none
Switch User/Log Off Black Screen in Windows 7

Question

• I just bought a Gateway DX4822 with Windows 7.  Everything works great except when I try to Switch User or Log Off it flips to a black screen 95% of the time.  The computer is still on and the Enter Key generates a computer sound.  Some times it looks like it's trying to display but goes black.  The video is an internal chip.  Any ideas?
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:49 PM

All replies

• Is Windows Update set to check for driver updates? Check Start -> Devices and Printers, right-click your PC icon and select "Device installation settings". Ensure that "yes" is selected. Run Windows Update and install any drivers it offers. If this is already selected and/or there are no new drivers, go to the site of your video chip supplier and see if there are any newer or better drivers available. Windows 7 is excellent at providing drivers for a huge range of hardware but sometimes the ones from the supplier are better than the MS ones, especially for video devices.

Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:54 AM
  • This seems to be similar to the problem described here:

No fix seems to be available yet...
    Friday, February 19, 2010 2:27 PM
  • Having same problem. Maybe its harware issue.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 9:06 AM
  • I found this after googling-on xp it was graphics driver related, I had to switch to an old one. Its still happening now with drivers on 7 and vista. If its still graphics related, theres obviously something conflicting with windows that microsoft still havent been able to work out. If its related to a major brand third party driver, im sure both companies will blame one another. Its been happening since xp, so Im not convinced that a real solution may be found. Its very annoying as I have multiple users on this machine and a log off or switch user is inevitable to happen at some point. On 7 I have an external gfx card, on vista its built in, so its essentially different brands for graphics.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:25 PM
  • Hi,

I just experienced the same and found a workaround. I use 2 monitors that I used before on a HP Pavillion PC. Now I built and use a computer based on an ASROCK Motherboard and the built-in Video adapter, using the same 2 monitors (1 IBM, 1 LG).

As said, 95% of the time this black screen happens when switching user. Since the PC is still in perfect working state, I tried to switch off the screen & switch it on again. This sends a signal to the video adapter and the image is back.

Not a difficult workaround but would be glad to hear from MS if it's software related or not. Personally, regarding my workaround that "works", I go for hardware problem....

PS: if you manage to logon in the "dark"..., the desktop will be there too...
    Thomas.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:53 AM