500 GB hard drives, and 1 ESATA hard drive.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:19 PM
  • Same problem on multiple install attempts missing [install.wim]. It came down to burning the disk at too high a speed. I reburnt at absolute minimum speed and had no more problems, this was with the same download.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:08 PM
  •   I had the same problem. I burnt several disks and did 2 downloads. All disks had the same problem. The solution was to change my DVD drive. My computer had an older DVD Rom drive and there must have been a compatibility issue between that drive and Windows 7. I swapped it out for a newer DVD from another computer (that is the only change I made to the computer) and the install went without a problem using one of the same disks that would not work with the other drive. The install was made to an empty formatted disk. Definately a DVD compatibility problem in my case. All the burned disks were fine.

I also later installed Windows 7 to an old Toshiba M35X-S149 laptop (clean formatted hard drive) without a problem (downloaded and used XP video drivers from Toshiba's web site after initial install was up and running) using one of the same disks that would not work with the old DVD drive on the other computer. It actually runs pretty good on the old Celeron powered laptop. Very usable.
    Monday, February 09, 2009 1:17 AM

All replies

• When did you download the .iso?  Before the servers went back up my download would "complete" prematurely.  If I tried to boot the partial .iso setup would start but would give the same error you see.

Your .iso should be about 2.4 gb.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:28 PM
  • I got about the same error: "Windows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [install.wim] does not exist."

I tried to install on an Fujitsu-Siemens laptop C1020. It has a swedish keyboard but I tried both selecting swedish and the default us-english.

My iso is 2.5GB (2618793984 bytes).
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:28 PM
  • Never mind. The problem were a bad disc.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 6:37 PM
  • I have been getting this same error? I tried 3 burns of the install. guess I'll try to re download it.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:15 PM
  • getting the same problem

burnt 3 DVD+R now, last one at 4x Verified.

My ISO is from MS, it's hash matches Microsofts D:
    Monday, January 12, 2009 11:42 AM
  • I was getting this message when trying to install with a SCSI DVD-ROM. I don't think the beta comes with SCSI drivers, so after it booted from it, and loaded what I assume is the install process from a ramdisk, it didn't have the drivers to read the dvd-rom. I installed an extra IDE dvd drive and was able to continue the install from there, so the install disk was not bad in my case.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Trying this simply booting from an IDE DVD.

Some other forums talking about this problem all seem to be homing in on DVD-ROM incompatibilities, however this could all be wrong because many are having this issue with Virtual PC/VMWare etc :(
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:03 PM
  • I downloaded the iso on 11. Jan andf it has about 2.4GB
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:09 PM
  • interesting, my download was 2.4, not 2.5GB
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:10 PM
  • did the re-download help?
    • Proposed as answer by Rusty7021 Monday, January 12, 2009 8:40 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Arie SlobMVP, Editor Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:05 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:10 PM
  • install.wim does not exist ...

Some people are not able to install Windows 7 from the .iso file they have downloaded and burned to a DVD.  Myself included.

After several failed attempts, I used this workaround:  copy all the files in the .iso to an empty folder on the hard drive; then install Windows 7 from the hard drive by clicking the setup.exe file.  I had no problem at all installing Windows 7 this way.  Evidently, my .iso file was not corrupted during download; the .iso file was burned correctly to the DVD; and I am able to copy the files correctly from the DVD to my hard drive.  It may be that the software MS uses for Setup is not robust enough to handle a file as large as install.wim on all brands of DVD drives.

Files may be extracted from the .iso file using IsoBuster, or similar software; or simply open the DVD, select all the files / folders, and drag them to an empty folder on the hard drive.  Then run setup.exe from the hard drive.

For the record, I'm running Windows XP (SP3) on a PC with SuperMicro C2SBA+ motherboard (integrated audio / video / Ethernet), 2 GB PC6400 memory, Sony DRU-V200A EIDE DVD, 2 SATA 500 GB hard drives, and 1 ESATA hard drive.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:19 PM
  • Same problem on multiple install attempts missing [install.wim]. It came down to burning the disk at too high a speed. I reburnt at absolute minimum speed and had no more problems, this was with the same download.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:08 PM
  • Hey People,

Been looking around for ages trying to find a solution to my problem...
    its this missing “install.wim” error,

I downloaded and installed the 32bit ed and it seemed to take fine…. However it had just installed a new mobo + 4gb and pro (AMD 9950 x4) however my Hdd was playing up so I used an old 20gb just to see what win 7 was like, its still working on this hdd. I have now got a new hdd installed however I can seem to get the same dvd iso to install on the new drive.

I have tried…

Re-burning (according to nero burnt successfully)

Re-burning at min speed (according to nero burnt successfully)

My dell xps 1330 that I have been using to burn the iso did have some minor glitches that didn’t affect the first burn, however…

I tried using another laptop and another iso burner powergo or something that was on it… and again burnt successfully but no go when installing same error

I have downloaded the full file again both in 32 and 64 both have the same error, I’m in the process of downloading on the other machine just encase the file is now corrupted on my dell xps.

I have tried to install it on an older laptop that I have, even though older it meets the min spec criteria still same error now I have literally 28 burnt dvds that all have the same problem, this leads me back to the original download…..

If anyone has ideas let me know, I will post again when I get the file and burn it on the other laptop.

Finally dispute the severe lack of space on a 20gb hdd I think the new twists to, lets face it, vista are funky. I also have a new brain wave keyboard mouse thingy, it’s a prototype but its wired when u look at the screen and the mouse moves to ware you want….  anyway back to win 7 thanks for reading.

Monday, February 02, 2009 12:25 AM
  •   I had the same problem. I burnt several disks and did 2 downloads. All disks had the same problem. The solution was to change my DVD drive. My computer had an older DVD Rom drive and there must have been a compatibility issue between that drive and Windows 7. I swapped it out for a newer DVD from another computer (that is the only change I made to the computer) and the install went without a problem using one of the same disks that would not work with the other drive. The install was made to an empty formatted disk. Definately a DVD compatibility problem in my case. All the burned disks were fine.

I also later installed Windows 7 to an old Toshiba M35X-S149 laptop (clean formatted hard drive) without a problem (downloaded and used XP video drivers from Toshiba's web site after initial install was up and running) using one of the same disks that would not work with the old DVD drive on the other computer. It actually runs pretty good on the old Celeron powered laptop. Very usable.
    Monday, February 09, 2009 1:17 AM