none
White dots spinning circle at startup RRS feed

• Question

• hi there - I have following issue:

When I boot the PC it keeps on with the spinning circle on blue ground endlessly.

What I can do is booting up in safe mode and all works perfectly. I can switch between user IDs

and can also create new ones.

Used SFC /SCANNOW and also DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH both resulting

in no error.

Tried to run inplace upgrade but this is not allowed in safe mode.

Created DVD and started booting using the DVD. Entered all required things like language/keyboard

accepted license terms and choosing keep files and applications.

Then logic asks to remove DVD and restart (there is no restart option on that screen)

so I used option repair which lets me choose carry on with windows which in turn reboots but then it ends

again with the spinning circle.

Any idea what I could try to get into the inplace upgrade to hopefully solve the problem?

Thanks

in addition - I removed all USBs except keyboard and mouse

first error after normal booting showing up in event log is:

The NgcCtnrSvc service terminated with the following error:
    General access denied error 

event ID 7023

and using the previous build option is failing as well as the only one restore point I have

since the anniversary update  :-(

• Edited by Viktor.Sc Thursday, September 1, 2016 8:04 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 7:25 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

Based on your description, everything work perfectly in safe mode. If this issue is gone in safe mode, it could be a incompatible issue that caused by incompatible drivers or third party applications. But, since there is an event ID 7023 recorded when this issue occurred, let's troubleshoot and fix event ID 7023 first.

Please open registry and locate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NgcCtnrSvc", take ownership of this registry entry and take full control of it. Then, refer to the following link troubleshoot event ID 7023
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756318(v=ws.10).aspx

Then, please uninstall the current graphics card drivers and setup clean boot to have a try.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

And for your question about using in-place upgrade, here is a link introduce in-place Upgrade step by step. Hope it is helpful.
    How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Viktor.Sc Friday, September 2, 2016 8:32 AM
    Friday, September 2, 2016 6:46 AM
  • Thank you for your reply,

In the meantime I found a solution which lets me logon again and system works as such.

What I did

Started safe mode and used command prompt Admin then

cd /d C:\Windows
    icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET

and after some 30 minutes it finished with a number of errors but it did the trick

now I would be able to do an inplace upgrade

Checked event viewer and see some "new" errors like

Security SPP 16385 and ESENT srudb access denied with error 1032 ID 439/490

I managed to fix some other errors - now unsure whether I shall try to fix above 2 errors

manually or whether it would be better to do an inplace upgrade or to wait for the anniversary

build for win 10 PRO - I got the anniversary build on my laptop having win 10 home yesterday

but not so (yet) for the desktop where I had this issue which has win 10 PRO

would any of the two fix the remaining errors by itself?

Kind regards

Viktor

• Edited by Viktor.Sc Friday, September 2, 2016 8:09 AM
    Friday, September 2, 2016 7:42 AM
  • Hi  Viktor,

Good to hear that you are able to perform a in-place upgrade now. in-place upgrade will repair to refresh the machine, you system will act liked reinstalled but it won`t affect the personal files. So, from my experience, these errors should be fixed after in-place upgrade.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 2, 2016 8:26 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Based on your description, everything work perfectly in safe mode. If this issue is gone in safe mode, it could be a incompatible issue that caused by incompatible drivers or third party applications. But, since there is an event ID 7023 recorded when this issue occurred, let's troubleshoot and fix event ID 7023 first.

Please open registry and locate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NgcCtnrSvc", take ownership of this registry entry and take full control of it. Then, refer to the following link troubleshoot event ID 7023
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756318(v=ws.10).aspx

Then, please uninstall the current graphics card drivers and setup clean boot to have a try.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

And for your question about using in-place upgrade, here is a link introduce in-place Upgrade step by step. Hope it is helpful.
    How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Friday, September 2, 2016 6:46 AM
  • Thank you for your reply,

In the meantime I found a solution which lets me logon again and system works as such.

What I did

Started safe mode and used command prompt Admin then

cd /d C:\Windows
    icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET

and after some 30 minutes it finished with a number of errors but it did the trick

now I would be able to do an inplace upgrade

Checked event viewer and see some "new" errors like

Security SPP 16385 and ESENT srudb access denied with error 1032 ID 439/490

I managed to fix some other errors - now unsure whether I shall try to fix above 2 errors

manually or whether it would be better to do an inplace upgrade or to wait for the anniversary

build for win 10 PRO - I got the anniversary build on my laptop having win 10 home yesterday

but not so (yet) for the desktop where I had this issue which has win 10 PRO

would any of the two fix the remaining errors by itself?

Kind regards

Viktor

• Edited by Viktor.Sc Friday, September 2, 2016 8:09 AM
    Friday, September 2, 2016 7:42 AM
  • Hi  Viktor,

Good to hear that you are able to perform a in-place upgrade now. in-place upgrade will repair to refresh the machine, you system will act liked reinstalled but it won`t affect the personal files. So, from my experience, these errors should be fixed after in-place upgrade.

Best regards

Friday, September 2, 2016 8:26 AM
  • Thanks a lot Rick - guess I will do the inplace upgrade unless the new build arrives soon

Kind regards

Viktor

• Edited by Viktor.Sc Friday, September 2, 2016 8:33 AM
    Friday, September 2, 2016 8:33 AM