none
Windows 7 64bit usb driver 7.1.7600 is no good Iwant to revert to 6.1.7100 which DO work

Question

• Hi,

I'v a Acer Aspire M16410 and have fresh installed Windows 7 64 bit 7600.16385 and find that the usb card reader is not functioning correctly, cards inserted do not appear in "My Computer". According to device manager Generic drivers are installed and working with no problems.
    Please advise which drivers should I use or what settings have to be set?

note> I have nvidia drivers 15.37 installed
    • Edited by saabw Sunday, September 27, 2009 10:08 AM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 3:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• Try looking for Vista drivers on the Acer site. You need cardreader drivers no chipset drivers. The nVidia drivers are for your GPU or chipset not for the Cardreader.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Only mentioned chipset in case someone suggested an update. I Can not find drivers on acer website, have current got Generic drivers, have tried Realtek_XPVistaWin7_WHQL_6.1.7600.30105 and Ricoh_R5C833_XP_Vista32_64_070906 the last two do not support my device. Generic say driver installed and working but put a card in and it is not recognised in fact the drives do not appear in My Computer as previously said. The drive do work as they work with Vista 32 bit Home Premium (dual boot) and they use Generic drivers in Vista.

Any help please

Have tried a external Hama usb 2 cardreader, driver installs but connect on usb and message device is isntalled and ready to use but it does not appear in my computer, inserting a card and that does not show either. Tried in the Vista boot and it works.

Friday, September 25, 2009 8:46 PM
  • Does anybody have any suggestions, I am not happy with Windows 7 at the moment or do remove and insist on my money back?
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 7:25 AM
  • Title of the thread seems a whee bit misleading :)

Go into device manager.

View devices by connection.

Find the USB storage device.

Uninstall it, then scan for hardware changes, and then report back on what nodes are visible under the USB storage device.

Can you clarify what model of PC you have please?  I think there might be an extra digit in there.

Thanks,
    Mark

Want to know if your hardware will work on Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Microsoft Logo'd Hardware List**
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 4:25 PM
  • Mark

Hi,

Thanks for replying, thread title is meaning that the Windows 7 does not work with driver 6.1.7600.16385 and is useless.
    Also the Realtek and Ricoh drivers do not work either PC is ACER M1640, ok uninstalled USB mass storage in USB Serial Bus cntrollers and did a scan for changes and still have in Disk drives
    Generic USB CF Reader USB device
    Generic USB MS Reader USB device
    Generic USB SD Reader USB device
    Generic USB SM Reader USB device
    WDC WD32 00AAJS-22B4A SCSI Device

Tried a phone memory card and no reaction, in that it is not shown in my computer and I can not access it.

Tried in Vista boot and no problem

Saturday, September 26, 2009 7:34 PM
  • Well, from a USB point of view, it sounds like all of the devices (the USB readers) are showing up correctly.

Please open the Disk Management tool and see if the drives appear there.  Then see if anything changes when you insert or remove the media.
    Want to know if your hardware will work on Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Microsoft Logo'd Hardware List**
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 8:19 PM
  • Hi,

In disk management only the HDD appears, no reaction to inserting or removing media

Saturday, September 26, 2009 8:39 PM
  • I have just deleted each of the USB drives in Disk drives and USB mass storage in USB controllers then scan for hardware changes and they re loaded and appeared in "my computer" then mesaage to software did not install properly came up four times and on each ocassion each of the drive icons disappeared
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 9:14 PM
  • Please look in c:\windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log

Scroll up from the bottom, and find all of the sections with a date/timestamp from today.

Please copy that info into a message here.
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 9:16 PM
  • I get script errors so can I send as attachement to email or pm, it is 1.02mb in size

Saturday, September 26, 2009 10:05 PM
  • Well I attached my phone to the USB with the memory card and it is recognised and readible. But not using the PC card reader or using an external USB card reader.
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 10:27 PM
  • How do revert to 6.1.7100 drivers?
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 10:07 AM
  • saabw,
    Do you have driver disks for the card readers? Install the drivers in compatibility mode and test. Method here. Choose an XP version. Try the usb reader first.
    ASUS P4PE-P4 Extreme 3.4gHz-2gb G.Skill PC3200-XPSP3:55gb-Win7RC:17gb-DATA:500gb-ASUS N6800GT
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 1:16 PM
  • As I mentioned early there are no drivers on the Acer website that is why I am asking here where to find them.
    to summarise the pc is dual boot vista and w7(7600) ultimate 64 the card reader work with vista but not w7 (both pc and a external usb one) though a laptop with w7(7100) Ultimate RC the external usb one does work.

