none
Upgrade from windows 10 home to pro with windows 7 pro key RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought a laptop with windows 10 home and would like to upgrade to windows 10 pro. I currently own a licensed copy of windows 7 pro that would allow me to upgrade to 10 pro. Can I simply change the product key under: "settings" and "activate" and move up to 10 pro that way?

I have three other older computers that have been upgraded to 10 pro with 7 pro and would like my newest and fastest computer to run the same OS. I need the added networking functionality on my new system. How would I go about this?

Monday, December 28, 2015 1:41 PM

Answers

• As long as your win 7 Pro key is not being used elsewhere and your win 10 version is upgraded to 10586 (and activated) before changing to pro you can simply change the key.

There are two methods for changing the key.

1-in all settings>updates & security>activation>change product key

2-If the above does not work you can type slmgr /idk in an elevated command prompt.

To be more certain we could use the current type of license (oem or retail) and the win 7 pro type of license as well

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Monday, December 28, 2015 2:26 PM

All replies

• As long as your win 7 Pro key is not being used elsewhere and your win 10 version is upgraded to 10586 (and activated) before changing to pro you can simply change the key.

There are two methods for changing the key.

1-in all settings>updates & security>activation>change product key

2-If the above does not work you can type slmgr /idk in an elevated command prompt.

To be more certain we could use the current type of license (oem or retail) and the win 7 pro type of license as well

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Monday, December 28, 2015 2:26 PM
  • It is being used on two other PCs but it is an valid for 5 installs. I'm thinking it will be OK. Thank you, I'll give it a try and let you know which method works.
    Monday, December 28, 2015 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

We hope your issue has been resolved, if you've found solution by yourself. We would appreciate it if you could share with us or update here we will also mark it as answer.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 11, 2016 8:33 AM
  • Can I simply change the product key under: "settings" and "activate" and move up to 10 pro that way?

See the article at THIS LINK for the procedure you will need to use for Home to Pro upgrade.
    Monday, January 11, 2016 9:30 AM