none
Windows 7 Activation Issues

Question

• I have a technet account and have downloaded the windows 7 RTM on September 1 (Along with a key). For some reason, whenever I try to actiate windows, it fails with the error: "File not found." I enabled the group policy to track file modifications to see if i could discover the missing file, but was unsuccessful.

Running slui.exe to activate windows also does not work. Results in error code: 0xC0000022 "Access Denied" and instructs me to "Contact microsoft by phone."

I read through a couple of posts as well that seem to be having identical issues, however, the fix:
    net stop slsvc
    Cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing
    Ren tokens.dat tokens.old
    cd %windir%\system32
    net start slsvc
    slmgr.vbs -rilc
    Resulted in "running slui.exe 0x2a0x80070426" Error: "0x80070426" or "Access Denied".
    After doing that step, I disabled UAC to confirm that it is not interferring with the activation of windows but was unsuccessful.
    A post also suggests that windows needs the "Software Protection Service" started but fails with a "file not found" error.
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 12:06 PM

Answers

• D-W ... Sorry I can't help, but I have a question as I have somewhat of a similar problem. I found the same instructions which are supposed to help resolve my "windows must be reinstalled" issue, but my problem is I get a "service name invalid" when trying to do a net stop slsvc. What edition of 7 are you running?

Thanks

Reinstall fixed my issue, When installing select the upgrade option and you will be able to save your settings.

-Dan
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 4:39 PM

All replies

• D-W ... Sorry I can't help, but I have a question as I have somewhat of a similar problem. I found the same instructions which are supposed to help resolve my "windows must be reinstalled" issue, but my problem is I get a "service name invalid" when trying to do a net stop slsvc. What edition of 7 are you running?

Thanks
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 2:20 PM

Thanks

Reinstall fixed my issue, When installing select the upgrade option and you will be able to save your settings.

-Dan
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 4:39 PM
  • Not sure I follow ya ... I wiped out my XP install and did a fresh Win 7 install. I am just curious to as how you were able to do a net stop slsvc when I try I get an invalid service name. Was curious to as if possibly it was the edition? I'm running enterprise ...

Thanks
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 5:18 PM
  • Hi D-w,

This activation issue can occur if the Software Licensing Service is stopped or damaged. Normally this is not a big problem, since you can just restart the Service. sometimes, an error is received when attempting to restart the Service. This indicates a more serious 'root cause' to the service having damaged.

After reinstalling the system, this service is restarted or repaired. Therefore, we can activate the system successfully. D-W, I suggest you mark this thread as answered to assist others in quickly resolving similar issues.

In addition, I would like to share the following information which may be useful for you in the future.

Restart Software Licensing Servic:
    =====================================
    (If you have access to the Start button):

1)    Click the Start button
    2)    Type: cmd in the Start Search field
    3)    At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe
    4)    Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator
    5)    Type: net start slsvc

(If you do not have access to the Start button):

1)    Click the option that launches an Internet Browser
    2)    A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field
    3)    Find the file cmd.exe
    4)    Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator
    5)    Type: net start slsvc

Friday, September 11, 2009 8:44 AM
  • Hi Folks

Just to clarify things.

The Software Licensing Service existed in Windows Vista, but was replaced in Windows 7.

The service that handles the licensing is now called the Software Protection Service (SPPSVC).

All of the same procedures and commands still work the same as they did in Windows Vista.

eg:

net start sppsvc
    net stop sppsvc

Also, the associated SL UI Notification Service (SLUINotify) in Vista was changed to the SPP Notification Service (SPPUINotify) in Windows 7.

(SPP means Software Protection Platform)

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

• Proposed as answer by arch21 Sunday, November 25, 2012 5:46 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 9:34 PM
  • Hi Folks

Just to clarify things.

The Software Licensing Service existed in Windows Vista, but was replaced in Windows 7.

The service that handles the licensing is now called the Software Protection Service (SPPSVC).

All of the same procedures and commands still work the same as they did in Windows Vista.

eg:

net start sppsvc
    net stop sppsvc

Also, the associated SL UI Notification Service (SLUINotify) in Vista was changed to the SPP Notification Service (SPPUINotify) in Windows 7.

(SPP means Software Protection Platform)

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Brilliant! Thanx Ronnie.
    Friday, October 09, 2009 3:51 AM
  • Hi Tunapez

You're welcome, glad this helped.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, October 09, 2009 10:06 AM