none
Internet Explorer 8 in Windows 7 hanging / pausing

Question

• Hi,

Whenever I open IE8 (start page is set to "blank"), IE8 hangs for up to 10 seconds, even saying "not responding", before it starts the normal process. If I open a new tab by clicking on a link, it also hangs the whole IE8 and I can't navigate between the flags or windows I have open in IE8. Everything else seems to work fine... Any ideas for a way to fix this?

The computer is a Lenovo ThinkPad X200 Tablet 7450 ERG, running Windows 7 Ultimate (RTM).

Regards,
    OA
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:13 PM

Answers

• Hi olalbu,

You can try the following suggestions to troubleshoot this issue:

Start Internet Explorer 8 (IE 8) with No Add-ons mode

=========

To do this, Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

Note: If the issue does not occur after you use this method, use the Manage Add-ons option in the Tools menu to determine which add-ons are causing the issue.

Reset Internet Explorer 8

=========

Note: the following steps will remove all of installed add-ons and reset IE to default settings. We need to reinstall the add-ons after resetting.

1. Click "Start", type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) into “Search” bar and press "Enter" to open the “Internet Options” window.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab.

3. Click "Reset…" to reset Internet Explorer settings.

4. Check "Delete personal settings" box and click "Reset" to confirm the operation.

5. Click "Close" when the resetting process is complete.

6. Close the Internet Explorer window and restart IE to check the issue.

For more information about how to troubleshoot the Internet Explorer 8 issue, please refer to the following article:

You cannot view, access, or load some Web pages when you use Internet Explorer 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967897

Test in Clean Boot mode

=========

Please see if the issue occurs in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also, please scan the system with anti-virus and anti-spyware software to see if the issue is caused by virus and spyware infection.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by olalbu Monday, October 26, 2009 7:41 PM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:15 AM

All replies

• Hi olalbu,

You can try the following suggestions to troubleshoot this issue:

Start Internet Explorer 8 (IE 8) with No Add-ons mode

=========

To do this, Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

Note: If the issue does not occur after you use this method, use the Manage Add-ons option in the Tools menu to determine which add-ons are causing the issue.

Reset Internet Explorer 8

=========

Note: the following steps will remove all of installed add-ons and reset IE to default settings. We need to reinstall the add-ons after resetting.

1. Click "Start", type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) into “Search” bar and press "Enter" to open the “Internet Options” window.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab.

3. Click "Reset…" to reset Internet Explorer settings.

4. Check "Delete personal settings" box and click "Reset" to confirm the operation.

5. Click "Close" when the resetting process is complete.

6. Close the Internet Explorer window and restart IE to check the issue.

For more information about how to troubleshoot the Internet Explorer 8 issue, please refer to the following article:

You cannot view, access, or load some Web pages when you use Internet Explorer 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967897

Test in Clean Boot mode

=========

Please see if the issue occurs in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also, please scan the system with anti-virus and anti-spyware software to see if the issue is caused by virus and spyware infection.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by olalbu Monday, October 26, 2009 7:41 PM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:15 AM
  • Perfect. It was the Java add on that hanged IE8 completly every time I opened a new window or tab.

Regards,
    OA
    Monday, October 26, 2009 7:42 PM
  • I AM EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM WHICH IS ANNOYING.
    I DISABLED JAVA PLUG IN SSV 2 HELPER.WE WILL SEE THE RESULT
    Friday, October 30, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Try Linda's recipe. I guess others have not had problems with the Java plug in, since it is avilable (it must be good for something since it comes from trusted company), but other might have had problems with other plug ins - so to avoid disabling wrong plugins, I guess Linda's steps is a better approach towards identifying the problem.

Regards,
    OA
    Friday, October 30, 2009 10:41 PM
  • IT IS THE JAVA ADD ON FOR SURE.I ENABLED AND DISABLED THIS ADD ON SEVERAL TIMES AND CONFIRMED THIS ASSERTION.
    THANK YOU ANYWAY.THE LINDA METHOD IS FASTIDIOUS...

Saturday, October 31, 2009 7:56 PM
  • Yep, i had the same problem.... Cheers guys!
    • Proposed as answer by mct1964 Friday, November 27, 2009 6:55 AM
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Looks like it is (for me anyway) the "Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper" add-on specifically. Version:  6.0.170.4

Couldn't launch a link from an existing page and launching a new tab took minutes. I disabled it and things returned to normal...

I went to the Java site and ran the test to see if "Java is working on my machine". It installed the "Deployment Toolkit, Version: 6.0.170.4", and ran the applet to show java working. Other functionality still working too (new tab, launch link, etc.). Don't know what the difference is between the two packages, but I'm working again with Java enabled.

Regards,

Mark

Friday, November 27, 2009 7:04 AM
  • Something that might help clarify some things...

The Java Add-on is a runtime environment for supporting the execution of compiled Java applications.

By contrast Internet Explorer comes with the ability to run Javascript (Microsoft calls it JScript) which is a similar language with a confusingly similar sounding name, but is actually different.  Think of it as a distant cousin, invented by someone different, and which does something different.

While some specific applications from some web sites might not run without the Java Add-on, most web pages will run fine without it as they use Javascript/JScript. 

You can, of course, set restrictions using your Internet Explorer security settings - and/or by disabling the Java Add-on.

For those who might want to learn more, there are some interesting comparisons online, as well as discussions of security:

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/javascript/article.php/3470971
    http://www.cs.princeton.edu/sip/java-vs-activex.html

-Noel
    Friday, November 27, 2009 3:14 PM
  • hello friends ,
     I am using Windows 7 Ultimate . As soon as I  connect to broadband it gets hang. I have tried every option stated above .. but still the hanging problem persists . plz help me out . the problem of hanging on starting internet is very much annoying ..
    Regards,
    Dr.Rushikesh
    Monday, November 30, 2009 12:24 PM
  • I know you eventually got this solved, but for anyone else who's been having this problem with IE8 and Vista, another fix is to simply roll back to IE7.  That's what I did and it seems to have worked.  Best luck!
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 2:12 AM
  • I am curious. Would this problem affect a computer even if the browser is not open? This sounds like the same problem I am having. 
    It happens during my gaming sessions as well as when I open a browser window. And it only started happening after upgrading to Windows 7.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 11:01 PM
  • I read a lot of people on another forum who claim they have identified the culprit as the Java Helper Add On. Once disabled, all is supposed to be well. I've taken these steps and will see if it resolves the problem.

For all the people screaming about Microsoft, the add on is a product of Sun. Perhaps you should scream at them. Personally, having worked with many different OS's and vendors, I consider Microsoft to above par - despite Vista. Trying getting IBM to even respond to a problem! rofl

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:13 AM