none
Bugcheck (BSOD) in dne2000.sys (Deterministic Networks Enhancer driver - part of Cisco VPN client)

Question

• Hi
    After installing SP1, I occasionally hit a bugcheck (BSOD) when I use the Cisco VPN client to connect to the office VPN.
    Debugging the memory dump pointed to dne2000.sys, a driver supplied by Deterministic Networks as part of the Cisco VPN client.
    I suspect that I hit the BSOD only when
    1. I'm connected to the VPN via the Cisco VPN client
    2. The computer goes to sleep

A search for dne2000.sys turned up quite a few hits for BSOD on XP, but is this a recent problem with the driver that's unmasked by SP1? The version of dne2000.sys that I'm using was released in January 2007.

Any workarounds or updates from Cisco?

Thanks
    Monday, March 31, 2008 5:10 PM

All replies

• I also get the bugcheck with dne2000.sys as the source only mine is triggered when waking the computer from sleep.  Vista Ultimate SP1.
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 2:24 PM
  • Try the latest DNE software from this page:
    http://www.deterministicnetworks.com/support/dnesupport.asp

It might help (I have not tried it yet).
    Friday, May 02, 2008 10:36 PM
  • This Fix worked for me, thank you very much for the link.  I am running Vista Business and every time I put the laptop to sleep it would Blue Screen immediately on wakeup.  The BSOD's are now gone

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:45 PM
  • >  Debugging the memory dump pointed to dne2000.sys, a driver supplied by Deterministic Networks as part of the Cisco VPN client.

OK - a newbee question - How do I debug the memory dump?

I have googled, and I find information on debugging the small memory dump.  My dump is 1GB --  Is that a small dump?

I keep getting BSOD's when using Cisco VPN Client 4.0.5.d    I am not sure if this is a specific client for my company or not.

I followed the links to Determinstics Networks, and followed the instructions.

My original dne2000.sys was version 2.21.7.233   --- I am now at  3.21.12.17902  and it has made no difference.

Most times I can reboot the computer and I am good to go, but sometime the crash kills my ability to get ANY network connection ( wired or wireless ), and I can not perform a clean shutdown after this problem.  I hold the poweroff button for 10+ seconds to power down.

To recover I execute the following netsh commands ( Thanks to my buddy Mike M. who found them for me. )

netsh winsock reset catalog
    netsh int ip reset netshresetlog.txt

I then reboot, I have networking again, but VPN is hosed.  I have to reinstall the VPN client before I am fullu working again.

One more piece of information -- I am using a Dell Latitude D810  

Wired NIC: 

Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Driver: b57xp31.sys

Version 7.86.0.0   by WinDDK

Wireless NIC:

Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection 

Hardware version 2.1.3

Driver w29n51.sys  Version 9.0.4.17

Friday, October 31, 2008 3:23 PM
  •  Joe Bonifazi wrote:

>  Debugging the memory dump pointed to dne2000.sys, a driver supplied by Deterministic Networks as part of the Cisco VPN client.

OK - a newbee question - How do I debug the memory dump?

https://sites.google.com/site/dump3roses/setting-up-windbg-1

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:44 PM
  •  Hello,
    Thank you for reporting this issue.

Can you file a bug using http://connect.microsoft.com/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=2730&SiteID=749&InvitationID=CPP-G93D-QDHH and post back the feedback ID? Please upload the logs and dumps using the tool provided on the above link.

We will take a look at the dump and get back to you.

Thanks,
    Kalpesh[MSFT]

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 7:47 PM