none
Win7 system tray icons not updating at startup

Question

• I am using win7 64bit home premium, sp1. The problem is the system tray icons sometimes not showing up, or else showing up but not updating during the startup process. Examples: Most of the time the APC Powerchute icon appears, but sometimes not. Most of the time the Action Center flag shows, but sometimes not. Most of the time the speakers icon shows normal but sometimes it has a red x and says something about audio services stopped but in fact the audio is just fine. Most of the time the Microsoft Security Essentials icon shows green, but sometimes it shows red, and when I hover over the icon and Open MSE the program says everything is fine, and then the icon immediately turns green. Most of the time, the network icon is fine but sometimes it shows the yellow triangle, sometimes the red x and sometimes does not show up at all, yet my networking and internect connectivity are just fine (in fact, as I write this, the icon is missing).

The other "things" in the tray that do not seem to be affected are: VIA HD Audio Dec, the ATI icon, the time and date, Network Activity Indicator by IT Samples, and that Show Desktop thingy.

This problem has been plaguing me for a couple months now. This computer and its win7 is about 8 months old, and built by ibuypower.com. Only the Indictor and the APC are truly third party programs, the rest are either microsoft or are from hardware driver packages installed 8 months ago (long before this problem appeared). However, the APC was installed soon after initial win7 install, and Indicator was installed maybe 3-4 months ago...again, soon enough before the problem to seem to not be the cause.

The only icon-associated programs that go thru updates are microsoft and ATI. I don't know if an update to one of those may have caused this problem. Possible yes, but I cannot say for sure.

Ok TechCenter, give me your Magic Answer that will solve all my problems. 8-)

Saturday, January 28, 2012 6:22 PM

Answers