none
Cannot see upgrades in windows update

Question

• Updates are invisible, and vannot be picked. can install important since they are automatically chosen but I cannot see them.

Is there a setting that can hide them or have my windows update bugged?
    Friday, September 25, 2009 6:23 AM

Answers

• You are seeing this in Control Panel >Windows Update?

You can change the settings there to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" and this will offer a list when updates become available.

Supposedly turning off automatic updating makes your computer less secure in case there is a critical update which is being sent out, but since MS only sends out updates the second Tuesday of each month, this seems unlikely.
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 6:45 PM
  • Run Windows Update and click Scan updates.

You will see a screen like following:

Click 15 important updates are available, you should see this:

If you cannot see the second screen, please try to take following suggestion to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    2. If you receive a notification from User Account Control simply click Continue.
    3. At the command prompt, type the following, command and then press ENTER.

net stop wuauserv
    ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistributionold
    net start wuauserv

5. Restart the computer to test the problem.

Hope it helps.

Monday, September 28, 2009 4:03 AM

All replies

• Hi, Can you post which W7 you are using. And any more info you can think of, Slan go foill, Paul
    Friday, September 25, 2009 7:00 PM
  • I'm having a hard time understanding you. One thing you can try is to press the WinKey+R and type:

wuauclt /detectnow

You can change the settings by going to Control Panel >Windows Update and then click on "Change Settings" to the right.

Friday, September 25, 2009 7:45 PM
  • sorry was a bit tired when I wrote the question.
    Running win7 rc 64, and its updates thats not showing, says I have 32  optional but cannot see them. Mostly language packs and 1 ati driver  if I remeber correctly.
    Important updates are automatically chosen so they are installed even tho I can't see what they are

I cannot see what updates are available and what it wants to install, just that there is some

Friday, September 25, 2009 10:43 PM
  • You are seeing this in Control Panel >Windows Update?

You can change the settings there to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" and this will offer a list when updates become available.

Supposedly turning off automatic updating makes your computer less secure in case there is a critical update which is being sent out, but since MS only sends out updates the second Tuesday of each month, this seems unlikely.
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 6:45 PM
  • Run Windows Update and click Scan updates.

You will see a screen like following:

Click 15 important updates are available, you should see this:

If you cannot see the second screen, please try to take following suggestion to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    2. If you receive a notification from User Account Control simply click Continue.
    3. At the command prompt, type the following, command and then press ENTER.

net stop wuauserv
    ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistributionold
    net start wuauserv

5. Restart the computer to test the problem.

Hope it helps.

Monday, September 28, 2009 4:03 AM