none
Firewire Driver update for windows 7

Question

• I am wanting to transfer video from a sony handycam to my computer but it stopped working ever since I upgraded my operating system from Vista to 7. i contacted sony and they said i needed a firewire driver update. I contacted HP but they won't do anything for me since i upgraded my system. this is what they said, " I am really sorry Dannon, I have checked all the possible option to find all the drivers for windows 7 operating system for your Notebook, however there is no another option. I will suggest you please get back to with windows vista operating system." There is no way that i am going back to Vista. Sony said something about an iLink driver. I have tried searching for any kind of driver but has been unsuccessful. 

Monday, November 29, 2010 9:13 PM

Answers

• Microsoft is not responsible for supplying hardware drivers for third party hardware.  The manufacturer/vendor is responsible for supplying the drivers for theior hardware.  If HP has elected to not provide Windows 7 support for you system there is a reason for it.  Usually the reason is the system is not Windows 7 compliant.  You need a driver that is specific to your hardware.  If the Firewire device was not picked up when you installed Windows 7 that means you need the drivers for your specific Firewire and a generic driver is not going to work.

Can you identify your Firewire controller?  If so, contact the manufacturer of that chip to see if they may have published a Windows 7 driver for it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, November 29, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Also, which Sony handycam do you have?

Also, there are several Firewire drivers included with Windows 7.

For instance, you could try  the legacy Firewire driver and see if it makes any difference.

There is more info and steps in the following link:

»social.technet.microsoft.com/For···537e8da1

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:08 PM

All replies

• Microsoft is not responsible for supplying hardware drivers for third party hardware.  The manufacturer/vendor is responsible for supplying the drivers for theior hardware.  If HP has elected to not provide Windows 7 support for you system there is a reason for it.  Usually the reason is the system is not Windows 7 compliant.  You need a driver that is specific to your hardware.  If the Firewire device was not picked up when you installed Windows 7 that means you need the drivers for your specific Firewire and a generic driver is not going to work.

Can you identify your Firewire controller?  If so, contact the manufacturer of that chip to see if they may have published a Windows 7 driver for it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, November 29, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Also, which Sony handycam do you have?

Also, there are several Firewire drivers included with Windows 7.

For instance, you could try  the legacy Firewire driver and see if it makes any difference.

There is more info and steps in the following link:

»social.technet.microsoft.com/For···537e8da1

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:08 PM
  • My solution was the cable.

I have just installed Windows 7, 64 bit. And want to capture video from Sony DSR250 and Sony DVCAM recorder. It worked fine with Windows XP and Windows Vista. I have tried all four IEEE 1394 drivers in Windows 7, but Adobe Premier Pro CS5.5 says "no device".

After reading a post from DarrenH_Brummie in another thread (nov 10 2010) I tried to connect a small Panasonic camera, and used a cable with one small (4 pin) and one big (6 pin) end connection, I GOT a connection and all 4 drivers worked I think!

So - Today I got a firewire adapter, that makes the small firewire end (4 pin) into a big one (6 pin) = I now have a cable with two big ends.
    It works!!!  Now I'm able to capture from the Sony DVCAM recorder, Yes!!!

Maby later someone will tell me how to get a "normal" firewire cable to work ....?

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:08 PM