none
WMI Error

Question

•  

Good Day. I have a new gateway (M-series) laptop computer with Vista Home premium 64 bit. I have the following errors

Music - Can only play 1 1/2 songs before the sound stops, the music slider keeps moving and the curser starts its spinning "thinking" motion and locks up. Cannot shut it down properly. (VCL player, Windows media player, doesnt seem to matter.)

many times cannot open applications from the start menu. Curser spins for a few seconds and stops, nothing happens. Locks up.

Sometimes just setting unused the computer simply locks up. 2 times I have gotten the BSOD althought that seems to have stopped after updating the Intel storage matric drivers

Event Veiwer reports this error every time, without exception

Log Name: Application
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
    Date: 10/26/2008 12:16:07 AM
    Event ID: 10
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: wilson8
    Description:
    Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WMI" Guid="{1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}" EventSourceName="WinMgmt" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">10</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-10-26T04:16:07.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>2914</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>wilson8</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>//./root/CIMV2</Data>
    <Data>SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage &gt; 99</Data>
    <Data>0x80041003</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2"
    because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

4 gig ram
    Intel Dual core processor

I have not run recovery as I am not sure what the ramifications are or what I might lose in doing so.

I have run SFC after I originally posted this.  Am waiting to verify performance results.

Any thoughts going forward? I use my on/off switch to shut this thing down with 90% of the time and thats not good.
    (ps, its just off warranty)

Monday, October 27, 2008 12:19 AM

All replies

• Hi

This error is documented as one of those in the category "You can safely ignore this error message".

Please see the following article for the description and a fix to stop these events from being recorded.

Event ID 10 is logged in the Application log after you install Windows Vista Service Pack 1:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q950375

This is not the source of the sound problems. You might want to take another look at the event logs to see if there is something else in there.

If you have a System Restore point that was created prior to this behavior starting, I recommend trying that first.

Did this behavior begin soon after installing Service pack 1?

You might also want to check the Gateway website to see if any updated drivers are available for the installed sound device.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, October 27, 2008 5:58 AM
  •  

Thank you Ronnie.  This computer had sp1 on it when purchased.  I am not sure I can ignore this error as it "appears" to be the error in event log I get each time the computer locks up. If it is not the source of the locking up, then event veiwer is not recording any reasons for the locking.  Once any lockup occurs, it is impossible to shut the machine down through any normal means, close the offending application, use C+A+Delete to close the application or shut down.  it is completely random as to what I may be doing or using when it locks up, I could be just using the slide bar on the right to scroll down to the bottom of  a page.

The locking up symptons started day one when the media center locked up playing a song.  On the bright side, the locking up during music has now extended itself to up to 4 songs. To explain the music problem, it plays maybe 2 song, the sound stops halfway through the second one(song keeps playing according to the slider), as  soon as I hit "stop" the computer locks up.  I dont think this problem is separate from the computer locking up while setting idle, surfing or performing any random function.

I did run sfc and it found a number of corrupted files avccording to the cbs log, but also said there were some it couldnt repair.  Would you think a system recovery may be in order?  Running sfc evidently has not stopped the lockups.

Monday, October 27, 2008 2:40 PM
  • Hi

That 'exact' error message and description comes from a bug in the WMI filtering component. One way to make sure is to create and run the script in that article. After you run the script, that exact event will no longer appear in any subsequent events.

Event ID 10 is logged in the Application log after you install Windows Vista Service Pack 1:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q950375

Random lockups can be difficult to track down. The problem with the built-in Event component, is that when a hard lock occurs, the Event logging component can also be a victim of the lockup. 

From your description, it sounds like the problem is definitely hardware related.

The first thing to do would be check for and install the latest drivers for the installed Display and Sound components, display being the most obvious.

Performing a system recovery is your call. I never recommend this until all of the troubleshooting steps are used. That said, troubleshooting can be a daunting and frustrating process and many people would rather just reinstall and start over to end the pain.  

With a problem like you are currently experiencing, you would need to back up all of your important data files to removeable media. This includes any installation files for third party software. You cannot save any configuration settings or use anything like Windows Easy Transfer, since this could conceivably transfer the problem to the new installation.

Let us know what you find.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Monday, October 27, 2008 9:01 PM
  • Thanks again Ronnie.

I am currently doing everything I can think of.  I have lifted the laptop off the desk to allow more air flow, updated all the drivers from gateway I could find(and probably some that didnt apply lol), cleaning the disk and cleaning the registry etc.  With it up off the desk and cool air from the window running under it it has run longer so far than it has previously.

The last thing I want to do is a system recovery, however if nothing works I will take SP1 off and re-stall it.

Monday, October 27, 2008 9:28 PM
  • Hi

It sounds like you may have found at least a part of the problem. 

Let us know if this solves the rest of the issues.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 5:40 AM
  • I have recently started having this error happen myself.  it usually happens when the CPU is pegged at 100% for awhile.  One thing that caught my eye and I did some looking in to was the reported error code,  0x80041003, this error code according to the SDK Documentation resolved to WBEM_E_ACCESS_DENIED.  it would seem that something, possibly a gadget running on the desktop in the sidebar and or another application interacting with the WIM service does not have the correct privileges to perform what... we don't know, because at that point the event log is no longer recording errors because it can't flush the current exception and has hard locked the system

but this is possibly another avenue to look in to as well
    Friday, November 07, 2008 7:21 AM