none
Outlook clients suddenly lose public folder connection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have an small Exchange 2016 CU10 onprem installation on Server 2016. Only around 50 users and just one mailbox database.
    Some clients lose public folder connection about once a day and the users cannot open any public folder. If you try to open a public folder a warning open: This folder group cannot be opened. Microsoft Exchange is busy. Please contact the Exchange administrator if this message is still present after 30 minutes. (sorry, translated to englisch)

In the connection status window, the public folder connection is missing completely. Al other functions and connections to Exchange are functional and present.

After a restart of Outlook, the public folder connection is present.

This happens on Windows 7, Windows 10 with Office 2016 32bit, fully patched. Outlook only in online mode. Publicfolder default mailbox is set by Powershell for all users.

Anyone a solution or a clue what to look at?

Thursday, February 7, 2019 1:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What happen when you see public folders in OWA when this issue happen?

Check RPC client access logs under logging folder in exchange installation folder

Default path:- C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange server\v15\logging\RPC client access

Do you see any error message in event viewer?

Thanks, Ashish (I can be wrong but can't be rude) “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” MCITP, MCT, MCSE. Please remember to vote and mark the replies as answers if they help.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 6:15 PM
  • Hi

I have an small Exchange 2016 CU10 onprem installation on Server 2016. Only around 50 users and just one mailbox database.
    Some clients lose public folder connection about once a day and the users cannot open any public folder. If you try to open a public folder a warning open: This folder group cannot be opened. Microsoft Exchange is busy. Please contact the Exchange administrator if this message is still present after 30 minutes. (sorry, translated to englisch)

In the connection status window, the public folder connection is missing completely. Al other functions and connections to Exchange are functional and present.

This happens on Windows 7, Windows 10 with Office 2016 32bit, fully patched. Outlook only in online mode. Publicfolder default mailbox is set by Powershell for all users.

Use Cache mode in Outlook. Outlook 2016 and Modern PFs arent the best of friends. I would recommend caching Public Folders as favorites as well. 
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 9:31 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried recreating the Outlook mail profile for these affected users? If not, you may have a try with it and see whether the issue continues in the new profile. Go to Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles, click Add to create a new profile.

Besides, you may try iisreset to see whether it helps.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 8, 2019 4:47 AM
  • I did several server restarts.
    Of course I created a new Outlook profile, but a day later the same happens.
    This is maye related to Outlook and not the server. I dont know...

I may test cached mode on some users.

I checked the RPC logs shortly but cannot find any error. In the eventviewer there is no error related to that. Only warning is id 3028 killbit.xml
    I will check the RPC logs in detail next week.

Friday, February 8, 2019 9:13 AM
  • Hello,

Any clue found in the RPC logs? If any, could you share it to us?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:08 AM
  • Hi

Hello,

same problem in my environment, 2 servers in a dag, exchange 2016 cu11 installed, after publicfoldermigration to exchange 2016 we have this issues. We have two publicfoldermailboxes, these problems i think only exist on windows 10 office365 newest patch level. the publicfoldermailboxes are on rpc at this time, i cant see these connections in rpc log.

Hope, you can help me

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:52 PM
  • Hello, we also have the same problem in our environment: 1x Exchange 2016 CU13 and Outlook 365 clients (Version 1902 Build 11328.20468).

The problem occurs sporadically on some pcs. Only when restarting Outlook are the public folders connected.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 7:57 AM