none
Protecting DPM Server Data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a physical DPM server that backups up our Hyper-V clusters and few other Physical SQL servers. The total size of backups is 100 TB and we are only keeping disk based backups. Just wondering what are available strategies to protect a DPM server of this size. Would either of the following work.

- BMR Backup of the DPM server and storage based replication of the DPM volumes to another site

-  Virtualizing the DPM server and then do storage based replication of the Volume that DPM VHDs reside

Appreciate your thoughts and advice please.

Thanks in Advance,

Chandimal

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 12:13 AM

All replies

• Hello Chandimal,

You will need to backup your DPM server with a secondary DPM server.

You could go with Primary to secondary protection option:

The database and replicas stored on a primary DPM server can be backed up to a secondary DPM server. If the primary server fails the secondary server continues to back up protected workloads

MCSE, MCSA, MS, MCP, MCTS, System Engineer

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 7:31 AM
  • Despite of the implementing a secondary DPM server, I would also consider following 3-2-1 rule which states that one of the copy shall be stored offsite. Some of the cloud data storage solutions like the Azure Blob storages hould be a good fit here.
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 1:13 AM
  • We backup to a virtual tape library once per month and send these files offsite. We use Firestreamer for that. Costs a bit of money, but well worth it in my opinion.

You could also Azure Backups i suppose.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:02 AM