none
Restore a Windows 7 image backup to a larger disk

Question

• I made an image backup on DVD when I bought my notebook and after installing Windows 7 and some basic software like Office.
    Now I want to replace the hard disk (320GB) with a new one (1TB) and start freshly from my DVD backup.
    I woud like to do the initial restore from DVD to an external SATA drive and only after a successful restore install the new disk in my notebook.

1- Is the restore possible at all?
    2- Will the new drive boot?
    3- If I have to re-install from the Windows 7 distribution DVD, can I install to the eSATA drive and boot from there?
    4- Will the drive still boot when I install it in my notebook?

Thanks,

Rien Timmer

Monday, April 16, 2012 2:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

-The restore is possible if you made a complete system backup.

-The new drive should be made bootable during the restore program.

-Since eSATA disks will be seen by hardware as an internal disk, you can install Windows on this disk as well. However please note; when multiple disks are connected to a machine, the disk with the lowest index value (this will probably not be the eSATA disk, unless it's the only connected disk) will be used to host the bootmanager, and therefore becomes the actual "boot disk", if you were to remove this disk. The pc would start and give you a message there's no operating system installed, you would need to boot into the Windows setup dvd and run the startup repair wizard to add the boot files to the disk.

4-If you install the 320GB disk containing Windows 7 into your notebook, you might be able to boot from it; this will all depend on the drivers required for the laptop and those that are already present in the Windows installation on the disk. However, you will no longer comply to the licensing terms, since you would be running two installations using the same product key on different hardware.

Kind regards,

Stephan

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCC.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:23 AM

All replies

• This topic is pretty broad one. You can go and dig into pile of material in Technet or follow simple procedures like

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1838/using-backup-and-restore-in-windows-7/

Some vendors pack Acronis DVD with SSD disc (Kingston HyperX). You start computer from this DVD and do both, backup and restore. Pretty fast and simple procedure. Symantec Ghost is another alternative.

I recommend you to test all procedures in system that does not carry relevant data first.

Regards

Milos

Monday, April 16, 2012 8:48 PM
  • Hi,

-The restore is possible if you made a complete system backup.

-The new drive should be made bootable during the restore program.

-Since eSATA disks will be seen by hardware as an internal disk, you can install Windows on this disk as well. However please note; when multiple disks are connected to a machine, the disk with the lowest index value (this will probably not be the eSATA disk, unless it's the only connected disk) will be used to host the bootmanager, and therefore becomes the actual "boot disk", if you were to remove this disk. The pc would start and give you a message there's no operating system installed, you would need to boot into the Windows setup dvd and run the startup repair wizard to add the boot files to the disk.

4-If you install the 320GB disk containing Windows 7 into your notebook, you might be able to boot from it; this will all depend on the drivers required for the laptop and those that are already present in the Windows installation on the disk. However, you will no longer comply to the licensing terms, since you would be running two installations using the same product key on different hardware.

Kind regards,

Stephan

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCC.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:23 AM