SMB 1.0 on Win 10 1903 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to enable SMB 1.0 - have all the relevant ticks in Add/Remove features but I get Error 87 when trying to change Computer Browser to the delayed auto-start flag. Can anyone advise - thanks.
    Friday, November 15, 2019 6:17 PM

All replies

• Friday, November 15, 2019 10:03 PM
  • Hello,

Microsoft do not recommend to use SMBv1 as it is deprecated protocol. That is why SMBv1 protocol is not enabled in Windows 10 V1709 or later. May I know the reason you need to enable SMBv1?

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Saturday, November 16, 2019 9:10 AM
  • To move videos on my Humax Foxsat PVR and cancel the HD copy restriction it imposes. The Computer Browser did start on its own accord yesterday and I was able to access the PVR for a while in that 5/8th of the files moved
    Saturday, November 16, 2019 12:59 PM
  • I hope that this PC is not connected to the Internet. SMB1 is a very risky protocol. Remember the WannaCry ransomware fiasco? that was an SMB1 exploit.

Bill

Saturday, November 16, 2019 10:52 PM
  • Point taken - but as the option is there it really IMO it ought to be an easily switched on / switch off option with appropriate warnings that when switched on terminates when the pc is shit down or restarted. PC has now updated to 1909.
    Sunday, November 17, 2019 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful and if your porblem is sovled?

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact 
    tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 5:42 AM
  • Just whitelist SMB1 between the two devices and block it for everything else.
    Monday, November 18, 2019 9:19 PM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful.

If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

Best regards,

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact 
    tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 22, 2019 8:08 AM