WIndows 7 and KMS Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently stood up a KMS server so all of my Windows 2008 standard , Windows 2008 R2 servers and windows 7 workstations can activate via the KMS server.  The vast majority of the servers will be virtual (VMware) while my workstations will be physical.  Listed below are a few questions I have:

1.      My KMS servers was activated using a KMS server key.  As I stand up additional W2K8 standard and W2K8 R2 servers I want them to activate against the KMS server.  I'm assuming that I should be using the same Windows Server 2008 Std/Ent KMS key for each virtual server that I stand up.  Correct?

2.      As it relates to my Windows 7 workstations, once again I am assuming that I use the same Windows 7 KMS key for each workstation.  Correct?

Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:13 PM

Answers

• No and no...

When you stand up a KMS host machine...and you set all the defaults...which allows it to publish itself into DNS, and you've used the proper CLASS of KMS key...  When you've done all that, you're done.

You DO NOT need to use a KMS key or a KMS host key on any of the other servers that you stand up, physical or virtual, after you've got your KMS host machine running.  They will use DNS to find your KMS host and activate themselves.  All machines, clients and servers, come with a built-in SETUP key that they use initially and then they are pre-programmed to go looking for a real KMS host machine.

The same thing is true for W7.  Again, you do not use a key or install a key on them.

It's a common misconception that you have to install multiple KMS keys onto a KMS host machine.  Some people think they must install one for each OS they want to activate.  DO NOT do that.  Just install the BEST class of key that you own (which in your case might be the Server 2008 R2 key).

Here's some great reference material...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc308698.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/product-activation-faq.aspx

Specifically see the first article where they show you the pyramid of the types of Classes of KMS key.

Read that...it will save you a ton of time.

Mike...
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, July 12, 2010 5:48 AM
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:34 PM