none
Automatically Pin Items to Windows 7 Taskbar for all users

Question

• Hello,

A little background.

I'm using wim and we're using image x to deploy our images. I create and capture the base image first and then sysprep the image and capture that.

What I need to do is delete default taskbar icons. For example windows 7 pins IE, Explorer and Media player icon. I need to add just IE, Outlook 2007, Word 2007 and Excel 2007 icons. Now I read a 100 different posts on how do this with a vbscript but I'm just starting to get into this whole imaging thing and not a professional which is why I'm asking this question and I didn't understand some of it and when some of the information was posted years and no one replies on those posts so I figured I start my own fresh tread. If you can please help with some basic information, Please let me know how I can implement this solution.

Thanks

Friday, May 17, 2013 6:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The script could help you know more information about it.

[SOLVED] How to Pin to Start Menu/Task Bar for Default User

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/73eb1c0a-fc78-4ae7-ba6d-356d9a9a5328

Also, I would like to explained that Pinned items information were stored in the following locations: 

File System: 
    %APPDATA%\\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Registry:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband]

We can try the steps below to deploy pinned items by Group Policy:

1. Configure Pinned items on one Windows 7 system. 
    2. Export Reigstry Key to pinned.reg file: 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband]

And copy items in the "%APPDATA%\\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar" to a shared folder. 

3. Create a GPO to import pinned.reg on client machines and copy shared shortcut files to client machines.

Thanks. 

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:18 AM