Windows 2016 - Start menu / task bar freeze with spinning donut RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We're using Windows 2016 with the RD Session Host installed.  Not a complete farm with Broker / Web / GW but only the RD Session Host.

We do not have User Profile Disk.

The issue is that sometimes, a user logon on the RDSH Server and then, the start menu & task bar are unavailable... the spinning donut is turning and turning...

When it happen, the folder "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Packages" has only 2 folders and not 15 as the others.

I know there is a known issue for peoples that are using User Profile Disk is this can be fixed by running this command:

$packages = Get-ChildItem -Path "$env:USERPROFILE\AppData\Local\Packages"

if($packages.count -lt 14){

$apps =  Get-ChildItem -Recurse -Path "C:\Windows\SystemApps","C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel","C:\Windows\PrintDialog","C:\Windows\MiracastView" -Include "AppXManifest.xml"

Foreach($app in $apps){

Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$app" -Verbose}

}

Else{

$null}

But in this case, this script is not working.

If i delete the user profile and the same use logon again, the same issue occur.

Also, when it occur, in task manager, i can see there is 3 "explorer" process associated with my profile that are "Suspended"

The others explorer process are from other users that are currently logged on the server.

Any hints ?

This posting is provided AS IS without warranty of any kind

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 2:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please try a quick solution to see if it helps?

After the problematic user logon on the RDSH server, open the task manager-> click the explorer.exe task (suspended)-> end the task-> click “File”-> Run new task->input “explorer.exe”. Please check if the explorer.exe is running and the start menu & task bar appears.

If above method could not resolve the problem, please check below keys in Registry Editor.

1. HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Families\Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.16299.15_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy\Flags=1

Please ensure the value of “Flags =1”     

1. HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.16299.15_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy\PackageStatus

By default, this registry key does not exist. If the value exists and is not zero, there should be a problem.

At the same time, could you please provide below information for further troubleshooting?

1. Have you configured roaming profile on the problematic user?

1. Please share a screenshot of the folder "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Packages" to see which packets are missing under the problematic user.

1. Please check the event logs to see if there is any error message related to this issue.

Event viewer\windows logs\

application

security

system

Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft-windows

apps

appxdeployment

appxdeployment-server

user profile service

winlogon

This "Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)" Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details. 

Thanks,

Eleven

"Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.
    • Edited by Elevenyh Wednesday, July 22, 2020 7:06 AM
    Wednesday, July 22, 2020 7:04 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

Here is more information...

I cannot kill the process Explorer.exe... Access Denied.  Even using Process Explorer as an Admin, even using Taskkill /PID [PID] /F

Also, here is what i can see from Process Explorer:

Also, we are using Local Profiles.  There is no UPD / Roaming Profiles / Folder redirection.

Here is what i have in the "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Packages" folder

dIn the event logs (Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer/Operational), i do have this Warning Failed to initialize PLM with error 0x80070005.

Also those errors: ( alots of theses... all registrations that failed generated 2 errors)

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.14393.2068_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from:  (AppxManifest.xml)  failed with error 0x80070005. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 for help diagnosing app deployment issues.

AppX Deployment operation failed for package Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.14393.2068_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy with error 0x80070005. The specific error text for this failure is: Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.14393.2068_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from:  (AppxManifest.xml)  failed with error 0x80070005. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 for help diagnosing app deployment issues.

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 1:36 PM
  • Hi,

1.Have you customized one server 2016 image and sysprep it, then deploy to image to this issue server w2016 ?

2."If i delete the user profile and the same use logon again, the same issue occur."
    we can logon the normal user account and issue user account respectively then 
    check if there is user policy different between normal user account and issue user account ?
    gpresult /h c:\rds.html
    is there logon script or other script to cause sepcified user has this issue.

3.we can try to run get-appxpackage in powershell to get packagefullname about all missing files.then we can copy the 
    missing files from normal user account to issue user account in the same below location 
    %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Packages

run Powershell as admin,enter below powershell to register all missing package for this issue user. for example register ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy for issue user.
    Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Windows\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode

finally we can run below powershell command as admin to check if ShellExperienceHost register for issue user 
    get-appxpackage *ShellExperienceHost* -alluser

Thanks,

Eleven

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Elevenyh Thursday, July 23, 2020 2:49 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 2:41 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update? 

Please feel free to let us know if further assistance is required.

Thanks,

Eleven

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 24, 2020 1:38 AM
  • Hi,

Does the information provided help?

Please provide an update if the issue has been resolved.

Thanks,

Eleven

Monday, July 27, 2020 6:17 AM
  • Sorry for late response,

We do have a custom image but this only happen on 3-4 servers out of 1000+.  But when it happen for a user (my profile in that case), even if i delete the user profile, the problem happen again after creating my new profile.

There is no specific logon script for my user profile.

The powershell command didn't worked either.

The only way i found was to reinstall the server...  really weird

Thanks for your help

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Based on current situation, you might need to capture some dumps or traces to further investigate the issue, which I suggest to contact Microsoft Customer Support and Services where more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue.

You may find phone number for your region accordingly from the link below:

Global Customer Service phone numbers

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 9:12 AM
  • Thanks.

If it happen again, i will folliw your suggestion.

Regards,

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 6:34 PM
  • Hi,

In that case, if no more assistance is required, please kindly mark our replies as answers if they help.

And if you have any new question, we welcome you to post in the "Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

Thanks,

Eleven

Thursday, July 30, 2020 1:40 AM