none
Event ID 257 CAPi2. The Cryptographic Services services failed to initialize the Catalog Database. The ESENT error was -1805 RRS feed

• Question

• Getting an error in the application log every time we restart Cryptographic Services:

Event ID 257 CAPi2. The Cryptographic Services services failed to initialize the Catalog Database. The ESENT error was -1805

I've tried following:

1. Stopped Cyptographic service.

2. Make a backup of c:\windows\system32\catroot2\

3. Delete contents of c:\windows\system32\catroot2\

4. restart Cyptographic service

5. Error appears in application log.

6. C:\windows\System32\catroot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE} is empty. the catdb does not get recreated.

7. System recovery does not fix the issue.

Consequently:

8. Windows patches fail to install.

9. Running any .msc, i.e. service.msc fails with a Red UAC pop-up: This app has been blocked for your protection. Publisher unknown. 

Any insight on how to fix this would be helpful.

Have multiple machines broken.

All are running Windows 10 Pro 1803.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 5:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I don’t know the specific causes,but here I provide you with four methods:

Method 1:

Rename your catroot2 folder->Go to the Device Manger->Select the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers->Click on propertiers ->Update Driver->Restart your machine

Method 2:

Go to the Device Manger->Select the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers->Click on propertiers ->Uninstall Device and select the option to remove the files for the driver-> Restart your machine and  on next boot Windows automatically installed the correct default Microsoft controller driver

Method 3:

Services > Cryptographic services > Properties >Logon (identity)

Method 4:

Give the identity account (usually 'network service') full permission on the C: drive.

And here is a link that related to your condition:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/c16cd26c-e2c4-4d7e-9032-39c7b11dab1d/cryptographic-services-fail-to-initialize-the-catalogue-database?forum=w7itprogeneral

Hope these can help you!Good luck!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 23, 2019 9:00 AM
  • gocomoto, I am also having the same exact issue that happened suddenly and 8 machines are affected. I have been working with Microsoft support and they have not been able to figure out anything past what is already on the internet. I have tried all the steps suggested by Microsoft and on every forum. I refuse to believe the only way to fix these machines is wipe them out and reinstall everything from scratch. Something happened to these machines and based on your post, it happened around the same time to my machines also.
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 2:19 PM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

Best regards,

Charlotte Tang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 5:55 AM
  • I'm having same issue as well windows 10 1703, build 15063. Was anyone able to fix this?
    Friday, October 18, 2019 1:04 PM
  • Same problem here.  Anybody had any success?

Sam

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 1:10 AM