I have tried realtek/ricoh/cardr and they do not work what I want is how to install ubstor.sys 6.1.7100 as this works in w7 rc

ubstor.sys 6.1.7600 is rubbish.

I have installed on behalf of friend who is a IT manager who are preparing to change to w7 and on this experience I am going to tell to him to advise his company to stay clear of w7 and to let anybody they know the same.

Why have Microsoft c****d up on the rtm driver?
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 2:33 PM
  • forgot to mention I have pre ordered W7 home premium and w7 pro from amazon and I thinking now of cancelling because of this.
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 2:36 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion but my M1640 is a E4700 CPU with a nvidia MCP73 chipset motherboard and as mentioned in the first post I have nvidia 15.37 driver software installed from their website.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 5:57 AM
  • As far as I can tell, usbstor is working fine here.  The problem exists elswhere (disks/volumes/filesystem/other things I'm probably missing).  I'll see if I can find someone who is more of an expert on those sorts of problems to take a peek at this one.

I would definitely suggest that you do not try putting the 7100 version of usbstor on a 7600 machine.  That is a totally unsupported and untested scenario.

Please try to be a little more patient, and hopefully we can find someone to assist you next week.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Monday, September 28, 2009 6:33 AM
  • Mark,

Thanks, I will be patient.

With all the installing, uninstalling and scan for hardware changes I ran Phoenix register cleaner and now I find that the external usb cardreader works, the pc one still does not work.

Regards

Ken
    Monday, September 28, 2009 12:00 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion but my M1640 is a E4700 CPU with a nvidia MCP73 chipset motherboard and as mentioned in the first post I have nvidia 15.37 driver software installed from their website.

Hmmm... I left out the M-thought it was a notebook. Sheesh-Acer is not real open about the system specs. BIOS installed version R01.C2?

Searching nVidia's site seems to associate MCP73 with the nForce610(MCP73e) and the nForce620(MCP73ve)

15.37 supports 610i and 630i. Have you been able to determine if you have a 620 or 610?
    ASUS P4PE-P4 Extreme 3.4gHz-2gb G.Skill PC3200-XPSP3:55gb-Win7RC:17gb-DATA:500gb-ASUS N6800GT
    Monday, September 28, 2009 2:18 PM
  • OK. When you are in Vista, device manager, check the properties of the card reader for the hardware id. That will help identify it and determine which drivers it may need.

I also posted above noting my error in checking the specs on your computer. ;-). Desktop, not notebook.

Anyway, it is difficult to tell if the 15.37 supports the (MCP73VE, 620i) and Acer is not forthcoming on the system specs. 610i is supported. 630i is supported. Look here.
    620i doesn't seem to be.  You want to be sure, so that no other odd issues arise. Perhaps a look in the case at the printing on the chipset is in order.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 2:35 PM
  • Nano Warp,

Thanks for the response.

It is geforce7050/620i so I have now returned to using acer vista 64 driver:
     Chipset_NVIDIA_5.1.2600.0463_Vistax64
    This WinVista nForce driver package for MCP73 consists of the following components:

Ethernet Driver (v67.72) WHQL
    SMU Driver (v1.39) WHQL
    SATAIDE Driver (v10.3.0.16) WHQL
    SATARAID Driver (v10.3.0.16) WHQL
    RAIDTOOL Application (v10.3.0.16)
    SMBus Driver (v4.63) WHQL
    Installer 5.70
    GPU Driver (v163.91) WHQL

I still have the problem

Hardware ids in vista and w7 are same
    USBSTOR\DiskGeneric_USB_MS_Reader___1.03
    USBSTOR\DiskGeneric_USB_MS_Reader___
    USBSTOR\DiskGeneric_
    USBSTOR\Generic_USB_MS_Reader___1
    Generic_USB_MS_Reader___1
    USBSTOR\GenDisk
    GenDisk
    Monday, September 28, 2009 4:34 PM
  • You do not need any additional drivers from Nvidia installed to get this working.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-folder-options#section_2

Show removable media drives (such as card readers) in the Computer folder even if they currently don't have media inserted.

