none
How to hide/disable the Site Contents gear icon at the top banner RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Can check if possible to hide the Site Contents gear icon (top right corner beside the ? mar) from the top banner for SharePoint 2016? 

Thanks

klsl

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 9:35 AM

All replies

• Hi klsl,

Based on your description, I understand that you want to hide site contents button from site settings menu for everyone.

1. Go to site settings -> Master pages and page layouts under Web Designer Galleries -> Find the master page (by default it is seattle.master) -> Download a copy -> Rename the file-> Upload the copy master page into the Master pages and page layouts Gallery.

2. Open the site collection in the SharePoint Designer -> All files -> _catalogs -> masterpage -> Find the copy master page -> Check out -> Right click, Edit File in Advanced Mode -> Delete the site contents button code -> Save -> Check in.

3. Go to site settings -> Master page under Look and Feel -> Set master page.

4. Result.

This “SharePoint Server 2016” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Best regards,

Emily Du

"SharePoint" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 6:11 AM
  • Hey Emily

Thanks much for your detailed explanation.

Can I check if only want to non admin can't see the gear icon? What are the changes required?

Look forward to getting your soonest reply again!

Thanks again!

klsl

Friday, July 17, 2020 7:02 AM
  • Hi klsl,

For non-admin can't see the site collection button, in the second step of last provided reply, there is no need to delete the code, you should modify the code. The other steps remain the same.

As the following picture shows, replace the text "ViewFormPages" with the text "EnumeratePermissions".

Results:

1. Administrator.

2. A user with edit permission.

Reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29926.sharepoint-2013-how-to-hide-site-contents.aspx

This “SharePoint Server 2016” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Best regards,

Emily Du

We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Friday, July 17, 2020 9:42 AM
  • Hi klsl,

I'm checking how the things are going on about this issue. Whether the post helps you?

You can mark the post as answer if it helps.

This “SharePoint Server 2016” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Best regards,

Emily Du

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 1:35 AM
  • Hey Emily

Thanks so much for your reply.

Can check if i could edit the file using notepad instead (without SharePoint Designer 2013)?

Due to some constraints in installing SharePoint Designer, I could not install it on my laptop. 

Thanks again!

klsl

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 5:58 AM
  • Hi klsl,

Yes. You could download a copy of master page into the computer, then open it with Notepad.

Note, after editing the copy of master page, upload it into the Master pages and page layouts Gallery, you should publish a major version.

Best regards,

Emily Du

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 10:06 AM
  • Hi klsl,

Is there any progress on this issue?

If you find any replies helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers.

It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Emily Du

Friday, July 24, 2020 10:24 AM