none
SCSI card not identified in Virtual XP

Question

• Win 7 64 bit Device Manager sees my Adaptec AHA-2930CU SCSI card under Other Devices as a SCSI Controller. I am aware that here is no 64 bit driver for this. However, a 32 bit driver is embedded in "real" XP 32 bit. When I look in Device Manager in Virtual XP 32 bit in Win 7 Pro, it is not identified and only Virtual PC Integration Devices are listed under Other Devices (don't know what these are!). I cannot download an XP driver because it is only embedded in XP and not separately available as far as I can see. The SCSI card is needed to drive a film scanner. Trying Control Panel/New Hardware in Virtual XP allows me to specify SCSI Controllers ok, but there are only 2 Adaptec drivers listed, neither of which is correct and neither of which picks up the SCSI card correctly. Ideas please?
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:45 PM

Answers

• The PCI bus isn't pass through to the virtual machine, so your XP
    cannot see the SCSI card and SCSI isn't one of the emulated of passed
    through devices.  There's just no way to do that.

Your only bets are to get a USB SCSI adapter, (rare and they didn't
    work very well), or using iSCSI (needs more software)

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:50 PM

All replies

• The PCI bus isn't pass through to the virtual machine, so your XP
    cannot see the SCSI card and SCSI isn't one of the emulated of passed
    through devices.  There's just no way to do that.

Your only bets are to get a USB SCSI adapter, (rare and they didn't
    work very well), or using iSCSI (needs more software)

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:50 PM
  • Thanks for that! I have tried a USB adapter and it didnt work. I am nervous about getting a new SCSI card in case that doesn't work. One option is to create a dual boot partition on the PC with "real" XP. Without my holding you to it, which route would you use?
    Bob
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:58 PM
  • I'd probably dual boot XP as you suggest, though VMWare Workstation
    might be able to pass through the SCSI, I haven't tried it with that
    type of hardware.  It'd be worth a try.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:42 AM
  • The use of XP-only software on a Windows 7 machine was one of the reasons Virtual XP was touted, wasn't it?  Yet something as common and basic as SCSI support isn't there.  Explain why I shouldn't feel cheated by Microsoft yet again.
    Friday, April 22, 2011 11:53 AM
  • SCSI is not "common" anymore. 

XP Mode is provided for running legacy business software.  It does not do a whole lot for scientific and other applications requiring legacy or specialized hardware.  I don't know of anybody's virtualization software that does generally, the need for emulation of the PCI bus being the problem.

I am reiminded of many threads in the old VPC/VS newsgroup about six years ago.  One of the first group of users who were frustrated by the legacy hardware problem were folks using Singer Sewing software which only worked in Windows 95 (Singer didn't update it).  It required hardware to control a sewing machine in order to do preprogrammed patterns.  They had purchased new computers running XP and thought they would just emulate Win95 and keep on sewing.  There was no way to link the card to a vm running Win 95.

Do not dual boot XP and later versions of Windows without hiding the later version from XP.  XP's VSS driver destroys Vista and Windows 7 VSS files when XP boots up.  It is a design choice Microsoft made during Vista development.  In order to implement new features in VSS Microsoft chose to leave Vista and 7 VSS files incompatible with XP.  XP's volsnap.sys deletes all VSS files incompatible with XP's VSS format in order to protect the user from trying to restore "corrupted" files.  This includes all files which rely on Vista or 7's volsnap.sys for snapshots.  This is such files as Backup and Restore, Restore Points, Previous Versions, and others, including third party software that leverages volsnap.sys.

The solution is to hide Vista and 7 volumes from XP entirely.  Microsoft has provided instructions for creating a registry key for doing this.  A key is needed for each volume being protected.  This is not a Windows 7 bug, it is an XP incompatibility and only the XP registry is modified.  The title only mentions restore points but trust me all VSS files are affected.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185/en-us

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Friday, April 22, 2011 2:56 PM
  • No VM program can directly access the PC's hardware.  It's not how Windows drivers work.  there is no solution that allows you direct access to the PCI bus. 

So it looks like VMWare, Sun and Parallels have also cheated you.

Monday, April 25, 2011 5:07 PM