none
Windows 7 doesn't detect my Canon MX850

Question

• Hi all,

I have a Canon MX850 printer connected to the network. Unlike other reports in this forum, Windows 7 doesn't detect my printer at all.

I can ping the printer and access it's network configuration page so network connectivit is not the issue (I even disabled the windows firewall, just in case).

Any clues where to go next?

Thanks,
    S.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:59 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Can the printer work fine on other machine on the network?

At this stage, you can refer to the following steps for a test.

1. Plug the printer to the Windows 7 machine directly and install the proper driver. For your reference, I have enclosed the latest driver for Windows 7 below:

Canon MX850 driver

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Is the printer working fine on the Windows 7 machine? If not, please let me know. Otherwise, you can put the printer back and connect it via network again.

2. If the printer still cannot be detected via network, I suggest you remove the original printer on the computer and recreate a new network printer icon.

For more information to access a network printer, please refer to the link below:

File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:45 AM
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:32 AM

All replies

• As far as I know Windows 7 doesn't automatically detect any printers; you must go to the Devices and Printers panel, then select Add a printer and proceed from there.  This is essentially the same procdure as it has been with previous versions of Windows.

If your printer model is not listed the first time you do this you then click on Windows update after selecting how your printer is connected (Add a local printerCreate a new port, then enter IP address of printer) and wait for Win 7 to download additional printer information.  I had to do this when installing my printers so I now have the entire list and your Canon MX850 is listed.

Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:06 PM
  •  

Hi,

Can the printer work fine on other machine on the network?

At this stage, you can refer to the following steps for a test.

1. Plug the printer to the Windows 7 machine directly and install the proper driver. For your reference, I have enclosed the latest driver for Windows 7 below:

Canon MX850 driver

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Is the printer working fine on the Windows 7 machine? If not, please let me know. Otherwise, you can put the printer back and connect it via network again.

2. If the printer still cannot be detected via network, I suggest you remove the original printer on the computer and recreate a new network printer icon.

For more information to access a network printer, please refer to the link below:

File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:45 AM
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:32 AM
  • I had the same problem as you did. The MX850 printer I had was an earlier production model and had the old firmware ver 1.0. After upgrading the firmware of the printer to 1.03, and restarting both the printer and my Windows 7 PC I was able to detect the printer on the network. Canon USA provides the firmware upgrade utility on their website, just go there and follow the instructions.

Mike
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 4:15 AM
  • Mikelhlin,

I have the latest firmware (1.03) from Canon on my MX850 and I wasn't able to detect the printer as you did above.  Are there other steps involved?

* my printer is online at 192.168.1.215, I can ping the printer and navigate to \\192.168.1.215
      * I have installed the latest Canon drivers on my Winodws 7 PC
      * from the Devices and Printers view I selected "Add a printer"
      * I select "Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer"
      * it searches for a while and can't find any printers

If you have any other steps can you please list them.  I would love to get this printer working from my other machines via the network.

Thanks!

Thursday, December 24, 2009 10:05 AM
  • I solve my problem.

These steps worked for me, your network may be different.

1) Put the printer on your network
    Install the printer on the network at a predictable address.  I used MAC filtering on my router and reserved the address 192.168.1.215 for my printer.

2) Install the local printer drivers
    Install the latest Canon printer driver.  From Windows 7 I use the "Add a printer" option from the "Devices and Printers" view.  The key was to use the "Add a local printer" option.  Previously, I was using the option to add a network printer...which did not work.  After selecting "Add a local printer" use the default option "Use an existing port" (LPT1: Printer Port).  Then you can select "Canon" and choose the "Canon MX850 series Printer".  If you don't see this printer, select the "Windows Update" button and after a short while it will add a bunch of new printer options including the one you need.

3) Install the network printer drivers
    Now that you have your local "Canon MX850 series printer" installed you need to switch it's port to use the network port.  To do this you need to add the network printer drivers from Canon.  You can get them here:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=334&modelid=16279

Select your OS first and then you will see the "Software" section.  Then choose the "IJ Network Driver Ver. 2.5.5 / Network Tool" from the "Software" section on the page.  Run the software and let it find the printer and scan the network.  It will eventually fail and say that it "Can't create a port" but go ahead and let it fail and quit.  At this point you should have the network port for the Canon printer installed on your machine.

4) Change the port from LPT1: to CNBJNP_:
    Open the "Devices and Printers" view (to do this go to the Start Menu and type "Printers", you will see it as the first option in the Start Menu search results).  You should see the "Canon MX850 series Printer" in the "Printers and Faxes" section.  Open the "Canon MX850 series Printer".  Now you should see a nice Device Stage view of your printer.  On the Printer Management link you should see an option for "Display Printer Properties".  Select it.  From the Printer Properties page, select the Ports tab.  You should see your "Canon MX850 series Printer" associated with the LPT1: port (or possible a virtual USB port if you installed the printer first with the USB cable attached).  Select the "Add Port..." option.  In the Available Ports lists you should see "Canon BJNP Port".  Double click on it.  On th Add Port dialog type the IP address you used on your local network for the printer (from step 1 above).  Select Next.  It should find your printer and then let you add the port.  When you get back to the Printer Properties select the Apply option.

That should do it.  Your Canon MX850 series Printer should now be associated with the CNBJNP_... port for printing over the network.

I hope this helps someone else with the same issue.
    • Proposed as answer by Alan Morris Friday, January 01, 2010 6:45 AM
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 8:14 PM
  • FunkyMedina - THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH. I have been searching on and off for a few months after installing Windows 7 with no luck getting my MX850 set up. Your steps are clear and following them set up my printer perfectly. You are awesome!
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:46 PM
  • Thank you for the information on setting up the printer.

Now.

Has anyone been able to get the scanner function to work?

Chris

Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:17 AM
  • FunkyMedina- Thank you! Worked like a charm, and sufficiently non-intuitive I am not sure I would have figured it out on my own.
    Monday, January 04, 2010 3:46 PM
  • I have a similar problem, although I can print fine on the network now, I can't fax.

I used to be able to print documents direct to the fax saving paper (I didn't have to print it out to send) but now it can't find the fax.

Running Win7 Ultimate 64bit, MX850 on network.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Rick
    Monday, February 08, 2010 11:39 AM
  • FunkyMedina, you are a legend. Thank you. Worked by following your clear instructions exactly. I have been wrestling with this for ages.
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 11:31 AM