none
How do I stop Windows 7 from rearranging my desktop after updates requiring reboots? RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I receive an update from Microsoft (MS) my computer reboots. That's okay. But, MS rearranges all the icons on my desktop! It takes forever to get them back where I NEED them because of class project reqirements to save projects on the desktop for qiuick access. The computer is mine, not MS's; I paid for the software when I bought the computer, it was installed by ASUS; as I see it, MS has no business rearranging the way I have my desktop. I WANT THEM TO STOP IT!
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please right click on your desktop and click “View”, uncheck “Auto arrange icons”.

Does it
    prevent from rearranging your desktop icon after update?

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 30, 2012 8:53 AM

All replies

• You can always turn updates off. There will be no rearrangements or updates.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me
    Friday, January 27, 2012 8:09 AM
  • Hi,

Please right click on your desktop and click “View”, uncheck “Auto arrange icons”.

Does it
    prevent from rearranging your desktop icon after update?

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 30, 2012 8:53 AM
  • I'm having the same problem except it also happens every time i reboot. Auto arrange icons is unchecked.
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Try right-clicking anywhere in the blank space on your desktop and from the menu that appears mouse over “View”, uncheck “Auto arrange icons”. If that doesn't stop it from messing up your icon arrangement the next thing is to make it so you don't care if it happens or not because the same way it can mess things up in an instant you can put them right back in an instant.

Myself I have found success with to different programs...

UltraMon and Restore Desktop.

UtraMon which is for controlling your desktop when you have multiple monitors. It has a checkbox setting under "Desktop Icons" and two options "Save Now" and " Restore Now." You get your desktop just how you like it and hit the save now and then if Windows ever jumbles your icons you hit the restore now and poof everything jumps right back to how it was a second ago and stays put. Every time your icons move you can now move them back exactly the way you like in less than 5 seconds. If you want to change things around yourself just make the any changes you want and hit the "save now" again and it will remember your new icon layout and jump back to that new arrangement going forward when you hit "restore now."

The other I have not used in a while (once you go multi-monitor you don't go back :D) but it was free IIRC and only served the one purpose you are seeking was called Restore Desktop. It worked the same but instead of having to open a separate app like UltaMon it just added two options to the right click menu "Save Desktop" and "Restore Desktop" once you've got everything set the way you like right click anywhere that is not an icon on your desktop and save and anytime things get jumbled you can right click the desktop and choose restore and everything magically jumps back to the way you want it again.

Cheers!

Christopher

Saturday, December 27, 2014 2:51 AM