Clear the Hide empty drives in the Computer folder check box, and then click OK. (This option doesn’t affect empty floppy disk drives, CD drives, or DVD drives.)

Please follow the instructions there to show removable media drives (such as card readers) in the Computer folder even if they currently don't have media inserted.

Let me know if that resolves the problem of the drives not appearing in my computer.

Can you please send me a lnk to the software you ran that fixed the issue for the external card reader?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:39 AM
  • Mark,

Drives now show in my computer, unfortunately at the moment I have not got a phone card to try (will have one this evening) I'll repost later the results.

Link to Phoenix http://registrywizard.com/?utm_source=esupport.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=consumer+products+link

Thanks

Ken
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:07 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my experience, I suspect that the card reader driver doesn't correctly start the Certificate Propagation service (Certpropsvc). I recommmend you to install the latest version of card reader driver from Microsoft Update Catalog using hardware ID and manually start the Certificate Propagation service. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open a command prompt in elevated privilege.
    2. Run the following command:

net start certpropsvc

3. Connect the card reader to see how it works.

Good luck.
    Dale
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 8:33 AM
  • saabw,
    Those drivers are most likely correct. The internal card readers used by manufacturers can be supplied by a number of vendors. It is connected to the internal usb connector on the motherboard.

If you don't get it working, you'll need to open the case and physically remove it to inspect the labeling for the manufacturer and model number. Then you locate the correct driver.

!!!!This takes some experience and caution, so have someone experienced assist if you are comfortable with this. Perhaps your friend, the IT manager. You must be sure the motherboard has no power and protect against electrostatic discharge.!!!!

Looks like Dale has you on the road to getting working.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 12:34 PM
  • Dale and all contributors,

Things are not going to plan the cardreader now does not work in Vista, though my external one still works with both OS's.

So I opened up the case and there are no marking on the cardreader case (probably made by a famous Chinese back street company)

And as i'ts not working in either system it looks like I'll have to buy a replacement (from a famous brand this time), I'll do that at this weekend.

I tried as administrator in both Vista and Windows command prompt c:\ and c:\user\ and running net start certpropsvc result was "access denied".

I will get back to guys later,

Thanks for help so far, it will be sorted.

regards

Ken
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:13 PM
  • Well my friend collected the pc yesterday evening saying as a company machine they do not use the card reader so will close this thread as not resolved.

My personal pc is in fact the same model, but I do not get w7 until release date and it is the Home Premium so I will wait until then and see if I have the same problem.

Just one last question off topic with the w7 I'll receive from amazon it does not quote 32 or 64 is it true I have choice to install, and if so can I revert back to 32 if I am not happy 64?

regards

Ken
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:15 AM
  • Hi Ken,

Thanks for the updates.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Premium-Upgrade/dp/B002DHLUWK

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium/dp/B002DHGMK0

Both of those links state that Home Premium will come with both a 32-bit and a 64-bit disc.  So yes, you would be able to go back to the 32-bit version if you had issues with 64-bit.

If you do have this issue with the other machine, can you please start a new thread for that discussion?

And can you please "mark as answer" one or more of the posts above that helped you resolve this problem?  That way if other folks are encountering similar issues, they'll be able to jump right to the answer when searching the forum without having to read everything in the thread.

Thanks,
    Mark
    • Marked as answer by saabw Thursday, October 1, 2009 4:39 PM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 6:04 AM
  • Title of the thread seems a whee bit misleading :)

Go into device manager.

View devices by connection.

Find the USB storage device.

Uninstall it, then scan for hardware changes, and then report back on what nodes are visible under the USB storage device.

Can you clarify what model of PC you have please?  I think there might be an extra digit in there.

Thanks,
    Mark

Want to know if your hardware will work on Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Microsoft Logo'd Hardware List **

Holy ____, I frickin love you.  I left my computer off for about 3 days, came back and the USB drivers, ethernet driver, and sound card driver all weren't working.  I was able to get the ethernet driver working (sorta), but no luck on the USB drivers, and didn't really try the sound drivers.  I tried almost everything, from repeatedly re-installing drivers to turning off my computer and unplugging it for minutes at a time.  But when I simply "uninstalled" the drivers from my device manager and just scanned for hardware changes, it worked instantly.

Thanks a lot, man, you saved my life.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 4:39 AM