none
Feature Upgrade Windows 10 1909 issues (from 1803 to 1909) RRS feed

• Question

• So far I have been seeing weird behavior;

• Upgrading takes 5-6 hours (HDD, not SSD). Upgrading to 1909 takes the longest time I ever seen. I have been doing this from 2015 and hardware is almost the same. With HDD it takes 5-6 hours, with SDD it took 3 hours. Quite simple setup, Office, view other Small apps, nothing fancy. No multiple profiles.
    • There is a language mix as result of upgrading to 1909. We use EN-US image without LPs, only regions are set toi Finnish (location, time format). During every restart of 1909 I see, that half of Service and text is in finnish and half is in English. Which shouldn't suppose to be in finnish, is now visual services and large informative text during restart and startup process. I can record a video how the startup looks for me now, so you will see the mess for yourself. My collegue also has the same problem in different enviroment.

MCSE Mobility 2018. Expert on SCCM, Windows 10, ALOVPN, MBAM.

Monday, November 25, 2019 6:10 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I would recommend you to submit your experience via Feedback hub app (Windows key + F), so that it gets to right channel and corresponding engineering team will fix this.

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Monday, November 25, 2019 7:06 AM
  • We can't use Feedback hub because of telemetry most Limited level.

Monday, November 25, 2019 7:23 AM
  • Hi

>> “Upgrading takes 5-6 hours (HDD, not SSD). Upgrading to 1909 takes the longest time I ever seen.”

Upgrading from 1803 to 1909 does take some time, it is recommended that you upgrade when you are free. See the Microsoft article: Feature Update via Windows 10, version 1909 Enablement Package

For your second issue, we will help you to feedback this problem.

Hope can help you. Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Kiki

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:28 AM

• For your second issue, we will help you to feedback this problem.

Awsome, thanks. If you need, I could record a video about restarting 1909 build with this language mess if it helps you.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

You are welcome. I have submitted this feedback. Let's looking forward to the result.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Kiki

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 1:56 AM
  • A 256GB SSD replacement is less than $50 in most cases.  It makes more sense to abandon old slow useless technology and replace with modern fast hardware.   

Windows itself costs more than the SSD

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 2:03 AM
  • A 256GB SSD replacement is less than $50 in most cases.  It makes more sense to abandon old slow useless technology and replace with modern fast hardware.   

Windows itself costs more than the SSD

"with SDD it took 3 hours" .. you saw this?

Are you telling it is NORMAL to wait 6-7 hours with HDD? Gimme a break… :D

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 6:34 AM
  • Exactly, 

I too having Windows Update problems but mine was not Upgrade build. 

Just a Cumulative Updates. 

And it takes me 7 hours to wait! It is crazy!

I've got 4 machines to run down the updates. One by one not simultaneously. 

Just imagine 7 Hours with 4 Machines. 28 Hours. And it takes me more than 24 Hours of work done at my end. 

I too have submitted the matter to Feedback Hub.

So far nothing was noted!

• Edited by mrdbeta Wednesday, November 27, 2019 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2019 7:10 AM
  • Sadly I am.  It can depend on the full-ness of the spinner.  If the Windows OS itself has to install new portions near the end of the drive sectors, Windows itself will ultimately be burdened by slowness indefinitely.  New directories on an already overloaded spinner will cause severe MFT fragmentation which further slows performance.  A full wipe eliminates this problem for a time.

Saturday, December 7, 2019 9:43 PM
    • There is a language mix as result of upgrading to 1909. We use EN-US image without LPs, only regions are set toi Finnish (location, time format). During every restart of 1909 I see, that half of Service and text is in finnish and half is in English. Which shouldn't suppose to be in finnish, is now visual services and large informative text during restart and startup process. I can record a video how the startup looks for me now, so you will see the mess for yourself. My collegue also has the same problem in different enviroment.

Regarding this language issue. Same here and I have not found a solution.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help.

Sunday, December 8, 2019 1:28 PM
  • Get the Windows 10 November 2019 Update

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028685/windows-10-get-the-update

Ana Gauna | www.anagauna.eti.br | If I helped you, mark the answer as useful

Sunday, December 8, 2019 1:58 PM

Since the "core" is the same as 1903 - what problems it will solve?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help.

Sunday, December 8, 2019 2:29 PM

I used this link to update windows on my computer and my notebook, no problem, everything worked perfectly.

Monday, December 9, 2019 2:22 PM

I used this link to update windows on my computer and my notebook, no problem, everything worked perfectly.

Sorry.. Your "wild guess" seems totally unrelated regarding actual problem. Besides that, maybe it helps somehow a home user, but we have managed environment and all updates came from WSUS.

Monday, December 9, 2019 2:28 PM
  • On my old notebook that only has 4gb of RAM and 1tb of hard disk this windows update took almost 2 hours to complete and the machine was restarted several times in this installation.

Monday, December 9, 2019 2:54 PM
  • Ana, quit spamming useless hints here, otherwise I will report you in. You are ruin my thread!

Monday, December 9, 2019 3:28 PM
  • Ana, quit spamming useless hints here, otherwise I will report you in. You are ruin my thread!

This is where people write the problem they found on something that has something to do with Windows.

You wrote above saying that you had trouble updating your version of Windows 10. Well, I told you that the link I showed worked perfectly fine, I upgraded both computers, and it took almost 2 hours to complete everything , and it worked perfectly with me. And always after I get major Windows updates I use CCLEANER to clean up temporary files, I do this so my switches don't slow down. I have been a Windows technician since the time of Windows 95.

Monday, December 9, 2019 4:37 PM
  • Hi,

You are welcome. I have submitted this feedback. Let's looking forward to the result.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Kiki

Any news? I am not the only one seeing this behavior in 1909.

Monday, December 16, 2019 12:11 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry to tell you that we haven't got relevant feedback information at present, if there is a response, we will contact you as soon as possible.

Have a nice day!

Kiki

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 8:11 AM
  • Does any work at Microsoft anymore? For my next laptop I am going to look at an alternate machine that I can boot up. One that uses Linux or a better options. I still have to work on .NET since I'm  an App Developer supporting that. I should probably find an alternative to MS Code for Angular, Node, Express and React.  I can't worry about a sound operating system that is bloated with useless software and is unable to update on most machines. 
    Sunday, January 12, 2020 12:27 AM