We can't apply CRITICAL updates to Windows 8? RRS feed

• Question

• What kind of nutty operating system is this? We can't apply critical updates like Flash until months after they are released because Microsoft won't let us? 

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-puts-windows-8-users-at-risk-with-missing-flash-update-7000003834/

The “GA timeframe” is October 26, which is more than two months after Adobe released these critical security updates.

Are Krusty, Bozo and Klutzy the clown running the show at Microsoft or is it Curly, Moe, and Shemp? How the hell do we install updates to Windows 8 so we are not exposed to massive risks AS SOON AS THE PATCH IS RELEASED BY THE VENDOR? This is UNACCEPTABLE to wait months after critical updates are released!!! UNACCEPTABLE!

Does anyone know how to patch IE...or is the only solution to cripple Flash support on it or move to another browser? Windows 8 is just looking more and more sucky all the time. What a disaster.

• Edited by SAS71 Sunday, September 9, 2012 4:13 PM
    Sunday, September 9, 2012 4:08 PM

Answers

• Yes.  This is a known issue.  It has benefits, but also the risk that updates will not be delivered in a timely fashion by Microsoft.  You can read the MS blogs to see the justifications of this decision, and only hope that all future flash updates will be rolled out in a timely fashion by MS.

P.S.  You use IE?  why would you do something so horrible?

I can't WAIT to read the MS Blogs and find the "justification" for this.

My big question at the moment is, since Microsoft has converted all of their internal computers to Windows 8...how are they handling this issue? Are they a> Disabling Flash in IE and crippling the browsing experience for their users; b> using an alternative browser like Chrome to make things work right; or c> deploying patches that are not available to anyone else?

So...right now...is Steve Ballmer's IE vulnerable? That's what I want to know. If not, then it's a complete slap in the face to all of us.

Well, it is MS internal, so they're probably rolling in some code that the public can't access.  After all, before GA, we're all just "beta testers."  Yes, we are allowed to deploy Win8 RTM in a production environment, but for evaluation and testing purposes only.  Until October, you don't have full MS support for windows 8.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:28 AM
    Sunday, September 9, 2012 10:01 PM

All replies

• Yes.  This is a known issue.  It has benefits, but also the risk that updates will not be delivered in a timely fashion by Microsoft.  You can read the MS blogs to see the justifications of this decision, and only hope that all future flash updates will be rolled out in a timely fashion by MS.

Sunday, September 9, 2012 4:23 PM

My big question at the moment is, since Microsoft has converted all of their internal computers to Windows 8...how are they handling this issue? Are they a> Disabling Flash in IE and crippling the browsing experience for their users; b> using an alternative browser like Chrome to make things work right; or c> deploying patches that are not available to anyone else?

So...right now...is Steve Ballmer's IE vulnerable? That's what I want to know. If not, then it's a complete slap in the face to all of us.

Sunday, September 9, 2012 6:09 PM

Well, it is MS internal, so they're probably rolling in some code that the public can't access.  After all, before GA, we're all just "beta testers."  Yes, we are allowed to deploy Win8 RTM in a production environment, but for evaluation and testing purposes only.  Until October, you don't have full MS support for windows 8.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:28 AM
    Sunday, September 9, 2012 10:01 PM