none
Windows Update Error 800F081F

Question

• Windows update is failing attempting to install the Windows Update Agent 7.4.7000.81  The error screen that appears says Windows could not search for new updates and the above error code.

I have looked high and low through the threads and have found no other occurrance of this error.  I have tried all the fixes for other errors related to Windows Update with no success and now am appealing to the group for assistance.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Your error is part of an Installer problem usually caused by a bad version of anti-virus and or firewall.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:28 PM
  • Hi Mark:

I disabled the antivirus program as well as the firewall and still get the same error. 
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:51 PM
  • The usual work around is  to look for a download of the update agent and run it locally.

Information for network administrators about how to obtain the latest Windows Update Agent ... :
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Mark L. Ferguson said:

The usual work around is  to look for a download of the update agent and run it locally.

Information for network administrators about how to obtain the latest Windows Update Agent ... :

Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Unfortunately, the current file available for download is from October for Vista and will not work.  Would someone have the updated agent 7.4.7000.81 for Windows 7? 
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:34 PM
  • Fortunately, that is a system file in Win7. I should have told you to run SFC in the first place.

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) 
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:33 PM
  • I ran sfc /scannow and found no errors. 
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:34 AM
  •   

General Windows Update Troubleshooting

The following outlines how to stop services pertaining to Windows Update, rename system folders, register related DLL files, and then restart the previously mentioned services. This troubleshooting generally applies to all Windows Update related issues.

Stopping services pertaining to Windows Update

1.     Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.

2.     If you receive a notification from User Account Control simply click Continue.

3.     At the command prompt, type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command.

net stop wuauserv
            net stop bits

net stop cryptsvc

4.     Please do not close the Command Prompt window.

Renaming folders pertaining to Windows Update

1.     At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press Enter after each command:

2.     ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 Catroot2.old

3.     ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

4.     Please do not close the Command Prompt window.

Registering DLL’s pertaining to Windows Update

1.     Please copy and paste the following text into a new Notepad document, and save the file as WindowsUpdate.BAT

2.     If saved correctly the icon will change from a Notepad file to BAT file which has two blue cogs as its icon.

-or-

3.     You can manually type each command at the command prompt:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\vbscript.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\mshtml.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msjava.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msxml.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\actxprxy.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\shdocvw.dll /s

regsvr32 wuapi.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s

regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s

regsvr32 wups2.dll /s

regsvr32 wups.dll /s

regsvr32 wuweb.dll /s

regsvr32 Softpub.dll /s

regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s

regsvr32 Initpki.dll /s

regsvr32 softpub.dll /s

regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s

regsvr32 initpki.dll /s

regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s

regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s

regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s

regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s

regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s

regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll /s

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll /s

regsvr32 Msjava.dll /s

regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll /s

regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll /s

regsvr32 Mshtml.dll /s

regsvr32 msxml.dll /s

regsvr32 msxml2.dll /s

regsvr32 msxml3.dll /s

regsvr32 Browseui.dll /s

regsvr32 shell32.dll /s

regsvr32 wuapi.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll /s

regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s

regsvr32 wups.dll /s

regsvr32 wuweb.dll /s

regsvr32 jscript.dll /s

regsvr32 atl.dll /s

regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s

Restarting services pertaining to Windows Update

1.     Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.

2.     If you receive a notification from User Account Control simply click Continue.

3.     At the command prompt, type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command.

net start wuauserv
            net start bits

net start cryptsvc

exit

4.     Now please check for updates using Windows Update to see if the issue has been resolved.

Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:26 PM
  • Profster:

Did you fix your problem? It looks like you may have marked Mark Ferguson's last posted as 'helpful', so can you just confirm the problem is fixed?

Thank you,
    Nick
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:33 AM
  • so I know this thread is 2 years old almost, but I tried to use it because I use Windows 7 and get the error code 800F081F when I try to use Windows Update. I tried running Microsoft Fixit and it found no problems, and the site nor the Help and Support recognized the error code. The strange thing is that I was able to install updates managed by my system administrator, even though it could not install the windows update installer for updates found online... I tried the above attempts, and they failed... any ideas?

Thanks,

Andrew

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 12:53 AM
  • Not sure if this is related but I thought I would throw it out there just in case.  I had several Windows 7 computers that could not do windows updates and it was because they all had the same client machine ID (CMID).  I had to rearm and reactivate each machine and now the Windows updates work.
    JKG02
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:52 PM