none
Installing Windows 7 Ultimate on old laptop.

Question

• Recently bought Window 7 Ultimate.  Currently running XP Pro 32 bit on a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop.  Ran Microsoft's upgrade utility, suggested 1 gig memory, graphics adapter to support Aero.  Could Windows 7 Ultimate be installed on a self powered external USB or firewire interface drive, and then connected to the laptop without doing a clean install over XP pro, or will I still encounter memory and a graphics adapter insuffiency?
    Friday, February 19, 2010 4:42 PM

Answers

• Windows 7 Ultimate would be gross overkill on your laptop.  You would be better off trying Windows 7 Home, either Basic or Premium.  Any of the Windows 7 distributions can be put on a bootable 4GB USB key and the system installed from there.  You cannot "upgrade" XP to Win 7, you must do a clean install.  Plus, you will have to run down any and all Windows 7 drivers needed for your computer.  Some Vista drivers are compatible and some are not.  XP drivers almost never work.  Without Aero the interface almost looks like XP.
    • Marked as answer by Quinpar Saturday, February 20, 2010 5:53 AM
    Friday, February 19, 2010 6:39 PM

All replies

• Windows 7 Ultimate would be gross overkill on your laptop.  You would be better off trying Windows 7 Home, either Basic or Premium.  Any of the Windows 7 distributions can be put on a bootable 4GB USB key and the system installed from there.  You cannot "upgrade" XP to Win 7, you must do a clean install.  Plus, you will have to run down any and all Windows 7 drivers needed for your computer.  Some Vista drivers are compatible and some are not.  XP drivers almost never work.  Without Aero the interface almost looks like XP.
    • Marked as answer by Quinpar Saturday, February 20, 2010 5:53 AM
    Friday, February 19, 2010 6:39 PM
  • Quinpar,
     Your dell laptop will not support windows 7 dell will not releasing any drivers for that XP class laptop.

And No you can run windows off a external drive (well you "could" with some magic but it would not be work well at all).
    • Proposed as answer by Bubbapcguy Friday, February 19, 2010 8:03 PM
    Friday, February 19, 2010 8:03 PM
  • Thanks for your response and I think you are spot on.  I wanted to stay ahead of the game running Windows 7 Ultimate to teach myself some of the differences users will encounter in an enterprise environment.  Looks like I'll need to put together a PC to do it justice and migrate my files over to it.  The old laptop is going to a charity soon anyway, but I thought I could save myself a hardware investment.
    • Proposed as answer by Bubbapcguy Saturday, February 20, 2010 2:55 AM
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 12:21 AM
  • You machine would not be useful for Windows 7, as there are no drivers for the machine's hardware.

You are definitely better off buying a new machine with Windows 7 installed so you can be sure that the machine is suitable.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, HD2400 Pro, more details on my site, need a new boot disk, existing one is 5 years old
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 1:15 AM
  • Recently bought Window 7 Ultimate.  Currently running XP Pro 32 bit on a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop.  Ran Microsoft's upgrade utility, suggested 1 gig memory, graphics adapter to support Aero.  Could Windows 7 Ultimate be installed on a self powered external USB or firewire interface drive, and then connected to the laptop without doing a clean install over XP pro, or will I still encounter memory and a graphics adapter insuffiency?

Windows 7 Ultimate would be gross overkill on your laptop.  You would be better off trying Windows 7 Home, either Basic or Premium.  Any of the Windows 7 distributions can be put on a bootable 4GB USB key and the system installed from there.  You cannot "upgrade" XP to Win 7, you must do a clean install.  Plus, you will have to run down any and all Windows 7 drivers needed for your computer.  Some Vista drivers are compatible and some are not.  XP drivers almost never work.  Without Aero the interface almost looks like XP.
    Monday, August 09, 2010 3:54 PM
  • Yar how to install windows 7 in laptop its diffenernt to install on computer and laptop ??
    Monday, August 09, 2010 3:55 PM
  • Yar how to install windows 7 in laptop its diffenernt to install on computer and laptop ??

There is no real procedure difference to install on a laptop or a desktop.  The main problem with a laptop is they are custom hardware by the manufacturer and require the manufacturer's drivers and custom software utilities for complete functionality.  Usually the Fn Keys are the main problem because that is a very specialized software utility.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, August 09, 2010 4:32 PM